• 6 months later...
Eva Cassidy Nightbird, the 20th Anniversary compilation of the entire 1996 Blues Alley performance. Over 30 tracks with 8 of them previously unreleased. Available on CD but I downloaded the set from Qobuz. Anyone not familiar with her, she passed away within a year of this concert and has an incredible voice. It is available to stream on Tidal as well. Check it out if you are unfamiliar with her. This would be the subject of a great review Musicophile!

Can you provide a link. I cannot find it.

• 6 months later...
Brahms: Cello Sonatas - Marie-Elisabeth Hecker - Martin Helmchen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27389[/ATTACH]

Outstanding. See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/recommended-brahms-cello-sonatas-by-marie-elisabeth-hecker/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Regardless of our differing POV on other things, this is ultimately a music site and just want to thank you for turning me on to some great music. As I have said before, I am no aficionado on classical music and find your recommendations superb and one of the highlights of this forum. Loved this one and have already listened to it three times.

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation. The music IS different; the enthusiasm of the performers borders on maniacal (the good kind of maniacal). And it is a good recording, most appealing to me being lots of bass that adds solidity and stays this side of muddy, which I always appreciate. Although it does sound like an artificial studio-created space rather than a live performance space, with vocals pushed way front-and-center. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah he IS different. I am glad you liked it. I got turned on to him years ago in NY and then lost any ties to him until someone recommended that album and I woke up and realized, I know that guy. I thoroughly enjoy him and his crazy ways.

• 1 month later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28517[/ATTACH]

Streaming from Qobuz: http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/biber-the-rosary-sonatas-helene-schmitt/4026798102562

(to compare against Rachel Podger's recent Channel Classics version)

Together with

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28518[/ATTACH]

Ok I no nothing about single malt.

I have a person coming to Montana who asked me to have OBAN 18 yr upon his arrival. The price is like 130 bucks for a bottle. Is that what good 18 year old single malts go for?? I'm thinking of telling him to stay home.

Like every luxury product in recent years, prices have gone up significantly, whether justified or not. It's a classical test of price elasticity, increase it until people stop buying, and with all the incremental demand from Asia that is unlikely to be very soon.

Now if you're not into single malt, those numbers must seem crazy, and I agree they probably are.

In any case, the Glenlivet 18 above is still relatively "moderately" priced, you can find it at $60-80 in shops. A true scotch need will frown a bit on Glenlivet, it is one of the biggest distilleries and seen as producing mass quantities of smooth stuff for the US market whuch doesn't like Scotch that's very peaty.

I don't care and find it quite good value for money.

As always I appreciate your knowledge and insight. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The Pacific NW is in for more wild weather this weekend.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows".

I'll be listening to music I first enjoyed some fifty years ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29835[/ATTACH]

I saw the forecast. WOW. I have a summer home in NW Montana and we will be getting what's left of your crushing weather. Stay safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, orresearch said:

This is the 2020 release and newly recorded version.  But I m so fond of the old version that I have a hard time with the new version.  Anyone shares the same feeling ?    To me, his more mellow singing in this just, regretfully, could not match the passion and edge exhibited in the original.

Cover.jpg

Very hard for me to listen to this. Some albums, like when you release one of the greatest works in folk history, recorded with some of the greatest ambience ever, should just be left alone to  stand for all time. I did not find this very engaging. Must my opinion

• 1 month later...