IGNORED

Serious Question: How many discussion on CA wind up in the stereo magazines?

It's getting to be more than a coincidence. CA starts a discussion about favorite Movie Soundtracks - three months later, six plus pages about "Favorite Movie Soundtracks" appears in TAS. Read it this morning while drinking my coffee. Might be coincidence, or it might not. But there sure are a lot of albums in that list that were noted here, many of which are - eh - uncommon.

A hot discussion starts about science/listening/objectivity/art/subjectivity, etc. A few days later, an online article appears in a Stereophile online publication.

Why Music Matters Most | AudioStream

I have noted more than a few other such "coincidences", and wonder if we are feeding a few vultures? And if so, is there anything that can or should be done?

I am all for the industry getting ahead, but darn it, it is a bit creepy to read a lot of thoughts in a for-pay rag that I think were originated, developed, argued, and otherwise fleshed out here.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have noted more than a few other such "coincidences", and wonder if we are feeding a few vultures? And if so, is there anything that can or should be done?

Very interesting. I don't think there's much to be done about it, unless the alleged offender actually plagiarizes -- it's just so hard to prove where anyone got his/her ideas from.

If what you're observing is actually happening, though, I think we should take pride in it. You can take some solace in the notion that not many magazine publishers are getting rich these days (although I guess the folks at TAS and Stereophile get some killer deals on hardware).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

• 3 weeks later...
Very interesting. I don't think there's much to be done about it, unless the alleged offender actually plagiarizes -- it's just so hard to prove where anyone got his/her ideas from.

If what you're observing is actually happening, though, I think we should take pride in it. You can take some solace in the notion that not many magazine publishers are getting rich these days (although I guess the folks at TAS and Stereophile get some killer deals on hardware).

--David

Correct! Ideas can not be copyrighted. CA is a public forum, notwithstanding one needs to register to post. But one can visit, read and "borrow". If material that is copyrighted and used by another at CA without permission that by itself does not confer the right to borrow the copyrighted material and use it in another "forum", article etc without permission of the copyright owner. There are no protections against having our ideas or selections used by others somewhere else.

However, it would be reasonable for magazines (who will unlikely admit to) to mention CA as a fertile forum for interesting information and ideas and in this way thank Chris and the rest of us. Or am I imagining things?

You can quote on that.

Best,

Richard

I've been enjoying audio mag's since the 60's and they have all pretty much listed opinion or reviews of music and movies long before CA ever existed... So I would think if you had an example and then went searching on the Al Gore Internet you would find a review of that Movie track. Reviews are an wide open topic, and remember they occur right after a premier long before most normal people have even seen the movie and post their opinion.

The Truth Is Out There