IGNORED

What Desktop speaker do YOU own?

Mine are currently NHT Absolute Zero's and a sub but since I've recently been listening there mostly, time for an improvement. Winter needs a project and I'm in the early design phase of speaker optimized for desktop use. Looking for some feedback on what others prefer from their desktop listening sessions too.

I am not in the market for new desktop speakers, but if I was, the Ancient Audio Studio Oslo powered desktop speakers would be at the very top of my list of speakers to consider.

6moons audio reviews: Ancient Audio Studio Oslo

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

pic of the Oslo's:

AncientAudioOslo.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

$1k for $56 worth of drivers..........nice margin.

Don't forget the stereo amplifier in the master box.

That said, if full-range is not required, I would bet that for the same money a pair of Genelec 8020B - Designed for Monitoring in Difficult Environments - Technical Specifications will beast them - in particular given the low sensitivity (84.2 dB 1W/1m) of the full-range driver.

Finally, let's not talk about design. I would never accept such imho ugly things on any of my tables.

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

• 2 weeks later...

Another Genelec 6010A user here. Upgraded from Audioengine A5 which are also excellent VFM.

I do plan to upgrade to ATC monitors but still need to save up a fair bit.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

just recently upgraded to a pair of paradigm A2's from swan m200mkii

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000

Audioengine A5s for 5 years. Obvious limitations relative to my main system in how low they go (50-60 Hz), how loud they play without with distortion (average level ~ 80-85 dB I'd guess) and the amount of detail they provide. However, they are always enjoyable to listen to. I'm always thinking about the music rather than the speakers. $ 350 a pair well spent.

My next round might be Neumann KH120 or Focal CMS65 active monitors for $ 1500-2000 a pair.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Interested in the new KEF X300A.

Not many reviews online... have been interested in at least having a listen. Have KEF Q300 in one bedroom and a HT with KEFs so you can say I favor the brand.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Not many reviews online... have been interested in at least having a listen. Have KEF Q300 in one bedroom and a HT with KEFs so you can say I favor the brand.

I just brought in the Q series for the family-room surround rig and have been very pleased. I only wish the X300A had the 6-1/2 driver that the Q300 does to give it a little more low-end extension.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Truth is your better off without the 6.5 as it's a poored directivity match at the crossover point than the smaller driver. Best to supplement either with a quality subwoofer crossed higher to alleviate cone movement. The cone IS the waveguide for the tweeter so the less movement the better. Coaxs and coincidence drivers have their own specific tradeoffs and NOT producing or attempting frequencies below 250hz is on of em.

I do like Kef's as I still have an old pair of Reference 103.4 that work great and sound good to when I hook them up

The Truth Is Out There

Another Focal fan here. The other models mentioned in this thread are great, but if you need a small footprint like your NHT's....CMS-40 monitors make wonderful computer speakers. I use them in my home office, connected via XLR to a DacMagic Plus. A nice versatile compact system. Sounds great for near-field music playback, and the upsampling in the DM+ (when used with USB 2 driver and ASIO) dramatically improves SQ of YouTube and other steaming media.

Sonus Faber "Toy Monitors" here.Unreal sound staging & imaging,even when placed desktop & to die for midrange!

Asus "K52F" (iTunes Lossless) > Audioquest "Forest" USB > Peachtree Audio "MusicBox" > Harmonic Technology "Melody 8"Single Crystal Copper > Sonus Faber "Toy Monitor"(or Sennheiser "HD 598" cans)...