IGNORED

Please help a newbie

I am new to this site and I have 2 questions that are probably very elementary to most but I need help none the less.

1. I currently use Itunes for my CD files and MediaMonkey for my FLAC downloads from Linn and HDTracks. What is the easiest way to convert to files to be used on an Ipod classic?

I see a number of sites to do this for Mac's but I use Windows XP.

2. Since I see so many discussions about using Mac's instead of PC for music server I am contamplating getting a Mac for all. Is there any easy way to transfer music library (over 22,000 songs in apple lossless) from a PC to a Mac?

In the most recent issues of Absolute Sound and Stereophile reviews are overwhelming for Mac vs. PC. Is it the software or is it the hardware?

Thank you in advance for any help.

The usual recommendation for conversion of files is dbPowerAmp. I'm unsure if you need the full (paid for version) to get the converter. I think Foobar player also has a converting routine. Best is to convert to AAC format 320kbps or Apple Lossless format. Save the converted files in "add to iTunes" folder and iTunes will add them automatically.

I'm not positive; but I believe with the Gold version of Media Monkey it will convert and add files to your iPod seamlessly.

If you wanted to move to a Mac (it's often recommended in magazines as the setup learning curve is much shallower amongst other reasons) you will probably want to convert from FLAC to AIFF if you are using iTunes & Amarra or Pure Music. Alternatives such as Decibel and Fidelia are happy with FLAC format.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just copy your iTunes Library to the Mac, along with all the media files, and you are good to go. That's really all there is to it.

As for converting FLAC, either ALAC or AIFF is a great format to convert them to, and both formats work just as well on a PC as on a Mac. I would use dbPowerAmp to do that on a PC, or XLD on a Mac.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I download from HDtracks, Linn etc. and use MAX to convert Flac files to AIFF, which I learned to do from Chris' video available at HDtracks. I use XLD to rip from CD to AIFF. My experience with Pure Music is that I do not prefer the file PM puts in my flac file folder to allow for adding it to playlist.

Audirvana plays flac files directly and that's been my go to program lately having all of them (I think "all" of the programs: Amarra v2.2, PM 1.8, Decibel, Fidelia.

I prefer to maintain two databases, specifically, Flac folder with all downloads which I play in Audirvana; and AIFF converted from downloads and rips to iTunes folder.

I am new so I prefer the security of both and back up daily. iTunes, I find, is clunky with the databases. I paid dearly for double clicking Add To Library unintentionally. Spent hours cleaning up duplicate files. How is it that iTunes doesn't even query with "duplicate?" "Are you sure?". Something other than, batta bing, hundreds of duplicates.

Best,

Richard