IGNORED

Move Me !

I've just spent the past couple of hours listening to some amazing classical music and I thought, hey, why not start a thread on the computer audio forums - a thread for music that moves you.

Laugh at me if you like, but music moves me, not just classical, it can be any genre. Whether it reminds me of old times, or I feel the music itself, it can be very moving.

I'd like to know, so I can go off and listen, the music that moves others.

My listening session this afternoon:

Ennio Morricone - Gabriels Oboe

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

John Williams - Concerto De Aranjuez Adagio 2 (slightly long in the mid section but builds to an almighty high beyond 8 minutes)

Debussy - Clair de Lune

Ennio Morricone - One Upton A Time in the West (Main Theme)

Rick Clarks version of Any Other Name

Post away and leave the techy threads for a bit - but only for a bit of course!

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Well, not a classical in everybody standarts but sure a classical imo standarts: Eno _ Here Comes the Warm Jets. The guitar solo on "Babies on Fire" is just mind blowing stuff...i don't know if it was played by Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music) or Robert Fripp...they both played guitar in this album.

PC / Pro-Ject USB dac (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X10-D (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X-A1 (modded)/ B&W CDM1 SE/ Supra Power Cables/ Nordost Flatline Speaker Cables

...and raise you 'St. Elmo's Fire.'

My list would be impossibly long, so here's what jumps to mind on a freezing cold Sunday morning:

- all of "Miles Ahead," which is, of course, a suite Gil Evans constructed for Miles out of various parts.

- 'Thunder Road,' piano and celeste (?) live from the 75-85 Springsteen boxed set.

- 'Blind Willie McTell,' 'Mississippi' and 'Love Henry,' Dylan.

- 'Waters of March,' Susannah McCorkle

- 'Redwood Tree,' Van Morrison

- 'Ko-Ko,' Ellington

- all of "Goin' Home," Archie Shepp & Horace Parlan

- 'Free for C.T.,' Mal Waldron

The above picks try to hit the same "this is what transports me" mood the OP cited, though there are, of course, other ways to be moved.

s.

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

I'm listen to T.Rex _ The Slider.

Positive vibes and incredible swagger. Music makes me travelling in time, feel like a teenager again....;)

PC / Pro-Ject USB dac (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X10-D (modded)/ Musical Fidelity X-A1 (modded)/ B&W CDM1 SE/ Supra Power Cables/ Nordost Flatline Speaker Cables

Now this is what I like! Sharing what moves us, introducing to each other new artists and new music.

A couple (few to be precise) of songs on my iPod at the moment that really move me are:

Standing - Patti Griffin - From the Album Impossible Dream

Rimsky-Korsakov - Our Father - from the Album Sacred Treasures III Choral Masterworks from Russia and Beyond

Till the Sky Falls Down - Dash Berlin (Vocal Mix)

I could go On & On but this will do for now.

Tell me more about both, please:

Rimsky-Korsakov - Our Father - from the Album Sacred Treasures III Choral Masterworks from Russia and Beyond

How's the whole album? Is it worth owning for more than just this track? What else is good and what can I learn?

Till the Sky Falls Down - Dash Berlin (Vocal Mix)

What kind of music?

tks,

s.

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

Hi Satkinsn!

1. This album, along with the other 4 in the series released by Hearts Of Space are worth selling something precious for. In their usual style, Hearts Of Space have scoured the world for the best tracks, compiled them in a most moving sequence, and mastered them with astonishing musicality. The artists and recording locations vary but the whole effect is coherent, sacred and prayerful.

This said, my favourite is Sacred Treasures III.

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Treasures-Choral-Masterworks-Russia/dp/B000000X8J/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232327669&sr=1-1

2. Till the Sky Falls Down is Trance Music with astonishingly beautiful vocals. The Single CD is no longer available but an mp3 is available at Amazon.com for download.

http://www.amazon.com/Till-Sky-Falls-Down-Vocal/dp/B0019K9A2O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1232327745&sr=8-5

Hope this is of some use to you.

Alright I'm finally getting into this thread. It really is what this is al about! Without moving music we'd have a pretty boring hobby.

Lately I can't stop listening to John Hiatt's song Learning How To Love You from his album Bring the Family. I ripped the DVD-Audio 24/96 version to my music server and it's truly fabulous. Here's a link to the DVD-A if anyone is interested in purchasing it.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14033

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Curtis Mayfield - People Get Ready

Gene Clark - No Other

The Band - The Unfaithful Servant

Yndi Halda - We Flood Empty Lakes

Derek Trucks - Mahjoun

Mos Def - Mathematics

Battles - Race In

Terry Reid - Seed of Memory

Tom Waits - Hold On, Dirt in the Ground, Georgia Lee, Come on Up To the House

Nick Cave - Moonland

Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones

Greatest rock and roll track of all time

Can sing along to it in the shower...

Even novices can drum along to it...

..or great for air guitaring along with the lead guitar solo....

But try actually replicating those blues variations and chord progressions....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

...anyone with Curtis, Mos Def and Captain Beefheart on the same list gets a deep bow.

I'll add the Captain's "One Red Rose That I Mean" to my list.

Also, on a mildly different note, I am specifically moved by a certain kind of modal jam (musicians, I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the term):

- 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,' Allman Bro.s

- 'So What,' Miles

- 'Kitty's Back,' Springsteen, live

- 'My Favorite Things,' live @ Newport, Coltrane

- 'Moondance/My Funny Valentine,' Van Morrison (live)

There's a kind of open-ended energy to this music that I find heartening.

s.

Beethoven: Sym.7 - Carlos Kleiber: Bavarian State Opera Orchestra

(http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonie-7-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B000EDWLY6/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232679394&sr=8-10)

Beethoven: Sym.9 - Bernstein: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

(http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2746905)

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No.14 "Moonlight" - Brautigam

(http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Mondschein-Pastorale-Complete-Brautigam/dp/B000M4REYE/ref=pd_sim_m_7)

Elgar: Enigma Variations - Boult: London Philharmonic Orchestra

(http://www.amazon.com/Elgar-Enigma-Variations-Circumstance-Marches/dp/B00000DO96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232679487&sr=1-2)

Wagner: Tannhäuser (overture) - Solti: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

(http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Orchestral-Favourites/dp/B00000422O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232681975&sr=1-7)

will also 2nd some of the other recommendations - Ennio Morricone (very moving), Coltrane, Miles, Ellington (a diff. sort type of "moving"), & oh yeah... Led Zeppelin ROCKS!!

Thanks All for your responses. Hadn't been on for a few days so delighted to see all these posts.

I've got some listening to do it would seem.

Excellent - this is what it's all about.

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

• 1 month later...

The Brandenburg Concertos -- When I was a young lad, knee-deep in prog pretensions, some kind soul put this on a turntable nearby. I wore through the grooves immersing myself in smoke and Bach as if it were an early, undiscovered Pink Floyd album.

Big Love -- For you John Hiatt fans, this cut from the side project "Little Village" says everything there is to say about sex that isn't said in "Solar Sex Panel" from the same record.

You Don't Know What Love Is -- Sonny Rollins, Saxaphone Collossus. Speaking of sex, if you can listen to this all the way through and not get horny, check your pulse.

Listen to the Lion -- Van Morrison, It's Too Late To Stop Now. Damn. Really. Damn. How can this chubby little man be Dylan, Richard Thompson and james Brown all at once? Damn.

Astral Weeks -- The whole thing. Every second of every track. The mastering is pretty flat but totally incapable of removing even a gram of passion from this masterpiece.

If You See Her Say Hello -- Requires no explanation

Fade Away -- Speaking of bad mastering, or just bad recording, Springsteen's "The River" comes to mind. You just can't hold back the ballads on this record, though. Heart-breaking, dark and gorgeous.

Carlos Santana's Hands -- I know, I know...not a song or even an album. Sorry. The guy could play Happy Birthday and bring me to tears. Then, like Astral Weeks above, there is a list of whole albums that are just, well, I can't separate the tracks, I can't listen to them without listening to the whole thing, I can't stop...

Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk

Lark's Tongues In Aspic - King Crimson

Just A Little Lovin' - Shelby Lynn

'Round About Midnight - Miles Davis

Time Out - Dave Brubeck

....there are so many more.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

I'm drowned in sound from the chaotic harmony of The Mars Volta - the Bedlam In Goliath. The real progressive band of our time?! Omar Rodriguez Lopez is for sure one of the best guitarists around.

Currently...

"House of Cards"... Radiohead.

"Your ears should be burning

Denial, denial

Your ears should be burning"

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

• 2 weeks later...