IGNORED

Article: Sonic Studio Unveils Amarra

Hi sq225917 - The thing with Sonic Studio is that it sells a complete solution. Both the software and hardware are key components. Many people overlook the effects software has on sound. Purchasing a $9k DAC without Amarra would not get you as much as the complete Sonic Studio solution in my opinion. Of course it depends on the DAC and personal preferences, it's entirely possible to get to the desired sound many ways.<br />

<br />

Good question though and I bet many people are thinking the same thing.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

<br />

<br />

http://www.vrsaudiosystems.com/article_software.htm<br />

<br />

<br />

this article was written by one of the sales folks at VRS Audio Solutions, who were involved in a collaboration with Sonic Studio.<br />

<br />

It does NOT seem to address the bit-perfect question, but does point out some areas where they think software can degrade sound.<br />

<br />

The Sonic Studio 304 hardware has significant DSP capabilities - built in to the same box containing the DAC.<br />

<br />

One could easily question whether some sort of DSP is embedded in the playback/DAC process given the features mentioned on the Amarra website.<br />

<br />

• Specialized mathematical algorithms for Ultra-Fidelity reproduction<br />

• Advanced Software-Hardware based Sonic Equalisation<br />

<br />

The DSP capabilities of the Sonic Studio 304 (sourced from Metric Halo) would seem to easily allow for real-time upsampling of very high quality.<br />

<br />

Please note: the comments above are speculative on my part.<br />

<br />

Anyone wanting to do their own speculation could peruse Sonic Studio's Soundblade software, and Sonic Studio 304 (or Metric Halo's ULN-2 2D w/DSP and 2882 w/DSP).<br />

<br />

I currently use a Metric Halo ULN-2 2D - Toslink in from Apple TV OR Firewire from a MBP.<br />

<br />

<br />

More info is available at http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.html<br />

<br />

enjoy,<br />

clay<br />

• 9 months later...

Hi,<br />

I just installed the mini Amarra. I did not hear any difference with Amarra on or off. Does the sonic improvements only work with Firewire? I am using USB async DAC, so not sure if there would be any sonic improvements. Any suggestions?<br />

<br />

Thanks<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

My system is <br />

Mini Mac, Rigde street USB, Vekian DAC, Audio Valve Conductor, 300b Audion golden dreams monoblocks, Audiomachina speakers, Valhalla, tara omega and wel signature cables, and bmi cables.

Music after life

• 2 months later...

I'm with Ajay here, Amarra does nothng for me with my Macbook pro-optical into my CA 840c. I think I can hear a subtle something with my IbassoD10, but nothing I'd pay for, certainly nothing like ensuring my headphones are on exactly right.<br />

<br />

17\"MB-Pro-Weiss 202-Muse 200- NS 1000M

• 1 month later...