IGNORED

MF V-Link II with Linux

steveww

I use a silent Linux PC running MPD as my source. Currently I have a VA Labs TerraLink doing USB -> SPDIF duties. I hear all the fuss about async USB on the forums and I would like to give it a try so I am thinking about getting the MF V-Link II. Of course the MF website does not mention Linux so has anyone out there tried it, does it work and what hacks (if any) did you need to do?

Regards,[br]Steve W[br]http://www.steveww.org/[br]Linux MPD (silent PC) -> MF V-Link II -> Benchmark HDR -> Hypex UcD400 x 2 (mono) -> Heybrook Sextet

No official support from MF. The V-link I apparently does work with some Linux installations, based on various repoprts. The V2 probably does also, at least up to 24/96.

I suggest you write MF and ask them under what circumstances it should work with Linux (alsa version, kernel version etc).

Or as a MF dealer for a loaner or a demonstration.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

ask them if the dac is usb audio class 1 or 2 compliant. if yes, should work fine with linux. if they tell you that you have to download one of their drivers for windows then it's probably not going to work with linux.

and looking at the manual on their website:

The computer drivers for the USB input of the V-LINKII should install

automatically. To check correct installation follow these steps:

Temperature 5 to 45 degrees Celsius

Humidity 10 to 90% non condensing

There are no user adjustments inside.

Please refer all service work to an

authorised Musical Fidelity agent.

Front and back connections

Power LED (Blue)

USB input

Lock LED (Green)

PC /Windows users

Check the computer has picked up the device and is currently using it

by clicking: (most Windows versions)

-

Start

-

Settings

-

Control panel

-

Sounds and Multimedia

-

Audio

Check “Musical Fidelity VLINK” appears under PREFERRED AUDIO

DEVICE tab

Mac users

Check the computer has picked up the device and is currently using it

by clicking: (MAC OS X)

-

System preferences

-

Hardware

-

Sound

Check that “Musical Fidelity VLINK” is selected under the OUTPUT tab.

If the computer’s warning sounds/chimes are to played through the

DAC, make sure it is selected under the SOUND EFFECTS tab too.

looks like it uses the standar usb audio class 1 driver of the native os.

I am a bit confused here... (don't worry I am often confused!)

Are you saying that any DAC that need a driver for Windows won't work with Linux?

I thought Windows always needed drivers beyond 96kHz since It isn't USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant unlike OSX and Linux (or so I thought).

Can you clear that up for me please?

Thanks!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Not necessarily. If the DAC is only 24/96 *and* the DAC maker says no special drivers are needed it's most likey UAC1 compliant and will work with Windows, Mac and Linux out of the box.

If the DAC decodes 24/192 it will need a special driver for Windows but not necessarily Mac or Linux. Reason is, Windows does not have a built in UAC2 driver, last I checked. And last I checked was looong ago as I don't use Windows.

If the DAc decodes 24/192 and runs out of the box in Mac, it should be UAC2 compliant and work with Linux that has a recent kernel and ALSA 1.0.24, which most have.

I have no trouble using a V-Link or a Halide Bridge under relatively new versions of Linux.

On most of them you do have to go and use alsamixer or aplay to unmute the interface and/or turn up the volume. That's not difficult, but it can be confusing.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

New V-Link II has arrived and been plugged in to my Linux MPD. Worked first time :-)

The V-Link II only supports S24_3LE (24 bit) data format so you have to use plughw:1,0 for the device as ALSA needs to convert my CD rips (16 bit) to 24 bit.

I spent some time comparing the V-Link II to my existing Teralink X both connected via Toslink to Benchmark HDR. The difference is very slight but could be spotted in a blind A-B test. The V-Link is a tad smoother, the music is more liquid, slightly less grain or glare. The difference though is very slight it is not a night and day change.

I am happy with this new device and it will be staying in the current configuration.

Regards,[br]Steve W[br]http://www.steveww.org/[br]Linux MPD (silent PC) -> MF V-Link II -> Benchmark HDR -> Hypex UcD400 x 2 (mono) -> Heybrook Sextet