IGNORED

How Many Use SPL Meter to Check Listening Volumes

Do You Use SPL Meter to Check Listening Levels?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

80dB is too loud for me. I had loud sound.

This morning, the neighbor's chainsaw symphony got fully underway at 8:00 am. I put on some Beethoven piano thingie, and the saws are louder than what for me is loud music.

So much for country living. At least the damn puppies outgrew whining.

This thread has prompted me to buy a SPL: many thanks. Before this purchase, I thought I was cranking up the volume to unsafely high levels, but in fact my brand-new SPL tells me I almost never go above 75dBa so I am pleased and reassured.

Calibrate it somehow to make sure it is right.

People obviously have different sensitivity to sound. I'm in my late 50's and I am very worried about losing my hearing. Consequently, I do most of my extended "trance" listening at 65db or lower (according to my Radio Shack meter). Any louder, and I am uncomfortable -- as I am at most live rock performances. Of course, when showing off for guests (or for very short bursts by myself) I can and do play it a bit higher.

Calibrate it somehow to make sure it is right.

The device I bought cannot be calibrated, so I have to trust that its makers got it right. I tested my brand-new SPL yesterday when my youngest son screamed that he did not want any vegetables as part of his evening meal: at a one-meter distance, the meter told me 84dBa. I agree that this was not a very scientific way of checking the calibration, but it sounded reasonable to me (the calibration, not the toddler).

Yes... I want to pretend I'm at an AC/DC concert :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I use an iPhone SPL app but for a slightly different purpose: I sometimes check the dynamic range of a piece of music. I've found most recordings apart from classical and acoustic jazz are very poor. Some of the best are old classical recordings. On these I listen at peaks levels lower than 80dB but can then get a dynamic range of more than 50dB (background noise at night goes down to 25dB). As an example Bruckner symphonies sound superb this way.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

As an example Bruckner symphonies sound superb this way.

David

I couldn't agree more. Some recent recordings are very fine foo. I listened to Rattle's Bruckner's 9th symphony Sunday afternoon with my SPL in hand (yes, this is a bit odd, I know, but it was a pleasurable way of playing with my just purchased SPL), and the sound level could go from 80dBa in fortissimis to near 40dBa in pianissimis. The result was that the music was not fatiguing at all. This was when listening to the Japanese SACD version of the recording; I can't vouch for the standard CD version, which I haven't got.

Yes... I want to pretend I'm at an AC/DC concert :-)

OK, a bit of a follow up, do you wear ear protection at concerts?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I work from home and play music in my office off of some PC speakers all day. Never thought to grab the SPL. When I'm actually involved with work I have a tendency to turn up the music to drown out everything else, including the cell phone. It can sit at this level all day and all week depending on what I'm working on, sometimes greater than 8 hours. SPL is hovering around 80db. Very informative.. I'm going to go turn it down now. Thank you

One of my clients tunes speakers at an average level of 105 dB (checked with a calibrated SLM). The rest of us wear hearing protection when he is working. Somehow he can still hear pretty well and his tuning is very successful given the sales. At the other extreme I need to listen at levels closer to 70 dB to ensure domestic tranquility when required.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

I use AudioTools on my iPad. Since my pain in the A$$ Ex-Finance lives next door (we have townhomes that share a wall), I try to keep my sound level at 90db :) I cll that reasonable since I could listen much much louder.

The most interesting use of a SPL was at the "Wish You Were Here" demo at last years Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. They were playing at about 105db which was much too loud for me.

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Freudian slip, Freddie? :) Did she used to be the bread winner?

No, it has more to do with how much she drained me :)

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

I recently bought a Galaxy Audio CM-140. I attend the Harris Institute in Toronto where I am studying audio production. We're told that 85dB SPL is a good level for mixing and mastering -- helps to get Fletcher and Munson in your corner. One of my instructors is famed studio designer Martin Pilchner. I'm going to ask him if we can use his B&K meter to calibrate my little Taiwanese import.

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

I don't currently. I do have a good idea of the peaks from my gain levels and room gain. But the crest factor is critical, and who bothers to test it? As the system improves (I switched in the subs finally) I'll need to pay more attention.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.