IGNORED

You might be an old guy if...

You might be an old guy if you actually listen to a whole album from start to finish in one sitting.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

If you put a CD "shiny side up" in a (shiny side down) CD-player and have to call your son at work to ask why it does not play, and the display says "N0 d1sk".

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

you see the word CD-4 and don't assume it's a new redbook standard!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

I started a blog topic here on remotes, so details are there.

Briefly, the first is the L5 remote, which is about $40. You stick it in your iPad or iPod or iPhone and you use the free software to customize the interface. It is quite good. It is primarily programed via learning, which I actually prefer to the way Harmony does it. It is very customizable. I loaned it to a friend. I found people in my family at least seem to prefer to use a physical remote. However, for less than 1/2 the price of the Harmony Link (which I finally gave up on and returned), it seems to work better.

The second is the RedEye version of the same thing. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it works similarly. Chris has a review on RedEye, but I think the dongle might be newer.

...you have ever booted a computer with a card deck, held a 4K toroidal memory, or replaced read / write heads on a 256k removable platter hard drive.

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

You remember saying "Hey that Napster sounds pretty good!" while listening over a set of laptop speakers and being seriously impressed!

Or you might be getting to be an old audiophile if you prefer to forget you didn't think that!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

You remember when wireless meant the transistor radio!

You read the audio sections of Radio Shack catalogues from the 1970s whilst reminiscing about how you used to read the audio sections of Radio Shack catalogues during the 1970s. But you still have the commonsense to laugh at those home 8 track decks they used to sell.

Hell, I have copy of the PDP-8 Programmers Reference!

Chuck Elliot

Emotiva XDA-1

Sony BDPS560 (Bluray)

SA 8300HD DVR (Time Warner)

Onkyo 808 (spot reserved for Emotiva XMC-1)

Emotiva UPA-5

Emotiva UPA-2

Anthem MCA-20 (Sub Amp)

Klipsch Heresy III - L/R

Klipsch Heresy I - C

Klipsch Heresy I - L/R Surrounds

JBL HLS-810 L/R Rear Surrounds

NHT 1259 Subs 2-Homebuilt

..create punch cards

take them to machine room

fill out "job request" and hand to operator

walk away feeling happy

come back 1 day later to collect output, a big pile of green and white paper

operator hands you a very small pile of green & white paper

you find on page 3 "syntax error at line 40"

go back to office

find error

create new card

remove offending line 40 card from stack and replace with good one

take them to machine room"....."....

now it's Wednesday and you've debugged up to line 50

what did we do the rest of the time ???

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

Not only do I remember VMS, I developed apps in it for a number of years. And just so you young punks have a little perspective, there wouldn't be a Windows NT OR Windows 7 without the technology developed in VMS.

Only wrote one program using cards but wrote a few in LSI-11 assembler. Now I'm building MVC websites using ASP.NET.

Since music file servers and players became the rage I haven't listened to a whole CD in years! With the exceptions of Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall and A Love Supreme, there really is no compelling reason to do so anymore.

My remote is an RF type, not an IR. Hence, no pointing required.

My point: respect the old, embrace the new but always find the fun. And w/ that in mind, if you find yourself saying to your co-workers "Kanye who?" then....

You remember going to the local appliance store with your dad with a bag full of tubes to use the tube tester. DIY repairs anyone?

Aurender N100H, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen, PS Audio Directstream dac, Siltech 550I ICs balanced, Oasis S200 Monoblocks, AQ Red Wood Speaker Cable, Magico S5 speakers.