IGNORED

New McCartney Album

Just got an email ad announcing that the new album will be released Feb 6 and will be available on vinyl, disc, and as a download. One of the download options is a hi-res version.

This is really good to see, more artists releasing albums as hi-res, and not waiting for 3rd party like HDT to do it for them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds good. Seems like only mild volume compression was used (avg DR is 12. Spectrum looks good.) See attachments.

It's from Topspin. It's one big WAV file - 1.8 GB. I had 2 failed download attempts (one at 99% done!) before I succeeded in downloading the whole thing.

Later edit: I did write Topspin, and got a fast answer with a link to a page where I can download the songs in chunks of about 3 songs at a time. Just need my login, and multiple downloads of the songs can be made.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

FYI-

the Topspin version is the "deluxe" release with 16 tracks for 13 Euro or $17. At HDT it's the standard 14 track release. Topspin is also promising to deliver a link to some free bonus "live" material in a week.

"It's one big WAV file - 1.8 GB."

Is there a cue sheet for those of us that prefer individual track files? I wonder what the legality would be for someone to do the splitting, and sending the split parts to people who can prove they have the full WAV file?

The files come down as individual songs, but the download is a 1.8 GB zip file. You can't control the download of the individual songs.

But as I said, you get a login for Topspin which will get you to a page where you can download the songs in smaller chunks.

I just downloaded the Deluxe Hi Res version from Paul's site. It was delivered as a large 1.8GB zip file with individual WAV files inside the zip. The wav files are 24 bit / 96 kHz. The entire 1.8GB zip file downloaded in 2.5 minutes. There is also a PDF booklet download.

A quick look at one track in Adobe Audition shows zero dynamic range compression. I'll post a full analysis in the analysis forum area.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

firedog:

Many thank-you's for the link to McCartney's Kisses On The Bottom downloaded from Topside for a more than reasonable price including two (2) bonus tracks and the booklet in PDF format.

I converted the wav files to AIFF with Max and I am listening as I write this comment in praise of the high quality download. The SQ is exquisite! Agree with Chris's preliminary assessment re zero DR compression, or so it sounds!

I understand there is a future download that I qualify to receive which will be announced in the future.

Truly and thoroughly enjoyable whether or not an upsample from SACD/DSD as was speculated (?).

Could not be more happy. Thank you again for paving the way and making it so convenient. I had ordered the deluxe version from Amazon (arriving today). No matter, I'll shelve it or find a worthy person to gift.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Chris-

Did you notice that the DR readings I got (foobar) and you got were different? Yours were slightly higher.

What accounts for this?