IGNORED

Has anyone heard the latest HDTracks releases?

I'm more apprehensive than ever about HDTracks releases until someone has confirmed the quality of a particular album.

I'm interested in The Carpenters, especially Karen Carpenter. She has an incredible voice. I know I'll receive flak about liking some of their music, and I know much of their music is syrup and kind of sucky, but I've always loved her voice.

Please, if anyone downloads their album, could you please comment on the SQ?

Thanks!

Dave

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

Hey Dave,

I downloaded this last night and likely will receive flak also but what the hell. Like you I love Karen's voice. I was disappointed, but not in the sound quality. I didn't like the remixes they did. Some of them seem a little disjointed with parts of the original recordings and stuff that sounds like it was added later. This was the first time I had heard this particular compilation. I guess I've been listening to these songs for so long that they are embedded in my brain, so I was hoping to hear the same, only better quality. I have another compilation which I think is earlier, but if you are already familiar with the treatment of some of the songs you won't be surprised. So for me, sound quality is great but a big thumbs down for the remixes.

Colin

Good to know. Sometimes it's nice to hear a new version, but often times I'd like to hear it exactly as it was, albeit at a higher resolution.

My new Rega RP3 is coming in September, so perhaps I'll buy the older version in vinyl.

I bought the original greatest hits or 'collection' on vinyl when I was a kid, in 1973 I think. I felt like a nerd, wouldn't advertise to anyone I liked some of their syrupy songs, but she had an amazing voice. Listening to it now might be 'nostalgia', I guess.

A bit of trivia, as members of a band called Spectrum, they performed at the Whiskey a Go Go in 1967. Herb Alpert of A&M records personally signed them to his label.

Dave

I just downloaded the Carpenters and am really impressed with the sound quality. Yes, its only 24/48 BUT, it sounds great on my PC. Now the real test will be to move it to my iMac and Pure Music setup as that is playing into a real audio system...I have no issue with any reedits.

If you like their music, the files are WELL worth the money.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

that the sound quality is excellent. My personal preference was to hear the originals, like you, but in higher resolution. Maybe I'm picky, but it just irked me that, for example, where before you could hear an intake of breath before she started singing, they edited that out. Like the other poster said though, if you like their music, it's worth it to buy these files.

Colin

I have this "album" in my collection in SACD format. It's a hybrid sacd. Recently I converted the tracks to AIFF using XLD. While I haven't heard the download from HDtracks, the conversion sounds excellent on my system. Anyone giving you flak for enjoying any performer, whomever, ought to reconsider that we all have different models of the world and appreciate that we are enjoying experiencing their performances. I have an excellent collection (in my view) which includes a double album by Olivia Newton-John. But don't tell anyone.

Best,

Richard

Well, it depends on the studio dynamics, engineering at the time, cause you can pick differences.

That being the case, the resolution is great to pick that up, Karen's voice is the standout. if you like her voice, then don't hesitate to get this release.

The HDtracks files are actually 96/24, both Fidelia and Foobar report the same fs.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Well, I bit the bullet last night, and took a trip back to the seventies.

The standouts for me, especially in regards to SQ and content, are: This Masquerade, Superstar, and Close To You.

As I listened to her voice, all I could think of was how soulful and sexy she sounded.

I have Bonnie Bramlett's current version of Superstar, which is my favourite, but this version is pretty nice too.

I would have liked to have heard her do more jazz, etc. I realized last night that I don't like the Carpenter's songs that much, but boy she had one hell of a beautiful voice.

Dave