IGNORED

Hi-fi wow moments in your life

Is there a moment when you heard music from a decent hi-fi that made you think "wow, I have to get that record, or get a better hi-fi". I had one such moment as a teenager when I heard dire straits Private Investigations and Pink Floyd final cut on their parents Bang and Olufsen system. I'm talking 1984. I was gobsmacked. The sound and the music was so full, so rich and amazing it turned my musical tastes to new directions and propelled me into the music and audio madness that has pre-occupied me for much of my life. Do you have a similar moment in your memory when you thought "wow"?

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Software: iTunes, Fidelia on iMac, Equaliser Pro on iPad 2

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

I have had several.

I can remember the moment of my conversion from a plain "listener" to "audiophile". It happened on a college party, where someone had set-up their fancy stereo system (probably the classic Marantz amp and large Advent speakers). They put on then-new Doobie Brothers "Black Water", and I stopped dead on the dance floor to listen. I had never heared such clarity before. i was hooked.

Just a couple of years ago, I went to visit an acquaintence in Antwerp Belgium who shares a common interest in bicycles (among others I own an antique rod-brake bicycle). It turns out he manufactured speakers and had an unbelievable soundroom in his house. We listened to music late into the night. Unbelievble sound. I discovered he was playing "FLAC" files. I bought my first DAC shortly after returning home.

I always find it interesting that non-audiophiles ask 3 questions when they listen critically to my system. The first question is, "Can you turn the volume up a little bit?", the second question is, "Do you mind turning it up just a little bit more?", and the third question is, "What CD is this, I need to buy it?"

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Those are great anecdotes, Brian. Yeh later in my teens our drama teacher lived in a converted chapel, which had great acoustics and loads of space. He was a muso and had some great hi-fi kit that sounded awesome.

I have had several.

I can remember the moment of my conversion from a plain "listener" to "audiophile". It happened on a college party, where someone had set-up their fancy stereo system (probably the classic Marantz amp and large Advent speakers). They put on then-new Doobie Brothers "Black Water", and I stopped dead on the dance floor to listen. I had never heared such clarity before. i was hooked.

Just a couple of years ago, I went to visit an acquaintence in Antwerp Belgium who shares a common interest in bicycles (among others I own an antique rod-brake bicycle). It turns out he manufactured speakers and had an unbelievable soundroom in his house. We listened to music late into the night. Unbelievble sound. I discovered he was playing "FLAC" files. I bought my first DAC shortly after returning home.

I always find it interesting that non-audiophiles ask 3 questions when they listen critically to my system. The first question is, "Can you turn the volume up a little bit?", the second question is, "Do you mind turning it up just a little bit more?", and the third question is, "What CD is this, I need to buy it?"

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

Is there a moment when you heard music from a decent hi-fi that made you think "wow, I have to get that record, or get a better hi-fi". I had one such moment as a teenager when I heard dire straits Private Investigations and Pink Floyd final cut on their parents Bang and Olufsen system. I'm talking 1984. I was gobsmacked. The sound and the music was so full, so rich and amazing it turned my musical tastes to new directions and propelled me into the music and audio madness that has pre-occupied me for much of my life. Do you have a similar moment in your memory when you thought "wow"?

I remember going over to a friend's house while in college. He had these tall, thin, floorstanding speakers that sounded absolutely remarkable (my frame of reference at that time was a Sears all-in-one I had in my dorm room).

I have to say, though, that most audiophiles tend to listen to their music at what is, to me, ear-splitting volumes. When someone wants to show off their system, they invariably turn it up to wholly unlistenable levels and all I hear is noise :/

Granted, I have next door neighbors and keep my music turned down to "normal" volumes to avoid disturbing anyone :) but I don't understand how anyone can get enjoyment out of sitting in front of a wall of sound that's the equivalent of a jet taking off LOL

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

1979 or so, when I heard a Dynaco St70 for the first time. At that time I had an Apt-Holman pre & amp. They were quickly sold and replaced by vintage Dyna gear that still resides here somewhere in highly modified forms.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I guess my first really big "wow" moment was when I was working at a student disco in 80's. We had just finished turning a (concrete) staircase into a 3 x 2 x 1.5 m ( 10 x 6.5 x 5 ft) folded horn with 2 15" drive elements, and with fairly decent upper bass/mids and some horn tweeters, driven by Quad 303 amps, supported by full-range speakers driven by tube amps designed by Tapio M Käykkä (who discovered TIM). To test the system (in the empty, 8 m (14 ft) high ballroom), I put on "Lifetime", the Moya Brennan/Bono duet from the Clannad album "Macalla". Loud. Just blew me away.

I remember going over to a friend's house while in college. He had these tall, thin, floorstanding speakers that sounded absolutely remarkable (my frame of reference at that time was a Sears all-in-one I had in my dorm room).

I have to say, though, that most audiophiles tend to listen to their music at what is, to me, ear-splitting volumes. When someone wants to show off their system, they invariably turn it up to wholly unlistenable levels and all I hear is noise :/

Granted, I have next door neighbors and keep my music turned down to "normal" volumes to avoid disturbing anyone :) but I don't understand how anyone can get enjoyment out of sitting in front of a wall of sound that's the equivalent of a jet taking off LOL

Just out of curiosity, I just tested to see what level I actually prefer.

Background in my current (hotel) room is about 45dB. Comfortable listening level to me is about 60-65dB - 70 is "too loud" and anything above 75 makes me cringe :o

By contrast, I've seen people talk about listening at "reference levels" of 90dB or more! That would definitely be a "wow" moment for me :P

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Good one. Funny. :-)

Did your dance partner agree to any more dates after that? :)

Hear, hear to that! No pun intended. ;-)

First time listening to "Lincoln Mayorga and His Distinguished Colleagues," a direct-to-disc vinyl recording, on my college era(best I could afford at the time) home stereo, consisting of a then top of the line Pioneer receiver, mid level Garrard turntable, Shure cartridge and JBL Century L100 speakers. The music was not exactly my taste but the sound was unbelievable. I've since purchased that recording again in redbook CD format and I've been left much less impressed. Holly Cole's "Temptation" is my current redbook flac file to die for, music-wise and sound-wise.

Esau

Did your dance partner agree to any more dates after that? :)
I. Must. Respond. ... Yes, we dated and danced until the end of the year. Thereafter I bought my own big stereo. She missed out.

...Holly Cole's "Temptation" is my current redbook flac file to die for, music-wise and sound-wise.
Do you mean Diana Krall? I have a lot from both artists, but only have Krall's "Temptation". Cole's claim to fame is the awesome "I Can See Clearly Now". BTW, both tracks are available on this CD:

Amazon.com: Northern Songs: The Band Rufus Wainwright, Diana Krall, Sarah McLachlan Feist Pilot Speed: Music

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I. Must. Respond. ... Yes, we dated and danced until the end of the year. Thereafter I bought my own big stereo. She missed out.

Do you mean Diana Krall? I have a lot from both artists, but only have Krall's "Temptation". Cole's claim to fame is the awesome "I Can See Clearly Now". BTW, both tracks are available on this CD:

Amazon.com: Northern Songs: The Band Rufus Wainwright, Diana Krall, Sarah McLachlan Feist Pilot Speed: Music

Brian: You are missing out then as HC's Temptation is her best album IMO. I prefer Krall's version of actual song Temptation though.

Forrest:

...Holly Cole's "Temptation" is my current redbook flac file to die for, music-wise and sound-wise....

Brian: You are missing out then as HC's Temptation is her best album IMO. I prefer Krall's version of actual song Temptation though.

Excellente! I stand corrected. I just purchased a "very good condition"used copy from Amazon for the low, low price of $0.01 (plus $2.98 shipping). I look forward to listening to it!

Excellente! I stand corrected. I just purchased a "very good condition"used copy from Amazon for the low, low price of $0.01 (plus $2.98 shipping). I look forward to listening to it!

If you like her, you'll not regret it!

Forrest:

George/Ira Gershwin's music:

Decca Records Multi-disc set/78RPM/Original Cast Recording/ George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess. I was four years old. Don't remember what the record player was. Mesmerized by the score. Followed by An American In Paris, which actually sent me into the streets of Paris. Followed by Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Margaret Whiting...

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Age 15, public library, first time listening with headphones, LP of Copland's Appalachian Spring.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The Hayden planetarium circa 1993, Pink Floyd laser show. You would think a huge dome would have terrible acoustics but whatever the production crew did to install a system to work in this environment, it was nothing less than spectacular! From that moment on, i was hooked on audio.

In 1976 I listened to Peter Paul & Mary and The Weavers when visiting a client at home. I had asked what those heater panels were (!) - Transcriptor turntable, Quad electronics, & Quad ESL 57 speakers. Definitely a WOW moment.

It wasn't very long before I assembled the first audiophile system of my own, that I liked - Linn Sondek turntable; Plinius (early prototype) electronics, KEF 105 Mk1 speakers.