IGNORED

Peter Gabriel So 24/FLAC download at Bowers and Wilkins

I love PG. I really do. I've seen him almost a dozen times, and we nearly named our middle child after him. I really love PG. I even like his re-imagining of both covers and his classics (Scratch My Back, New Blood). And I'm sure this remaster is probably good (although my DSD rip of the oop So SACD is quite amazing). However..... :) It has been freaking YEARS since he did any new material and created a new album!! For gods sake, Peter, get back in the recording studio and do new stuff! UP was great, but it was TEN YEARS AGO! Enough remastering and re-marketing already.

Let 'Us` know how it sounds..... :-) ?

What's the sample freq? Wonder how it compares to the SACD rip...

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

According to the SH site its 24/48. Let's hope B&W are good at this and maybe we could count on some more issues.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

According to the SH site its 24/48. Let's hope B&W are good at this and maybe we could count on some more issues.

This was not a B&W project "per se" it was Peter's "So" 25th anniversary project (tour, blu-ray "making of" etc). PG has not made any reference to any more anniversary releases in the catalog. And of course, us B&W Society of Sound members get no deal that i can find.

I received a 20% off discount as a B&W Society of Sound member.

So how does it sound?

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

I love PG. I really do. I've seen him almost a dozen times, and we nearly named our middle child after him. I really love PG. I even like his re-imagining of both covers and his classics (Scratch My Back, New Blood). And I'm sure this remaster is probably good (although my DSD rip of the oop So SACD is quite amazing). However..... :) It has been freaking YEARS since he did any new material and created a new album!! For gods sake, Peter, get back in the recording studio and do new stuff! UP was great, but it was TEN YEARS AGO! Enough remastering and re-marketing already.
+1

Did you check out his New Blood Orchestra stuff?

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Sorry Ted, I gave a fast look at a quote of your reply, hard day at work..

Listening to the So 2012 remaster here at home, and I must say I like it a lot.

Odd that it has the exact same DR as the 2002 remaster, I haven't compared song for song though, as I only own the 1986 release. Here is a link to a blog post on B&W site about the remastering.

Remastering Peter Gabriel’s So | Bowers & Wilkins | B&W speakers

So 2012 Remaster

foobar2000 1.1.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2012-10-24 18:55:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Peter Gabriel / So (Remastered 2012)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR9 -0.18 dB -11.28 dB 5:40 01-Red Rain

DR10 0.00 dB -12.25 dB 5:13 02-Sledgehammer

DR11 -1.30 dB -14.75 dB 6:35 03-Don't Give Up

DR10 0.00 dB -13.33 dB 4:49 04-That Voice Again

DR11 -0.34 dB -15.60 dB 6:18 05-Mercy Street

DR9 0.00 dB -10.81 dB 4:28 06-Big Time

DR10 -1.31 dB -14.83 dB 3:21 07-We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

DR12 0.00 dB -14.82 dB 4:22 08-This is the Picture (Excellent Birds)

DR10 -0.10 dB -13.38 dB 5:26 09-In Your Eyes

Number of tracks: 9

Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 48000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 1676 kbps

Codec: FLAC

CD Release 1986

foobar2000 1.1.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2012-10-24 18:59:48

Analyzed: Peter Gabriel / So

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 0.00 dB -12.77 dB 5:39 01-Red Rain

DR11 0.00 dB -13.35 dB 5:16 02-Sledgehammer

DR11 0.00 dB -15.72 dB 6:33 03-Don't Give Up

DR12 0.00 dB -15.42 dB 4:53 04-That Voice Again

DR12 0.00 dB -15.36 dB 5:30 05-In Your Eyes

DR12 -0.87 dB -18.57 dB 6:21 06-Mercy Street

DR12 0.00 dB -13.26 dB 4:29 07-Big Time

DR12 0.00 dB -15.79 dB 3:22 08-We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

DR15 0.00 dB -16.66 dB 4:18 09-This Is the Picture (Excellent Birds)

Number of tracks: 9

Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 1412 kbps

Codec: FLAC

@ ted et all. The "New Blood" show at Red Rocks last year was amazingly good, and the "So, back to front" tour this year also at Red Rocks was very good as well (and So is my least favorite pg album). The news is this: after a long period of almost constant touring and working, pg and family are taking a year off to travel and not work. In a recent interview pg did loosely refer to a big project, and large scale performances coming up, but, for anyone who is used to following pg news, change is the only constant. There is new music in the works, but that too could take awhile (in pg time that means years).

The Tower That Ate People really raged in the "back to front" show.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 10 months later...

So what is the verdict here with this one? Some comments over at B&W's blog is that even though the DR rating is a little lower (-2) than the 1986 CD issue, there are still improvements in detail and sound stage. Also it doesn't appear to be exactly the same as the 2012 CD issue which is -4 DR below the 1986 issue.

Do you guys think its worth $24 over a $4 used CD?

For me, nope! Best sounding version is the old PGCD 5 mastered by Nimbus (which have the same mastering as the black triangle).

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Your opinion, Robert, I have that one what I was wrote before. I should have mentioned that I speak only for digital versions...

So, for me the black triangle mastering beats the SACD...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

For me, nope! Best sounding version is the old PGCD 5 mastered by Nimbus (which have the same mastering as the black triangle).

Is that the same mastering as the generic 1986 CD? If not, how would you say the new download compares to the 1986?

(Also, can B&W downloads be purchased by us here in the U.S., or is it restricted to consumers in Europe?)

Is that the same mastering as the generic 1986 CD?

No, it is a unique one.

If not, how would you say the new download compares to the 1986

I will give you my impression tomorrow, OK?

So what is the verdict here with this one? Some comments over at B&W's blog is that even though the DR rating is a little lower (-2) than the 1986 CD issue, there are still improvements in detail and sound stage. Also it doesn't appear to be exactly the same as the 2012 CD issue which is -4 DR below the 1986 issue.

What?

You guys know this is available as a lossless download for $7.49 (regular edition) or $14.99 (special edition) from Peter Gabriel's Real World online store, right?

https://realworldrecords.com/store/product/10219/so-digital/

https://realworldrecords.com/store/product/9195/so-special-edition-digital/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What?

You guys know this is available as a lossless download for $7.49 (regular edition) or $14.99 (special edition) from Peter Gabriel's Real World online store, right?

https://realworldrecords.com/store/product/10219/so-digital/

https://realworldrecords.com/store/product/9195/so-special-edition-digital/

No I didn't know that. But the B-W release is at a higher resolution and is a different mastering.

Yes, according to comments on the b-w blog. There are obvious sonic differences, and it has a different DR value from the 2012 CD release. It's more like the 1986 CD with some improvments.

BTW I've changed my mind about downloading it.....I find Peter Gabriel's LOUD rhaspy voice gets hard to listen to for extended periods of time. :-)