IGNORED

Woody Guthrie turns 100 tomorrow

Commemorations are being held across the country this year to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of one of the country’s greatest songwriters, Woody Guthrie. Born on July 14, 1912, in Okemah, Oklahoma, Guthrie wrote hundreds of folk songs, including "This Land Is Your Land," "Pastures of Plenty," "Pretty Boy Floyd," "Do Re Mi" and "The Ranger’s Command." While Guthrie is best remembered as a musician, he also had a deeply political side. At the height of McCarthyism, Guthrie spoke out for labor and civil rights and against fascism. In this one-hour special, you will hear interviews and music from folk singer Pete Seeger, the British musician Billy Bragg, and the historian Will Kaufman, author of the new book, "Woody Guthrie, American Radical.

Woody Guthrie at 100: Pete Seeger, Billy Bragg, Will Kaufman Honor the "Dust Bowl Troubadour"

At Smithsonian Folkways on the internet, one will find a tribute to Woody Gutherie and DLs. I have purchasd DLs there for Louis Armstrong, Olatunje and others with very good quality and reasonable prices. Learned about this site, perhaps from Paul. In any case, Woody's on the Home page.

Best,

Richard

And don't forget Billy Bragg and Wilco's "Mermaid Avenue"- previously unrecorded Woody Guthrie material.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

And don't forget Billy Bragg and Wilco's "Mermaid Avenue"- previously unrecorded Woody Guthrie material.

Also, I was surprised to find that I generally prefer Wilco's renditions to Bragg's.

Jonatha Brooke also has an album that puts music to Guthrie's lyrics, and several songs are exceptionally good, IMO.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Also, I was surprised to find that I generally prefer Wilco's renditions to Bragg's.

Jonatha Brooke also has an album that puts music to Guthrie's lyrics, and several songs are exceptionally good, IMO.

Yes, I have that album and a few others. Forgot she put Guthrie's lyrics to music. Thank you for the reminder. I am close to converting the "Bs" in my collection to AIFF files.

Best,

Richard

Jonatha Brooke's voice is not as refined as, say, Alison Krauss', but she sings with as much or more passion than any singer I can think of. Raw emotion pours thru' the microphone on most all of her albums.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Jonatha Brooke's voice is not as refined as, say, Alison Krauss', but she sings with as much or more passion than any singer I can think of. Raw emotion pours thru' the microphone on most all of her albums.

Quite agree, fwiw. And her sidemen, Joe Sample, Steve Gadd and Christian McBride with Special Guests Keb Mo', Derek Trucks, Glen Philliope & Eric Bazilian.

Happy Birthday Woody,

Richard

Jonatha Brooke The Works.jpg