IGNORED

Article: Peachtree Audio Nova Review Part II

• 2 weeks later...

So at the end of the day, what we're saying is that the DAC embedded in this little integrated amplifier with built-in DAC and headphone amp - for $1200 - is superior to that of the giant-killer Benchmark DAC1? - assuming you use coax, of course. That's truly impressive. Even if you skip using the Nova as an amp, you still have an impressive DAC, preamp, and headphone amp for $1200! Wow.

-TS

Audio Rig: Transporter -> Behringer DEQ2496 -> NAD M2 -> Paradigm Studio 60s v.5 -> Treated listening room

One of my local shops, where I've been spending too much time lately, carries them - and they're flying off their shelves too! It all makes me wish I was in the market for such a device. Thanks, btw, Chris for your fantastic reviews and founding Computer Audiophile. It is just such a great resource! I've been lurking here for a while, and finally thought it was high time I started making a contribution.

-TS

Audio Rig: Transporter -> Behringer DEQ2496 -> NAD M2 -> Paradigm Studio 60s v.5 -> Treated listening room

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this unit from the original owner who had properly burned it in before selling it a few months later to me. I bought it as I needed to get a unit with a remote and I needed to put most of my audio equipment into a AV storage unit.<br />

<br />

The only good comparison I can make to another unit is what it is replacing .... a Unison Unico 80W with built in phono stage, and I was using a MHDT Paradisea USB DAC.<br />

<br />

I have to say the Peachtree (with NAD PP2 phono stage) isn't up to par with the Unison.<br />

<br />

The speakers I am using are Opera Mezza monitors, digital source is Macbook playing AIFF files, analog source is Rega P25/DV 20X.<br />

<br />

On the digital side its pretty close to the Peachtree, but the Nova is lacking a bit in bass extension and weight, and the Unico has a little bit more something, a fuller sound.<br />

<br />

On the phono side of things there is a big dropoff across the board. This I assume is probably mostly due to the Unico phono stage being better than the NAD PP2? Won't know for sure until I try a better phone stage.<br />

<br />

To get back to the sound I am looking for I will probably need to get an amp to use with the Peachtree as a PRE/DAC, and a better phono stage. So after that expense, I don't consider the Peachtree a "giant killer". But it is a pleasant enough sounding unit.

Hi Sandman <br />

<br />

I had been running a NAD PP2 into the Peachtree for a while (using a Rega P1 with Ortofon OM20 cart) and I thought this sounded very veiled (I loved the Nova as a DAC/integrated with digital sources, though, like I said in my post from February in my previous setup). <br />

<br />

I've since upgraded just about every component that I have in a spasmodic fit of GAS - including replacing the PP2 with a PS Audio GCPH and the P1 with a VPI Classic - but during the equipment transition I did have the following setups that I can comment on, which may be useful regarding your phono stage situation:<br />

<br />

Rega P1 -> PP2 -> Nova -> Focal 1027be<br />

VPI Classic -> GCPH -> Nova -> Focal 1027be<br />

<br />

This is an apples-to-oranges comparison because I never tried the P1/GCPH combination, but the difference in sound between the P1/PP2 and VPI/GCPH - both into the Nova/Focals - was drastic (for the better). That's not that surprising given the difference in the components, but I strongly suspect the PP2 was the weakest piece.<br />

<br />

I'll try hooking up the P1 to the GCPH this weekend to clarify this, but I suspect you are right about the PP2 being a drag in your setup.<br />

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Good reviews (both). Sorry if somehow I missed it, but have you compared<br />

<br />

Mac Pro OS X > Built-in optical TosLink digital output > Nova optical digital input 1<br />

vs<br />

Mac Pro OS X > USB > Nova USB digital input <br />

<br />

I've been using a $0.33 optical TosLink without problems, and I couldn't convince myself that it sounded any better or worse than USB, but I don't have much faith in my ability to hear subtle differences.

Thanks for the comments.<br />

<br />

"I'll try hooking up the P1 to the GCPH this weekend to clarify this, but I suspect you are right about the PP2 being a drag in your setup."<br />

<br />

If you get around to that, definitely let me know what you hear! Thanks in advance.

I just listened to a Nova feeding a pair of ERA D5s at Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC. On the input side I had two configurations: 1. Mac -> USB -> Nova, 2. Mac -> USB -> Proton -> Nova, so the Nova amp was used in both cases. If I settled on the Proton, I was likely going to pair it up with a different amp, obviously. But this comparison allowed me to rule out any affects the amp may have had on the sound.<br />

<br />

I am fairly picky about my audio, much more than the average person, but probably not as much as many on here. My reaction is that the pure Nova configuration sounded much more open, much better sound stage than the Proton. The Proton sounded "muffled" in comparison. I was surprised, I had been expecting the opposite. As a computer person, I was expecting the Proton's DAC to generate "higher resolution audio". BThe differences I noticed varied depending on the music, but overall I strongly preferred the Nova setup (without the Proton). I probably won't be buying anything for another month or two, but right now I am strongly leaning towards just getting the Nova and D5s.

Dave

• 1 year later...

I bought my Nova about 15 months ago, based largely on this review, and a few others.<br />

<br />

Overall, I am quite happy with it still. The main limitations I have come up against are (a) no way to over-ride the DAC up-sampling, (b) toslink at 96kHz can be a bit hit or miss, and © I needed a bit more power for the amp. Fortunately, the way the Nova is put together, (b) and © were easy to address. I'm now using a USB to SPDIF bridge, and an external amp (one I made from a kit and have housed in a case that matches the Nova (Peachtree very kindly let me buy an extra case).<br />

<br />

Their customer service has been absolutely superb, and I still believe I got very high value for what I spent on this thing. I would recommend it to anyone, but for a novice just starting out like me, it was a great way to jump-start my entry into the realm of computer audio.<br />

<br />

The new products look even better.<br />

• 1 month later...

After much research and a limited budget, I finally got my "new" system up and running. Everything was purchased used on Audiogon except the cables and wires. I'm completely satisfied and utterly impressed with the quality of the Peachtree Audio Nova, the centerpiece of it all. Thanks for the great review!

iMac OS X 10.7.1/iTunes/Amarra MINI > Airport Express > Wireworld Supernova 6 TOSLINK > Peachtree Audio Nova/Pro-Ject Debut III > NAD PP2i phono preamp > Audioquest Copperhead RCA > NHT SB3 speakers

• 2 months later...