IGNORED

Article: Meitner Audio MA-1 DAC Review

I received an Aqvox USB linear PSU a couple of days ago. This is really a worthwhile purchase if you're feeding your MA-1 from a standard computer. I use a Macbook Pro with Audirvana, and the Aqvox improved the sound from my MA-1 considerably, with smoother highs and a more quiet background. I've heard similar improvements with the Audiophilleo. For the price, it's a no-brainer.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

• 1 month later...

(DSD over PCM) for the MA-1, and Meitner has told me that they expect the firmware release to go public later today. It will be found here on their website:<br />

http://www.meitner.com/preview/ma-1.html#MA-1support <br />

<br />

The ability of the MA-1 to play native DSD is quite amazing (my eval is via Mac Mini). As we know, this DAC uses 128fs DSD upsampling, so to feed it a native DSD signal is quite obviously an advantage. And it truly responds with a magical sound for those recordings that show the wonder of native DSD capture.<br />

<br />

I am going to write up a full mini-review in the next few days, but suffice it to say that the reports of great PCM playback from the MA-1 are now one-upped with the reports of great native DSD playback. The drivers and firmware are version 1.0 compliant (i.e 05FA DSD markers).

Thanks for that info. I am looking forward to your mini review of the Meitner. One thing I would like to hear you address is a SQ comparison via Hynes/Mac Mini vs PK-90, considering Chris' findings vis a vis the SOtM USB output card. <br />

Also an FYI: dCS style DSD over USB is almost "officially" here for mpd (I do not know if you have pre beta versions of this for testing) I hope that Demian will offer this as an upgrade for the PK-90 in the future.<br />

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

once I added an SR3 Hynes ps to that, versus my Mac Mini and Hynes SR7 PS. Prior to the Hynes addition, the Mac Mini was much more weighty and real, but the small used Hynes I stole ($180 from used market) puts the MPD presentation slightly on top, with just as much weight, but better noise floor, better separation of images, and an order-of-magnitude easier 24/7 operation.<br />

<br />

I do not have any beta MPD DSD stuff as I am not technical enough to run it without worry (backup current MPD install, etc) but am on the same page as you regarding asking Demian to support it through an add-on. I sent Demian a few invites from the likes of lintweaker, etc.

...released new firmware now.<br />

<br />

What does "DSD over PCM" means?<br />

what is the difference between "DSD over PCM" and "native DSD playback"?<br />

<br />

I wish I could compare Playback Designs MPS-5 playing SACD disk and the same album DSD file through X-USB...<br />

<br />

On established 24/176k USB or FireWire signal paths. It is explained in dcs's white paper here or on Andreas Koch's one here too. Just do a search...I'm traveling and typing this on an iPad or I'd spend the time finding and copying the thread links. Also, Andreas published his white paper on Positive feedback online. Look there too.<br />

<br />

The good news is that several leading hardware and software manufacturers have grouped together to standardize this protocol, which is especially important for Mac servers, as they don't have any other easy way to present DSD natively within OSX.

"I wish I could compare Playback Designs MPS-5 playing SACD disk and the same album DSD file through X-USB..."<br />

<br />

Rip the DSD layer from the SACD, and play it back through your Playback Designs via USB, Pure Music, and a Mac. Then you can make a direct comparison.<br />

<br />

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...

I recently read Chris' review with great interest. My only concern was the diminished enthusiasm for the performance over the USB input. This week I was in contact with a Meitner dealer and asked for a comment on this issue. The response I got, reportedly came directly from Meitner Audio. The company says this issue has been resolved completely through a firmware upgrade.<br />

<br />

Since I would use the USB port exclusively this is an important issue for me if I am going to consider the MA-1. <br />

<br />

Has Computer Audiophile had experience with the new firmware or any feedback from the company on this issue?

of the new drivers and DAC firmware was to enable DoP (DSD over PCM), the ability to play native DSD via USB ASIO (Windows) and Class 2 audio USB (MAC and linux). I frankly can't imagine driver firmware alleviating a galvanic isolation issue (one I do not have with my Auraliti and/or Mac Mini servers) but maybe it did somehow?.<br />

<br />

I will publish my own review on my HiRez Music circle over on Audio Circle, so as not to take away or steal any of Chris's thunder. I need to get this review out asap.....short review: awesome DAC that I ended up buying. :)

• 2 months later...

Cross posting this since it involves an interaction between the D2 as well as the Meitner:

thanks for the great review, Chris! Your review is partly responsible for both my recent purchases of the Meitner MA-1 as well as the Audioengine D2 reviewed here, so I guess this is an appropriate place to bring this up.

When I recently received my D2, I was planning to use it as a SPDIF wireless transmitter with the Toslink SPDIF out feeding the Meitner MA-1. When I plugged it in though, I got sound but it was overlaid by regular clicking sounds (about 1 every second). I am guessing that this is due to an interaction between the odd 95.2 kHz output of the D2 and the reclocking systems of the Meitner MA-1.

When I plugged the SPDIF out into another DAC, the Mytek DSD DAC, I had no problems - the clicks were gone and the display indicated 95.3 khz lock.

Chris, did you ever have a chance to test the D2 toslink out to either the MA-1 or the DAC2X which has similar reclocking systems?

Anyone?

Yeang

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to completely wiping my hard drive in my music MBP and install a new, fresh system. What a difference! This really needs to be borne in mind when discussing a MacbookPro solution vs e.g. a CAPS or Aurender solution. I'm sure Chris has used an optimized OS on his MBP, but others beware if you plan to do a quick test and use any MBP at hand. Don't bother if using a fresh system is not an option for you ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone comment on potential purchase question. I can get the Meitner for pretty good price at $5000 used.

I am using a Macbook Pro with A+, solid state internal HD, and an external Firewire drive for all music files.

I am concerned about the noise Chris talked about, and lack of isolation. Not sure, if I get the Meitner, if I am then committing to a dedicated server like the Aurender X100L due to potential dissatisfaction with the noise Chris discussed if I am using the MBP?

If this is the case, I question whether some of the newer DACs with better noise isolation would be a better match?

(no dealers up here in Milwaukee, and don't feel that comfortable asking a dealer from Chicago to loan me a trial unit, and then buying used online)

any thoughts

Thanks

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Can anyone comment on potential purchase question. I can get the Meitner for pretty good price at $5000 used.

I am using a Macbook Pro with A+, solid state internal HD, and an external Firewire drive for all music files.

I am concerned about the noise Chris talked about, and lack of isolation. Not sure, if I get the Meitner, if I am then committing to a dedicated server like the Aurender X100L due to potential dissatisfaction with the noise Chris discussed if I am using the MBP?

If this is the case, I question whether some of the newer DACs with better noise isolation would be a better match?

(no dealers up here in Milwaukee, and don't feel that comfortable asking a dealer from Chicago to loan me a trial unit, and then buying used online)

any thoughts

Thanks

I had the Meitner for over two years, using its USB input with a laptop as the front end, and experienced no noise whatsoever. Just terrific sound. I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard. If you're patient, you should be able to find it for less than $5k.

Good luck.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass