IGNORED

What is Integer Mode on a MacBook

nemick

What is integer mode on a MacBook and how do I set it?

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

I am no expert but it is my understanding that Integer Mode sends the data in its native format to the DAC bypassing the Core Audio of the Mac. What I can say for certain is that using Integer Mode sounds excellent to me.

Regarding "turning it on" you will need to be running iTunes on your Mac with a third party playback software (I use Pure Music but there are others) which provides the Integer Mode function typically enabled in that softwares preferences. Additionally your Mac should be operating on OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) as the new OS 10.7 (Lion) does not support Integer and your DAC must also support/accept Integer Mode.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Only a slight edit to what mwheelerk said - integer mode bypasses some of the processing done by Core Audio, but does not bypass it entirely. A much more detailed explanation is available at the following link:

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/large_image/MAC%20OSX%20audio%20players%20&%20Integer%20Mode.pdf

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It is a term for those DAC drivers that can read non-floating point (i.e less processed) data from the MAC. As stated, the critical path is the DAC and its USB driver. The USB on the DAC (or SPDIF converter) must be integer-capable. I'd guess 60%+ are (rough idea). And your software player (PM and Audirvana Plus are two candidates) must be capable and set to integer mode in theri preferences. The net/net is that, in theory, the data from your Mac is less processed by not having to go through floating-point math, and therefore cleaner and better sounding from the DAC.

Integer support is a good thing, but not critical. As Barrows signature states...everything matters. Integer mode is but one thing, a good one, but doesn't fix poor power, poor ripping, etc.

Okay, it seems fairly straight forward then. I just need to find out if Amarra Mini and my MF V-DAC II are compatible with Integer Mode. I see no mention of it on either manufacturers pages.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

What ever you are planning if you have Lion you can forget Integer Mode as Lion won't support it...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Actually, I'm using Snow leopard. I've heard too many stories about Lion to be bothered with it for now.

Neil M.

Guessing V-DAC II probably will be compatible, as the V-Link is. Don't think Amarra has the integer mode option. For that, the players I'm aware of are definitely Audirvana Plus and Pure Music, and possibly Decibel and Fidelia. And as noetd, it's available only on Snow Leopard, not Lion.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.