IGNORED

You might be an old guy if...

if you reach for the 45rpm spindle adapter to play your CDs and wonder which is side one and why the damn spindle won't fit in the middle!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

... You spent hours cranking' your grandpas Victrola listening 78's of Sargent Preston's Theme and Caruso and Toscanini.

... You built crystal sets from scratch.

... You had a Zenith console am/fm/shortwave in your room.

... Your dad took you to a demo of The Fisher mono console which played the new 33rpms, but it was too expensive. It was real walnut.

... You coulda bought Apple stock for under $5 - and didn't. But you did buy a Lisa and an accompanying Imagewriter dot matrix.

Ah, Memory Lane...

Heh! You think it's funny now...just wait!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

If you think the Linn LP12 is pretty neat and new fangled...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

you worked 30 years, retired, have a healthy pension, solid 401k, great health care, no mortgage while the "kids"(anyone younger than the old guy) are still trying to figure out if they need a DAC and continue to worry about if 24/192 or that recent purchase of a $500 speaker cable really makes an audible difference.

The Truth Is Out There

At $0.50/hour I had to work 2 hours to buy one single record (song).

We didn't have a dryer in those days so everything (including dad's boxer shorts and hankies) had to be ironed. I used to stack up the 45s on the record player & iron to the music. I could finish 1 long-sleeved button-up dress shirt per song.

"Baby I Love You" (Andy Kim), "Crystal Blue Persuasion" (Tommy James) & "Hair" (Cowsills) were my favorites.

I'd watch the Packers every week with my dad on our old black & white TV accessorized with a rotating stand-alone TV antenna which could be pointed to either Milwaukee or Chicago. I remember that ice bowl game & Packer greats like Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke & Vince Lombardi like it was yesterday - where has all the time gone?

I missed this reply to my thread when it went by...

Looking through the drawers and boxes of old cables is certainly a stroll down memory lane!

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

at 56......I'M OLD.

I try not to behave like an old guy. I have the "Peter Pan Syndrome".

Your old if you.....

Remember penny candy.

Remember soda-pop in ice cold glass bottles spit out of a vending machine or bought at the corner store out of water cooled chests.

Remember when as a child you could go to the same corner store and buy cigarettes cause' they knew they were for your parents.

Remember when you could hop a bus or train at the age of eleven or twelve and go downtown with friends and NO ONE would even had thought of bothering you.

Remember when there were NO shopping malls.

Remember when propane grills hadn't been thought of yet.

God I miss the old days.

Party on and love to you all.

Mark

Mark B - 70's Audiophile Dinosaur - Mac Mini 2.3 i5 Lion - Dual RAID-1 LaCie 2big Quadra 2TB - - Burson DA160 - Audioquest Forest USB - Stock Burson interconnects - Jolida JD202BRC - 12 gauge zip with banana plugs - Mordaunt-Short Carnival 2s'

Got by 4 years

You know your old when...

Your children studied events in history that you lived through ...

At one time, did you think pong, 8-track tapes or cars with fins were cutting edge technology

You remember when they programmed computers with cards

You could sing the theme song to 'Green Acres,' 'Beverly Hillbillies' or 'Gilligan's Island

You told your children all rap music sounds the same? (Remember when you parents said that about your music?)

Getting "lucky" means you found your car in the parking lot.

The Truth Is Out There