IGNORED

Help demo’ing Linn Majik DS-I and Naim Uniti

Jsmith

Right now I am thinking about upgrading my system to a one box system. My current choices at my local dealer are the NaimUniti and the Linn Majik DS-I. I am planning on going their later this week to spend a couple of hour’s demo’ing each system with my speakers.

My issue is the following. The dealer claims they cannot load my music onto their server. This has a bit of a drawback for me as I have some songs that I am very familiar with on my system at home and would be ideal to do the comparison.

For the Naim I believe I can load the music onto a jump drive and plug into USB on the front. I can move my FLAC files and this should give me a fair impression of the overall quality. For the Linn, it appears I would either have to settle for their network music or bring my laptop and hookup via digital in. This concerns me as I assume the digital in will go right to DAC section and I am not really testing the systems file player.

Has anyone run into this situation before, or have any suggestions on how to best listen to my music on these systems and test they entire system?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Hi JSmith - Who is your dealer?

Can you find a dealer willing and able to load your music on its server?

I would ask a few questions as to why you can load music on the server. This may give you an idea of what kind of support you may receive down the road or it may give you a completely valid and understandable reason.

You must listen to each system the exact way you will listen at home, i.e. via Ethernet, TosLink, etc... and the same software.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. So far I have been hoping the dealer had a valid reason, but will double check. I have already let them know this is not ideal. So far I have a very good impression of this dealer, although this is my first experience with them.

In your expert opinion, if a trade off is required, would it be better to listen to their music and stream and test the system how it will be played in my system or judge the music I know. I am leaning towards the former and to do an A + B comparison of the full streamer.

Regards,

Jeremy

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Not as easy as bringing in your handful of cds is it?

If that dealer is close to you I would ask them to borrow both of those for the weekend and get a feel for which one you might like. The Linn takes a bit more setup than the Naim and of course does not have the facility to play cds so they are really different pieces of equipment. They are both far simpler to set up than previous efforts from both companies. As far as UPnP streaming they do both work with similar media server software and Asset is one that I have found works well with both.

I agree with Chris in that the store really shouldn't have a problem loading a disc or two onto their server to let you get a true flavor of these two machines. Either one you choose will be great with those little Regas!

David

David,

Thanks for the input. They claim their Windows server is a pain and that is the reason for the reluctance to upload the music. I have pushed back on the dealer and sent them a link where they can download some songs I placed out there. They are going to load ahead of the demo so I will have at least some of my music to listen with.

To be honest I am starting to get apprehensive of this dealer. I spoke to my old dealer, and while some of the advice was the same, some was very different. I feel there may be a bit of an up sell here.

Since they are the only Naim / Linn dealer in a several hour drive for me I am going to continue forward. At this point I figure I it is better to invest a couple of hours in the demo this week. If I am not 100% confident I can walk away. Maybe it will be a great experience and all of this will be put to rest.

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - You are on the right track making sure you're satisfied before purchasing anything. Good dealers will tell you the same thing and will not want to sell you anything unless it's exactly what you want and need.

Make sure you will be able to get the support you need and that you're paying for when you purchase from any dealer. The readers of CA will certainly help you through almost anything, but your local dealer should be able to do the same.

I may sound a little harsh on the dealer but many of these guys need to be pulled into the next phase of high end audio. Unless they are pressured and are a bit uncomfortable they'll never change.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

You are absolutely right. I am traveling back to my old stomping grounds for business in a few weeks and could easily go to my old dealer for the purchase. But this would make ongoing support difficult and why I think it makes sense to try and establish a local relationship.

Like any relationship I am willing to invest to see if it can work. I am sure I am not the perfect customer. But if things cannot be, then we can all move on.

-Jeremy

As far as an up sell, I am not seeing that as much as the very real possibility that your old dealer has other opinions on how computer audio can be done. Both of the pieces you happen to have started this thread on are truly superb examples of 21st century computer audio and while not inexpensive are fantastic music making machines that can form the basis of an outstanding hifi that will give many years of joy. I hope that the demonstrations help to quell any apprehension you might have about the pieces in question and you hear just why they are so highly regarded in todays computer based music world.

After listening I would look long and hard at the features you think you will need in the future to make sure that the unit you ultimately purchase will respond to your needs in the years to come. (like a very nice phono stage *s*)

David

""Not as easy as bringing in your handful of cds is it?"

It's easier when a system is properly setup :~)

A USB stick containing tons of demo tracks is great compared to bringing in physical discs.

Only saying this in good fun realhifi :~)"

Taken in good fun also! *s*

So true about proper setup needed almost as much today with computer setups as the care and time that goes into a proper turntable and cartridge installation and setup.

(I mean....don't tell the customer that the Windows server is a pain for gosh sakes!)

As far as USB sticks...how true. Especially when listening to it hooked up to a laptop and listening to them through SongCaster into the DSi! *s*

David

David,

You actually may have confirmed my suspicions. There are two reasons I mention the up sell.

First, all of my music today is CD ripped to FLAC streamed through an Auraliti PK90. I only listen to physical CDs in my car and that is only because Apple updates keep breaking the link to the USB in my car radio.

I mentioned this to the dealer and they are still very instant on the Naim Uniti for which I have no need for the CD player. My old dealer knowing I am looking only at streaming recommend starting with the UnitiQute. I am sure the CD player in the Uniti is great, but I am not sure I want to pay for it.

I do understand there is a power difference between the two units. My room is only 12' x 12' so I do not need to fill a concert hall with sound. The UnitiQute may be enough. If it is not, I have not problem stepping up to the Uniti but for almost $2K difference I would rather start low and work up.

This same dealer originally started off the discussion with an Esoteric RZ-1?? for $6K which has SACD drive. I don't own a single SACD.

Second, they are looking at Kimber speaker cables for the Naim / Linn to Rega's. Doing a little research it seems like everyone with Naim recommends the Naim speaker wire. I have even read some posts that the Kimber have the wrong capacetence???? and inductance???? for the Naim and may actual stress the units. My old dealer did in fact recommend the Naim speaker wire before I did any of the research mentioned above. The price between the Naim and Kimber is not much ~$100 for my run, but if that money is not necessary and may have negative effects it seems like a bad recommendation.

So with all of this said I am sure people are going to ask why I am even going to the dealer. I am trying to hope this is not really ill intentioned but just a learning curve between my preferences / taste and the dealer getting to know them.

Even with that said I am going to do my homework and go in there as self-educated as possible.

I will let you know how it goes.