IGNORED

Do you spend time listening to music with others?

bluesman

When I was under 30, one of the joys of getting a new album was listening to it with a bunch of friends. We'd replay tracks we really liked (or didn't like, if there was disagreement) and keep it going well into the night (often liberally lubricated with wine by the time the tonearm returned to its rest). I still do this with my wife and / or son, when either is interested. But over the last several years, more of my listening time has been by myself. Does listening still bring you together with others very often?

I suppose that the alleged death of the album may be partly responsible for this, along with other interests as cited by many in the album obituary thread below.

I suppose that the alleged death of the album may be partly responsible for this, along with other interests as cited by many in the album obituary thread below.

That is what playlists are for!

I have had a few GFs that would listen attentively with me, and I used to often with my father up until a few years ago- he got me into audio back in the 80's. Sadly, these days I am typically alone except for the occasional "session" with an audio buddy.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Yes, not as often as in days past. But still pretty regularly get some nice listening sessions in with some audiophile buddies.

I am not counting karaoke sessions though that usually involves more people. Different kind of fun to have with your love of music.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Time was, back in the day, when I got together with friends we always listened to music. No more. At my age now, (mid fifties) my friends are much too busy with children and grand-children. Many have moved away, a couple have passed-away.

Only in touch by email, most don't even have a hifi setup anymore. Sadly, now it's only me and my little guinea-pig Oreo.

Luckily he likes Jazz..

Typically including the disk jockey there are about a dozen or so of us in the chat room, and we discuss the music and other things.

Wow - that's an approach I never considered! The virtual couch may be replacing the real one, and that's fantastic. I'm not sure it replaces the face-to-face interaction we had in our living rooms, but it does add a new dimension to group listening. We'd be gathered at someone's apartment listening to Ed Beach's jazz radio show (he was an incredible source of knowledge about jazz and one of the first to teach and inspire from a DJ's desk). But we had no way to interact with him. I'd love to re-create that era in the modern setting you describe - I can't imagine how wonderful it would have been to be able to discuss the music and the performers with Mr Beach in real time.