IGNORED

Convert FLAC for iTunes with Max

eatapc

This is something of a follow up to Chris's video & thread from April: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/How-Convert-HDtracks-FLAC-High-Resolution-Downloads-and-Add-iTunes-Video-Commentary

I disagree with Chris about creating multiple copies of the files, and Chris was not sure if there's a way to have the files added to iTunes without making copies. I made a brief tutorial video to show how it can be done.

When I say brief, I mean it. My thinking was to show the setup in real time to demonstrate how quick & easy it is. If you want a more thorough explanation, view Chris's video, or view my complete instructions by clicking on the "Show more" drop-down below the video.

Here's the YouTube link:

Hope it's useful. - Mark Block

Mac Mini, Pure Music, iTunes, Lynx Hilo, Merrill Taranis amp, Seta Piccola phono preamp, Phil Jones Platinum Reference One speakers, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I got a couple of good tips from Chris's video I didn't understand the need to copy a set of files to the desktop. I simply point the files in MAX to my iTunes library. I drag the files that download to a desktop folder from HD Tracks into MAX select convert and they are in my library. Just as easy and clean as can be.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

That sure looked complex to me. Have you looked at XLD?

File -> Open, verify the metadata, done. It's in iTunes as an AIFF, at the correct bit depth and sample rate.

It does make a copy, but that way I can archive off the original files, and I have them if I ever have a complaint about a download.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I also do this with XLD, and have it load automatically into iTunes. I have it save the intermediate files in /tmp. That leaves them there only until the next reboot. Once or twice one file went missing and didn't get loaded into iTunes, so it was good to have it there.

I also do this with XLD, and have it load automatically into iTunes. I have it save the intermediate files in /tmp. That leaves them there only until the next reboot. Once or twice one file went missing and didn't get loaded into iTunes, so it was good to have it there.

As I said in the video and in the text accompanying it, this is a one-time set up of a few preferences. Once set up, it's literally an "open & click once" operation. Again, it's only complex the first time because some preferences need to be set. After that it's brain-dead simple.

Does XLD do AIFF? When I tried it a few months ago it didn't, right?

Take care -- Mark

Mac Mini, Pure Music, iTunes, Lynx Hilo, Merrill Taranis amp, Seta Piccola phono preamp, Phil Jones Platinum Reference One speakers, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

The original FLAC files should be archived. No need to have copies of the AIFFs.

Take care -- Mark

P.S. Didn't realize XLD did AIFF. I thought it was Apple Lossless, not AIFF. I'll check it out.

Yeah, XLD does AIFF well, and has for at least a year. I've only used it that long, so I cannot speak further back. :)

I keep the FLAC files as an archive, but the AIFF files are caught in my regular backup schedule as well, daily and monthly.

-Paul

P.S. I must admit, I watched your video more than listened to it- apologies for that.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul: No apology necessary. ;)

For what it's worth, my backup strategy is that my iTunes "media drive" (an external 2TB USB drive for now) has an identical clone that I keep offline. Several times a week (or after I've put a few new albums in iTunes) I turn it on and let SuperDuper! do its automated cloning thing. (I have SuperDuper! set to automatically launch when the backup mounts.) After a few minutes, when the backup is complete, I unmount the backup drive and unplug it.

So ... my AIFF files actually are in two places after the automated backup, but I think it should be considered "best practices" to NOT manually manage the files or create duplicates in the conversion process. It's unnecessary work and it's asking for trouble. ("Oops! Where did I just put that file? Did I trash the wrong file?" etc.)

By setting the Max preferences to automatically output the files to my iTunes Music folder (which is on my external drive -- not the Mac's internal), and then setting the iTunes preferences to automatically keep the media folder organized, everything becomes brain-dead simple. No dupe files, no moving files at the Finder level, no organization required. I simply select the FLAC files, hit command-o (or double click) and then click convert. I don't ever go back to the Finder to do organizing, moving or copying. (Although I do additionally throw the liner notes into the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder -- I have an alias on my Desktop -- so that they're available for viewing within iTunes.)

I won't claim this is the "best" way, but I've not heard of a better or easier workflow. BTW, I have a separate backup clone for the Mac Mini, but it's less important. If the Mac Mini went belly up, I could reinstall everything; the crucial thing is to backup the iTunes folder on the external. Now if I were really anal about it, I'd have an additional off-site clone....

Take care - Mark