IGNORED

My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

ted_b

I would have thought disconnected the molex would be desirable to stop the dirty power from the mobo getting in but maybe the sotm shutting it off prevents it but not sure the benefit of leaving connected. I'm going this route also now as Paul Hynes is going to add a second rail to the SR5 he is building me so I can power the SOTM. I really like the battery pack but would rather not live with another box on the shelve.

I got an email with this information. I quote:

When you use tX-USBexp with applying the external power, you don't need to

connect the molex 4pin connector, but we recommend you to use it for the

safety. for example, when the external power is suddenly blocked, the

tX-USBexp will be damaged, but when you connect it to the molex 4pin, you

don't need to worry about the damages.

Thank you.

Best Regard,

May Park

Tel : +82-41-576-7663

Another UK builder here. My server isn't complete yet, but so far I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm using a Samsung SSD instead of the mSata, mostly because I used it in my Mac Mini, and I don't have the Sotm PCI USB card..still saving up for it. I'm using a Hiface EVO, with its own battery supply and a USB cable with separate data and power (I'm actually disconnecting the power after the boot because it's not required)

My linear PSU is built by Custom HiFi cables (https://sites.google.com/site/customhificables/home) and it has improved things dramatically: better dynamics, richer tone and greater control in the low frequencies. I'm happy I got the linear PSU after using a basic cheap switching PSU as I've realized the improvement it brings.

As a reference, I was using a bootcamped Mac Mini with JRiver. The two systems, despite the same software, sound very different. The Mini has a mid-bass bump quite noticeable. It sounds overall more aggressive. The CAPS is cleaner, with better dynamics and improved instrument separation.

Massimiliano

• 2 months later...
Well, here it is (cuz I did it in response...maybe it will save others :) )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2196[/ATTACH]

Hi all, I have a DAC2X running 1.61 drivers and am using Kernel Streaming because I thought it was my only choice. Based on this thread I would like to try WASAPI Event Style but when I switch to that I don't have an option under WASAPI Settings - > Device for my DAC (All I have is 'default' which doesn't work).

Any advice? I note that in this (somewhat older) thread people were using 1.29 drivers and not 1.61. Does the later version not allow WASAPI?

Thanks in advance.

Running 1.63 and still limited to Kernel Streaming.

Did u reboot the pc? As you can see from my screenshot the MA-1 has its Xmos driver show up for WASAPI (and there is no diff between our DACs at this level). Hmmm.....

Did u reboot the pc? As you can see from my screenshot the MA-1 has its Xmos driver show up for WASAPI (and there is no diff between our DACs at this level). Hmmm.....

Yup, I rebooted. My CAPS is headless and I'm using Remote Desktop and I see two options:

Remote Audio

Yup, I rebooted. My CAPS is headless and I'm using Remote Desktop and I see two options:

Remote Audio

Ian,

Remote audio tells me you are connected to the wrong drivers, maybe your RD Server. Can you use VNC or change settings in RD?

Remote Audio

Yes, using Remote desktop you can't see the "actual" drivers. Try temporarily attaching a screen and keyboard and I think you will see the driver.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

UPDATE: Introducing the NEW CAPS v2+ (NAKED version)

As you can see, it consists of the Intel DN2800MT motherboard (8GB RAM), the SOtM card and that's it!! (oh, and a small cable to connect the power button on the front). No SSD, no SATA cabling, no power SATA cabling, no molex connections to the SOtM card...nuthin!

CAPS naked1.jpg

As I've written in John Doe's wonderful thread about the Windows 8 64 bit Audiophile ISO installation, and thanks to Peter-T I have been successful in creating a version of this pared-down audiophile image of Windows 8 to run from a bootable 32GB USB stick.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/iso-usb-key-installer-preconfigured-and-stripped-down-audiophile-version-windows-8-pro-including-jriver-and-foobar-14390/index13.html#post219327

We call it Win8-on-a-stick!

And my SOtM card is powered by the SOtM battery pack, and filtered by the wonderful iFi USB power supply, so no need for the noisy Molex connection. As we know there is no power supply as the CAPS V2+ is powered externally by my rather over-built Hynes power supply. So, this is one NAKED minimalist music server, and it's running JRiver/Jplay just fine, thank you.....although it will soon be even more naked as the SOtM card will be transferred to a Zuma-sized CAPS box as the backend pc in my Jplay dual pc setup, with this skeleton CAPS as the control pc running Jriver and accessing the NAS. In full transparency I need the horsepower more for my stacked Mytek 5.1 multichannel playback more than anything,

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/first-multi-channel-dsd-playback-solution-mytek-14946/

but will kill two songbirds with one stone.

Tonight I ran music through both boots (USB and SSD) and by a slight margin preferred the USB, even though it may well measure poorer regarding latency. So i decided to pull the unnecessary stuff out of the CAPS and was amused at its minimalism, so I took the pic. :)

Great to see someone really pushing the boundaries of hardware to get the best out of JPlay Ted, giving me ideas here for some interesting projects this year.

Good luck with the 2 PC system you are planning and i am sure it will be a winner.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Hi Ted, just wondering do you think it may be a worthwhile exercise to house the bluray / motherboard and ssd for operating system in one chassis and then have the hard drives and power supply in another chassis to improve the sound quality.

Hi Ted, just wondering do you think it may be a worthwhile exercise to house the bluray / motherboard and ssd for operating system in one chassis and then have the hard drives and power supply in another chassis to improve the sound quality.

Lazz, welcome to CA. Surely having the power supply external (and clean linear and/or battery power) is the right thing to do. I don't include a ripper or bluray spinner in my design, but again it is best outside the framework. Same with the music storage (in my case ethernet-connected NAS).

I am currently debating whether the OS should be a USB-based stick approach or an internal SSD with custom SATA cabling (an area of improvement just now being addressed). I have both (not the custom SATA cabling yet) and find the USB (Win8-on-a-stick) to be queiter than stock SSD config..but the jury is still out, as most USb-based anything tends to have horrible latency issues..

Lazz, welcome to CA. Surely having the power supply external (and clean linear and/or battery power) is the right thing to do. I don't include a ripper or bluray spinner in my design, but again it is best outside the framework. Same with the music storage (in my case ethernet-connected NAS).

I am currently debating whether the OS should be a USB-based stick approach or an internal SSD with custom SATA cabling (an area of improvement just now being addressed). I have both (not the custom SATA cabling yet) and find the USB (Win8-on-a-stick) to be queiter than stock SSD config..but the jury is still out, as most USb-based anything tends to have horrible latency issues..

Ted, where are you getting the SATA cabling?

I was thinking also of putting the SSD outside (on foam) with a higher quality SATA cable and the guys on the Jplay forum led me to Paul Pang (I haven't dealt with him yet, but others have been very satisfied, and he'll reimburse your money if you don't feel satisfied).

paul professional audio studio

Other links for these cables:

Hand Made SATA Cable for CAT - diyAudio

Ted, do let us know about the USB-based OS.. I've had the same qualms about USB and latency...

Thanks.

MG555

Wonder if the OS can be housed on a RAMdisk? That's where I currently have the player software installed and the Playback Drive designated for XXHE (Win 7, Win 8 doesn't sound quite as good to me yet).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud,

let us know how RAMdisk works out. I'm not sure it is possible though.

Did a little reading. It is possible, but more fiddling than I'd like to take time for. Easier with Linux (surprise). Probably possible to script it so as to make it easier for those who're curious.

Might have some audible benefit - I liked what RAMdisks for app install and playback drive did with XXHE.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ted, What do you know of Paul Pang's USB board? Here's a comment on Jplay that interested me and I'm wondering if you can add your insight.

Specification for a high end dedicated audio PC? | Computer Audio | Forum | JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

Hi Mike,

For me the PPA card is a clear step up from the SOtM. I will talk you through the process that I used to get to that realisation. My system starts with a dual pc JPlay Ultrastream etc. which outputs to an Offramp5 with Shortblock. The best mobo port in this setup is pretty good, and was made clearly better by the Shortblock filter. I then purchased a SOtM card and it sounded terrible out of the box. Horrid. But I gave it a lot of hours (250) and the sound definitely improved, but not to the point of the mobo port. This perplexed me, so I played around a bit and basically came to the following conclusions, in order of sound quality:

Mobo port + Shortblock filter

SOtM card without Shortblock filter

SOtM card with Shortblock filter

Mobo port

The mobo port by itself is quite a way behind the the other three configurations, but configs one and two were pretty close without much separating them. There is daylight between the mobo port and any of the other three.

My first take-home message from this is that the filtering of the Shortblock is better than the filtering in the SOtM card. In my system, the SOtM card limits dynamics slightly and had an image that was a little smeared. It was still well ahead of the mobo port, but not quite to the standard of the Shortblock.

My second take home message from the testing above was that, in my system, SOtM + Shortblock does not work and the two products are not complimentary. Who knows why, but that it what I heard.

So I decided then to get a PPAstudio USB card and slipped it into my system. Straight out of the box it was not quite up to the standard of the mobo + Shortblock but Pang said that the silver transformer needed 200 hours to burn-in. At about 150 hours things came into focus, the soundstage opened up and it steadily improved to 250 hours.

I did my first listening test with about 250 hours on the card and compared it to the mobo+Shortblock. It is a different beast to the mobo port. Smoother, richer sounding, and more extended particularly in the bass: drums sound amazing, kick drums just thump and the sound is full and sharp and more right. I thought the bass was tight before, but this magnitude of improvement has astounded me. When I did some extended listening using the mobo port I really noticed how much improvement the PPAstudio card had made to the soundstage across all music genres that I listen to. Wider, with more depth in particular, and certainly more 3D. This, for me, is a massive improvement and is very, very satisfying. Plus, it plays nicely with the Shortblock filter.

But is the card for everyone? Probably not. I know people that prefer a more 'analytic' and 'thinner' sound rather than a 'musicality' that is full of definition and richness. The crispness and detail is there with this card, as much as it is with the mobo port and more so than the SOtM card, but it has brought a 'fullness' to the sound that the mobo port just could not achieve. The SOtM card sounded fuller and richer than the mobo port for me, but I could not live with the slightly fuzzy image that it provided.

All of this testing has been done using standard pc switching psu alone. Gavtron has compared his PPAstudio card and cheapo battery supply to his linear powered Adnaco and there was not much between them, but I will let Gavtron tell us all about that.

Anthony

Thanks, Anthony. I'm running a C.A.P.S. Zuma server with the SOtM USB card.

Does the PPAstudio USB card fit into the same slot?

I wonder if it will use the same battery power charger (a SOtM) that I use on the SOtM USB card? Do you know if the specs and the input pin are the same.

My audioPC is very similar to the Zuma, but in a smaller format and box with an Asus mobo. Yes, the SOtM and PPA card both occupy a PCIe slot. Power specs are 5 volt but I am not sure of the amperage although I doubt it would be many. The psu would need a standard 4 pin Molnex connector that connects to the card inside the pc and I am sure that Pang would be able to supply an adapter cable or something bespoke if you asked.

The faceplate is difficult to change and Pang supplies the card with either the long or short variant, so you need to know which one you want when you order.

MG555

Mike, I know what you know. I'm reading the same forum. I PM'd Anthony but instead he responded to all of us. Seems weird, though, that he had such issues with the SOtM card. I never felt it veiled or cloudy, etc.