IGNORED

Saxophone Colossus

wdw

Dear All,

I really love the Sonny Rollins album, Saxophone Colossus and am hoping for any comments concerning the merits of the HDTracks 24/96 or 24/192. Better than redbook? (which sounds quite fine btw)

Thanks for any comments you have.

WDW

Happy Listening to all

The difference between the sampling rate versions will be marginal sonically. All the goodness is in the bit depth. These are early recordings some versions of which are in mono.

There are two versions out on SACD as well.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6750

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/405

One of which you can pickup for less than the download? The comments might be useful?

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

wdw, I have both the 24/192 download from HDtracks and the SHM-SACD version of Saxophone Colossus. As I have not heard the 24/96 vs. 24/192 I will not comment on any differences. At $24.98 for the 24/192 download versus $53.00 for the SHM-SACD, obviously more than double the cost, whether or not the difference in rendition is worth that calculation I leave appropriately to you. My experience has been and remains the same: Playing the SHM-SACD through my Oppo BDP-95 through my system (see my profile), I prefer the SHM-SACD to the 24/192. And!, playing the 24/192 is thoroughly enjoyable listening such that I could easily understand choosing that version. Someone else will need to offer their opinion between 24/96 and 24/192. I also have only heard a friends redbook version when he came over to share listening experiences. He's a saxophone player. Exposure was brief. With Amarra 2.3.2, the 24/192 versus the 24/192 is a toss-up. As I have both, I indulge either one depending on whim. If I can't or did not help with your inquiry, I mean well. Whatever your decision, the tracks are exquisite.

Best,

Richard

HDTracks 24/192 Download is way better than redbook.

And in a computer based system, in mine at least, sure better than a SACD conversion to PCM.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

...my red book CD sounds so great that I don't want to live through one of those very disappointing HD Tracks downloads...sometimes just marginally better...after all, it's mono, analogue and the music signal, typically, when is an HD Tracks download, louder so when making a comparison it is awkward...been there done that...I think this loudness issue is a marketing strategy.

Cheers to all

WDW

"Better than redbook? (which sounds quite fine btw)"

There are many Red Book remasters of the album. The download may sound better to you than the Red Book(s) you have. Or it may sound worse.

The HDTracks site says (today, at least) that the downloads are a 2011 Concord Jazz release. I don't believe there is any such thing.

The image on the site is the cover of the 2002 Analogue Productions SACD. The files could be a SACD rip converted to PCM. Analogue Productions remasters are usually high quality and not loudness boosted and excessively bright like some other remasters of the same music. Unfortunately, HDTracks artwork scans often do not match the version of audio that they sell, so its hard to know exactly what you'll be getting from HDTracks.