3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Just finished listening, not sure will return anytime soon. Yes, the sound recording is remarkable, it is kind of Currentzis trade mark, well known from previous recordings. But Mahler's Sixth is not about quality of sound, imho. One must be well mature to present this to outer world, and here I hear rather nice still unassured adolescent level attempt. Well rushed first part, in such haste musicians seem to loose the meaning and beauty of Mahler's language. Second part seem to be most successful. Slow part is... boring, Finale' drama gets travesty style treatment. I am very sympathetic to Greek conductor efforts usually, was impressed by his Tchaikovsky 6th a lot, but this was not his day, sorry.

It's for people who are up to their neck in

Mahler and generally dislike him, like me.

Say NO to ROON

• 3 months later...

An album of Swedish music by a respected maestro which has been out for several weeks already. This one fun to listen to. The sound quality is remarkable, especially the string tone is beautiful. The texture of the Gothenburg strings really shines in this recording. If only all orchestral recordings were as good.

5030271-origpic-0e7e80.jpg

Say NO to ROON

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

American art song is a wonderful thing indeed. Especially when it is sung like Joyce DiDonato does in an album from 2005, now finally available at Qobuz. 

But why has the producer/engineer decided to put the piano in the far right and the singer very much to the right also? This is not a live recording. Not to mention the clipping in loud passages.

spacer.png

Say NO to ROON

• 1 year later...