IGNORED

Article: MOG v. Spotify Part II

Sent an message to Mog yesterday. Received reply today. Not bad service. Here's what they had to say about Squeeze,<br />

<br />

Hi David -<br />

<br />

We are currently working on developing an application for use through Squeezebox. I'm told that we're expecting it to be ready for release some time this coming fall.<br />

<br />

Please stay tuned!<br />

<br />

Thanks for using MOG!<br />

Dale

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

I've been going through all the services... And I'm on Rdio now. I'm very pleased with it. Easy to use interface, very good mobile apps (iPhone and iPad), and decent sound quality (320k) on PC (read that on their help site somewhere), supports caching to mobile, and is pretty speedy. I'm currently subscribed to MOG (good selection) and Slacker (love their stations for background listening) but I would definitely say Rdio is worth checking out... so far they seem to have the least amount of negatives of the bunch.

Awesome comparison. It's really down to Spotify and MOG for me. I love MOG's more simplistic but combined playlist + radio features as well as last.fm scrobbling integration. But one thing kills MOG for me -- 500-song limit on playlists. I like to create large playlists and constantly add new music/artists/songs as I find it, essentially turning it into its own massive radio station. <br />

<br />

In turn I use the radio feature to continually find new music. <br />

<br />

If anyone knows a way (or when MOG is planning to remove the 500 song limit) I'd love to know.

I've just downloaded the MOG app on Mac. Airplay works seamlessly. I love the instant access to content and audio quality is pretty good. Good enough that there are plenty of CDs I would NOT buy and use this service instead. I'll save my cash for those discs that I really want that last degree of fidelity.<br />

<br />

Having a native app certainly helps with navigation. (forget the Roku app). Still there's a long way to go in finding new content. The top album charts are POP centric. Which is fine if you like Jay Z. I'd love to see chart lists broken down by genre. Also if would be great if they had an intelligent recommendation system like Netflix or the iTunes genius. <br />

Is Spotify better on this?

@harmonica2 - I too tried streaming Spotify to Apple TV with AirFoil and found the fidelity wanting.<br />

<br />

If you haven't heard already, MOG introduced a desktop client for Mac yesterday with native AirPlay capabilities. Sounds much better, and is free to boot.<br />

<br />

I signed up for a MOG trial after reading this article, and will probably drop my Spotify subscription and switch. <br />

<br />

Thanks again Chris!

Please read the relevant section of the PM manual (Playthrough). As of v1.8 it let's you use most PM features (EQ, upsampling, etc) with any audio source, not just files. You need to install the Channel D Pad driver and set it as output device in Audio MIDI Setup. I don't have a method of verifying the source bitrate but my DAC receives 24/96 audio, so I suppose the MOG stream is routed through PM's upsampler. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one...?

Thanks- I read the manual and have not had success getting the streaming bit to work well at all. Yes, I installed the PAD, and yes, it is selected for the default output, though I have PM selected to use my DAC of course. <br />

<br />

I doubt it is PM, probably some interaction here, though I am running it on a fresh copy of MacOS Lion, with nothing else installed. <br />

<br />

<br />

-Paul<br />

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

David D. - Have you noticed that if you use iTunes to "Airplay" an internet radio station streaming at only 64 kbps to your Apple TV 2, the fidelity trounces the MOG application steaming at a higher bitrate also using Airplay to the Apple TV 2?<br />

<br />

I'm afraid Apple may have built in some kind of advantage for iTunes when using Airplay to the Apple TV 2.<br />

<br />

This would explain the large variance in opinions about the Apple TV 2 on this forum. Those using some of the fancier players may be experiencing a degradation in their signal, while those using iTunes are achieving good results.<br />

<br />

For myself, using iTunes/Airplay to stream Apple Lossless to the Apple TV has been fantastic, but I'm starting to wonder if other players sound bad (and perhaps by design).

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Okay, you almost had me sold to go MOG instead of Spotify. My biggest problem, however, is the lack of full shuffle functionality. The ONLY way to shuffle playlists/downloads, etc. is on the mobile app and ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE RADIO FEATURE TURNED OFF. <br />

<br />

On Spotify, i have more songs at my fingertips and even on desktop version, I am able to make long playlists and shuffle them. This is a basic necessity these days...and without full functionality, i think i prefer Spotify...<br />

<br />

Have you heard if this will be updated anytime soon?<br />

Thanks,<br />

T

Chris: <br />

<br />

Thank you for the great comparative review. Based on the results of your comparison I took the plunge and signed up for MOG. After a couple of weeks usage I can flatly say that MOG is great. I travel constantly for my day job and have used the service while on the road though my laptop and iDevices. I am completely hooked and am tossing my Pandora subscription. Once again CA provides insightful and useful guidance. <br />

<br />

Greg

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

I really appreciate Chris exposing me to MOG (and Spotify), but after a couple weeks of heavy auditioning, neither are audiophile products, and if you want to do serious listening through serious gear, either will grate on the nerves in only minutes. <br />

<br />

For a walk in the park or on the beach, with an iDevice, and a pair of Koss Porta Pros, either has excellent utility if you have enough 3G bars.<br />

<br />

They're really just better mousetraps than Pandora, with appropriately higher price tags.<br />

<br />

Both need a mobile only option for me to continue to pay, $4 - $5 per month would be fair.<br />

<br />

JB

I don't really understand why you would be investing time in reviewing streaming services. This site is called "Computer Audiophile" and all of these services are streaming compressed files. Regardless of the features and variety of music available I don't think any audiophile would seriously consider compressed files to be worthy of serious listening on a top quality sound system.

To me there is a compelling reason - a CD is typically $10 at a minimum, and hiRes music downloads start at around $13. <br />

<br />

That is a heck of lot of money to spend if you want to hear and decide if you like say, 10 artists / albums / etc. per month. <br />

<br />

For $10, you can "preview" - albeit in limited quality - almost any artist that hits your fancy.<br />

<br />

For instance, I have never ever purchased a "Pearl Jam" album, but listening to a few on MOG has convinced me to try one. (I know, that is near blasphemy to some particular Pearl Jam fans around here... :) <br />

<br />

In short, it is a better, more directed use, of the limited money I have to buy new music. It is better than iTunes, since I cannot buy even CD resolution tunes on iTunes yet.<br />

<br />

Though, the moment iTunes starts selling full Cd resolution or higher, you can bet I will spend a great deal of my music budget right there. Just the convienence factor alone... <br />

<br />

I downloaded the George Harrison <i>All Things Must Pass</i> Sunday, and had to hand type in all the metadata. I was NOT pleased with that. <br />

<br />

-Paul<br />

<br />

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi sg60 - Thanks for the question. Paul hit the nail on the head in his response above. <br />

<br />

These services are excellent for music discovery. Plus, as I said in the review I've purchased more music than every before now that I have the capability to listen to it via MOG. Without good music my computer audio system is a waste. <br />

<br />

I no way do I think the lossy quality of either service is acceptable in the long run. That's why I listen first, then purchase the music in full quality. I really wish there was a one-click purchase button in MOG that would link to my Amazon account. Oh wait, maybe I don't as that would get real expensive.<br />

<br />

Plus, this article has been one of the most popular articles on CA in the last few weeks. MOG has linked to it as well as Billboard magazine online. Getting "regular" people over here to CA is a good way to expose them to the possibilities of better sound quality. That's a great thing for this wonderful hobby of ours.<br />

<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The sound quality of MOG at 320 kbps is more than adequate for casual listening. Especially in the car or with headphones connected to my mobile phone. I can easily distinguish if the music is something I'll enjoy at that quality and will purchase the album on vinyl if I take a liking to it. <br />

<br />

Are you sure you have the settings configured for high quality streaming?

harmonica2 - <br />

<br />

Did a quick test and I'm not getting the same results. Streaming iTunes radio via AirPlay produces noticeably lower audio quality for me, especially the 64 kbps stations. However, the volume was definitely higher.<br />

<br />

Also (re-)tested MOG w/Airplay vs. Spotify w/Airfoil on a few songs, both at 320 kbps. MOG definitely sounds better, especially on the low end. <br />

<br />

I have been using remoteless for Spotify, which is really handy. Does anyone have a remote control app for MOG to recommend?<br />

<br />

Thanks.