3 feet high and rising- de la soul

New York state of mind - nas

ill communication - beastie boys

Me hip hop

Everybody knows this is nowhere - Neil young

Alas I cannot swim - Laura marling

Courage of others - midlake

Hard to choose as there is so much good music

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me

Not necessarily the best or most listened to albums in my collection but the ones I couldn't live without and the ones that I can keep listening to over and over without getting tired of them and being confident that I'll hear something new every time I listen.

In no particular order:

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

Tex, Don and Charlie - Sad But True

You might have trouble finding the last one anywhere but Australia (you might even have trouble in Australia) but they're all well and truly worth it.

Stand-out tracks:

Black Market Baby on Mule Variations. Spooky americarny (yep, just made that up!) with a blistering guitar solo from Marc Ribot.

I Dream A Highway on Time (The Revelator). Almost 15 mins of a dead simple chord progression that goes by in a timeless dream-state.

Postcard From Elvis on Sad But True. Messages from beyond the grave courtesy of Elvis, Norma Jean and Buddha. A quiet, gentle reflection on taking time for quiet, gentle reflection... beneath the hood of a red Monaro.

Cheers,

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

Classic Rock - Don't get more classic than The Beatles, but a bit of a modern twist - "Love," the Martin pere et fils Cirque du Soleil thing. Some of what they've dusted off from the vaults is sans a lot of production and thus revelatory, even through my current 16/48 system. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Strawberry Fields" especially knock me out, but there's much, much more.

Modern Rock - My favorite "modern rock" act by leaps and bounds is pretty countrified, so I'm going to leave this for the Country category.

Jazz - Got to be Miles Davis. I'll pick "Amandla," because back 25 years ago when I was first auditioning high end speakers, I ran this LP around everywhere. If the opening trumpet scream on "Catembe" didn't raise the hair on the backs of my neck and arms, I moved on to another pair of speakers. The initial CD version was a disappointment, but looking at Amazon, I notice there's a 2002 remaster available. Hmmm....

Classical - Bach Brandenburgs. If you haven't heard the Jordi Savall version, you haven't heard them at their best.

Electronic - Sorry, just can't think of anything with sufficient soul.

Folk - Howlin' Wolf, the Chess Box. "You'll Be Mine" has ordinary lyrics, but that voice(!) is nasty enough to undress any object of your affection within reach. Runnerup, any of the great old Pogues albums. Regret never having seen them live before Shane McGowan kicked off - reportedly sometimes a party, sometimes a disaster, always drunk as lords.

R&B - Damn. I mean, just damn. Soul and The Beatles were it for me as a kid, it's just so impossible to choose. Smokey Robinson, especially "The Tracks of My Tears," is like to make me cry every time I hear him. But maybe from the sonic standpoint, the Marvin Gaye Collection on DVD-A. (Find his performance of the Star Spangled Banner at the NBA All-Star game on YouTube. Best. National. Anthem. Evah!) Also (though yeah, it's jazz at least as much as R&B), Cassandra Wilson's "Blue Light 'Til Dawn," especially "Come On In My Kitchen," will make strong men weak.

Country - Ryan Bingham, "Junky Star." Songs are absolute knockouts. "Hallelujah" is something 99 of the Billboard Top 100 would give their left something-or-other to've written. Conscientiously produced by T-Bone Burnett. (Bingham's first, "Mescalito," is also amazing.)

Hip-Hop - When I hear hip-hop on the radio and think "Hey damn, that's pretty good," it's Eminem a lot of the time. So I'll take "Recovery" as the latest and greatest.

Pop - Sorry, just can't think of anything with sufficient soul.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

L.A woman - the doors

Who's next - the who

Rubber soul - the Beatles

My classics

Stax collection my only notable best of

Talking book - stevie wonder

Superfly - Curtis Mayfield

My r&b

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me

"Regret never having seen them live before Shane McGowan kicked off"

Point 1: He's not dead.

Point 2: Having seen him with the Popes a few years back in Melbourne, he's not far off. Would have loved to see him at his peak in the 80's but now it's more a sad old drunk going through the motions than any sort of firey rebellion. Alcoholism is a disgusting disease. If you have the opportunity to see him live, stay home and listen to Rum, Sodomy and the Lash instead.

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

I've changed my mind about my list above. My interests this week are different from last week's. I think that goes with the territory; enjoyment of music is very personal.

I read a Rolling Stone magazine from early 2010 a few weeks ago. It had an interesting list of "The 50 most important albums of the last decade" (ie. 2000 to 2010). Quite interesting; I am chipping at the list (Moby, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Amy Winehouse etc). It's worth looking at.

Likewise yesterday, I bought one of those weird one-off periodicals I spotted sitting between "Princess Diana at 50" and "National Geographic Photos of Cuddly Animals" at the grocery store magazine rack. Title: "Special Edition Rolling Stone - The Beatles, The Ultimate Album-by-Album Guide". $9.99. There is a brief paragraph for each song with all kinds of intersting information. I'm pretty impressed. I've been reading it while rediscovering the Beatles music. You need ALL the Beatles.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Point 1: Oh. "I'm not dead yet."

Point 2: Might be why I thought he'd joined the choir celestial.

Thanks. :-)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Title: "Special Edition Rolling Stone - The Beatles, The Ultimate Album-by-Album Guide". $9.99. There is a brief paragraph for each song with all kinds of interesting information. I'm pretty impressed. I've been reading it while rediscovering the Beatles music. You need ALL the Beatles.

Saw it at the grocery store, thought about buying it.... Maybe it'll still be there.

Yeah, I've always thought you've gotta have 'em all. Their stuff is just untouchable - no one since has come close to Abbey Road IMO. Thinking about getting Let It Be - Naked, but if I do there's sure to be a higher-quality version out soon after.

I don't think it's an actual issue of Rolling Stone. It's a "special edition", which may not actually be mailed to subscribers. (I don't have a subscription.)

Browse it at the magazine racks to see if you like it. Personally, I think it is very well done.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Can I get the Chipmunks at HDtracks?

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

or mother when I asked them to choose which of their children do they love the most. Their answer was I love them all the same.

Just 3 albums - you've gottta be kidding.

Anyway here's my must have music picks:

1. Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers

2. Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall

3. Complete Ella Song Books

Electronic albums:

Massive Attack - "Mezzanine"

Squarepusher - "Hard Normal Daddy"

SleepResearch_Facility - "Deep_Frieze"

Jazz albums:

Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue" (2009 Legacy Edition)

Dave Brubeck - "Time Out" (1997 Legacy Edition)

Pat Metheny Group - "Still Life (Talking)"

Rock albums:

Tool - "Lateralus" (check out that Fibonacci sequence in syllables during the verse)

Rage Against The Machine - "Rage Against The Machine"

Pink Floyd - "The Wall" (CBS-SONY 40AP1750~1 vinyl)

Other great sounding music:

Roxy Musix - "Avalon" (SACD)

Dire Straits - "Dire Straits" (Japanese SACD, it's incredible)

Porcupine Tree - "In Absentia", "Up The Downstair"

Peter Gabriel - "So", "Up"

Janis Ian - "Breaking Silence"

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin - "Holon", "Stoa", "Llyrìa"

etc.

Pay special attention to the release if present in parentheses.

Listening Room: ALIX.2D2 (Voyage MPD) --> Arcam rDAC --> Marantz PM-15S2 --> Quadral Wotan Mk V

Drinking Room: ALIX.2D2 --> M2Tech hiFace 2 --> Cambridge Audio Azur 740C --> Rotel RC-06/RB-06 --> B&W XT4

Home head-fi: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD 650

On the go head-fi: Sennheiser IE 8

Can I get the Chipmunks at HDtracks?

Only at 768, meticulously crafted from Blu-ray, originally remastered to cd from 45 rpm vinyl, by Stubbs Munchip, for less than $13 per track or $299.98 the entire Chip Fest.

-Chris

P.S. It is guaranteed to activate Audacity if properly loaded.