IGNORED

Unite! Owners of Metric Halo LIO8 / ULN8 Setup Examples Wanted

I am very happy to have found so many kindred spirits here.

I am eager to learn from everyone as much as I can.

I just made a big jump from my Burson HA160D DAC to the Metric Halo LIO8 and would love to hear and see how others have theirs set up.

Right now, I have it running as a stereo single input from my Mac Mini.

Am wondering how everyone else has handled / taken advantage of the 8 channels available to them.

Has anyone been able to run all 8 channels with 192/24 or does one run into DSP overhead issues?

Any and all information and comments are welcome.

Many sincere thanks in advance

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

• 8 months later...

wow - crickets chirping?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Steve Devino of Granite Rocks Live, a MH dealer, provided me with a script for a 2.1 (two main speakers plus sub) system that provided a crossover (HF to mains & LF to sub) using the MH DSP. It was limited to 24/96 due to maxing out the DSP processor. So I doubt you could get 24/192 for 8 channels using DSP but I am certainly no expert (far from it).

Jon at MH tech support is very helpful as well so you might want to consult with one of those guys.

Steve Devino created my 2.1 channel mixer as well.

Just sent my unit back to Metric Halo to have the Cartridge Loading mod on the Direct Inputs done.

Can you give us a review of the sound, re: Burson vs. LIO-8??

Thanks!

Gallo Ref 3.5 < Velodyne DD15 < Parasound A21 < Gallo Ref SA < Metric Halo LIO-8 < Mac Mini < Decibel and Audirvana < Pro-ject 9.1 w/ Grado Statement Master

Hi mjdesignz2,

I am very happy to have found so many kindred spirits here.

I am eager to learn from everyone as much as I can.

I just made a big jump from my Burson HA160D DAC to the Metric Halo LIO8 and would love to hear and see how others have theirs set up.

Right now, I have it running as a stereo single input from my Mac Mini.

Am wondering how everyone else has handled / taken advantage of the 8 channels available to them.

Has anyone been able to run all 8 channels with 192/24 or does one run into DSP overhead issues?

Any and all information and comments are welcome.

Many sincere thanks in advance

Welcome to the Metric Halo owners club!

I've owned all of their products, starting with a 2882, followed by a ULN-2 and for the past several years, a ULN-8. When mine isn't out at a remote recording session, it is set up in my studio/listening room.

It is being fed via Firewire from my MacBook Pro and also via AES/EBU from a nearby DVD player (for movies).

While I use mine in stereo, I know other folks who use multiple units to get *more* than 8 channels of 24/192. I don't believe the dsp is used for basic recording or mixing. It only comes into play if one wants to apply effects.

The bottleneck for most folks I know is their computer hardware and not the MIO.

By the way, there is a Metric Halo list you can join if you are interested:

MobileIO Info Page

Also, you might be interested in this:

Metric Halo +DSP MIO Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks

Have fun with your LIO-8!

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio