IGNORED

iTune bit perfect on PC

rom661

I apologize in advance if this is in the archives somewhere; I wasn't able to find anything. I am a sound guy. I am very good at putting things together and optimizing them as well as evaluating quality, at least for my tastes as well as trying to assume others' perspectives. However I am often asked questions by my customers about computer applications that I'm not qualified to answer.

This one has come up several times recently. I was always under the impression that iTunes running on a PC was not the way to go. Recently I had a fairly astute customer tell me that they believe that iTunes on a PC is, in fact, viable and bit perfect, although you lose the ability to use Remote.

Any input to clear up my confusion would be welcome.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

It's my understanding that iTunes on Windows is but perfect so long as you select the sample rate correctly in both Windows Audio control panel and also in the iTunes / QuickTime control panel. This works fine with the iOS Remote app.

There was a plug in for an earlier version on iTunes that allowed you to use iTunes interface with the playback through Foobar: this plugin does t work with versions of iTunes which support the remote control.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Back when I was researching audio from Win XP, I ended up with Foobar because it could use ASIO or Kernal Streaming to allow bit perfect output, and to avoid the audio data stream being involved with the KMixer in windows. KMixer will up/down sample the music to blend in the other sounds the computer makes. As I use a Mac now, I an not positive if the wasapi (sp) mode of Win7 achieves the ASIO effect, but it is what I use with Foobar with Bootcamp when I use Win7.

I have not A/B'd Foobar to iTunes in a few years, I reflexly use Foobar in windows. On the Mac I prefer Fidelia with hog mode. Hog mode makes such a difference, that if I were to move back into windows, I would add that feature to a remote capability to my "need" features for playback software.

I prefer the music organization features of iTunes, but that's probably habit, and comfort zone for me at this point, and my playlists migrate to Sonos.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

An answer! Thanks for the info, Eloise.

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

I have used iTunes on WIN7 and it works fine, installs quickl and easily and no problems at all. But I only installed it for its Internet Radio which is excellent. But at those low bit rates bit perfect hardly matters of course.

Tried it out of curiousity on some ripped CDs, at the correct speed, bit perfect as far as I can tell, and it also works fine. Sound quality is indistinguishable from my normal JRiver/WASAPI Event Style setup.

But I think the GUI is poor (my opinion only) and having to manually change the bit rate is a complete pain. Having to do it in two unrelated places is even worse.

I don't have any suitable remote so can't try that.

But, IMO, using iTunes on Windows is a 'cack handed' way of doing things.

Trust me, it's not my recommended approach. I just need an answer when someone asks me the direct question. Then I will try to talk them out of it.

Rick

Same here. I did suggest J. Rivers. I didn't know about the remote app. He has tons of music in iTunes as lossless files. Haven't convinced him so far.

Best

Rick