IGNORED

Obsessed with Vivaldi's Four Seasons

I reluctantly counted the number of different recordings I have for Vivaldi's Four Seasons last night:

1. Karajan/Mutter, 1984. (This is the recording that did it for me, still my favorite)

2. Karajan/Mutter, 1984 DVD.

3. Nigel Kennedy's 1997.

4. Nigel Kennedy's 20th anniversary (CD and DVD).

5. Mutter/Mutter, 2011

6. Zubin/Perlman/Zukerman/Mintz/Stern, 1990

7. Perlman/Perlman, 2002

Geezz… I guess I can't get enough of it?

If you are really into this piece, which is your favorite? Do you have one that consider it to be incredible that I do not have?

I don't tire of The Four Seasons. I do give it a rest between listenings.

I have 7 recordings in my permanent collection:

recordings I've had for 35-40 years

Alan Loveday / Marriner / ASMF (very pretty playing of a traditional sort)

Virtuosi di Roma (gursy in a 50s chamber orchestra way)

more recent modern instrument recordings (The ones I listen to most often these days.)

Gideon Kremer / ECO (DVD)

Julia Fischer / ASMF (video)

Gil Shaham / Orpheus CO

HIP

Fabio Biondi / Europa Galante (a favorite too)

Sparf /Drottingholm Baroque Ensemble (not to my taste anymore)

Bill

more recent modern instrument recordings (The ones I listen to most often these days.)

Gideon Kremer / ECO (DVD)

Julia Fischer / ASMF (video)

Gil Shaham / Orpheus CO

HIP

Fabio Biondi / Europa Galante (a favorite too)

Sparf /Drottingholm Baroque Ensemble (not to my taste anymore)

Bill

I have read a lot about Julia Fisher but I have not listened to any of her recordings. Is she pretty good?

Philharmonia Baroque / Blumenstock. Stunning recording in the original instrument family.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I don't tire of The Four Seasons. I do give it a rest between listenings.

I don't know why I'm the opposite - I really can't stand it now. I guessing it's because I blasted it too much with Nigel Kennedy in the late 90's. It's a bit like my Tequila experience around the same time; can't even stand the smell of it now.

I don't know why I'm the opposite - I really can't stand it now. I guessing it's because I blasted it too much with Nigel Kennedy in the late 90's. It's a bit like my Tequila experience around the same time; can't even stand the smell of it now.

LOL! I can completely relate to that.

Speaking of Nigel. When his first recording came out I really liked it. Now, his exuberance and foot stomping technique are a little too much for me... I have his recordings for sentimental reasons but I really don't listen to them anymore.

I reluctantly counted the number of different recordings I have for Vivaldi's Four Seasons last night:

1. Karajan/Mutter, 1984. (This is the recording that did it for me, still my favorite)

My personal favourite too, even though (or maybe also because?) it irks period-instrument fundamentalists.

My personal favourite too, even though (or maybe also because?) it irks period-instrument fundamentalists.

Hehehe... true. I am a purist too but somehow the range of colors and images that I get with today's instruments keeps me choosing this recording as my favorite...

If you want a hi-rez download, try The Avison Ensemble's entire Il Cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (includes Four Seasons) on Linn. It's played on period instruments, but doesn't have as extreme tempos and phrasing as some period instrument performances.

Vade Forrester

_________________[br]Vade Forrester