• 2 weeks later...
Holly Cole: Shade

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6114[/ATTACH]

Thank You Musicophile. I have nearly all Holly Cole's recordings including Japanese pressings. Her Temptation album of Tom waits covers is one of my all time favs, musically and audio quality, That and Dont smoke in bed. I cannot tell you how many High end HiFi places I dragged those CD to in the 1990's. Shade eluded me for some reason, no longer !

btw the 2012 Night has one tom waits cover , Walk Away, magnificient, such moody jazz, so blues...can get pop at times,but her voice and phrasing is so good she could sing anything

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Ryland has explored a multitude of musical genres through the years, while always maintaining his immediately-recognizable personal style. His 1970's WB records were, and still are, one of the cornerstones of my music library.

Yes agreed, and for me (so far) Ry Cooder's 1978 "Jazz" is a must have on every audiophile, music loving person's collection.

Folder.jpg

He has been aptly described as a musicologist and "Jazz" pays homage to the earlier years of jazz history emphasizing ragtime and vaudeville to gospel.

Stereophile (2/93, p. 101) - "... [Cooder] plays this music with affection and respect; a gentle pastiche almost surpassing the originals... an album which will hit you intensely, with a sound quality to match... "

There are so may tracks that 'stand out' but for me, "Nobody" written by Bert Williams 1905 and lyrics by Alex Rogers. Egbert Austin "Bert" Williams (November 12, 1874 – March 4, 1922) is simply audio and music pure absolute gold.

I will search for "Bop till You Drop", not sure how I missed this !

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Until today I only had it on vinyl. Listening this way was much easier.

Absolutely. I have everything now on digital files locally and it is awesome to be able to make playlists (JRiver), so much easier than the days of "mixed tapes". To be able to play albums or artists or random or genre or playlists or 5 star or just covers or recently added or ...it just goes on. Streaming obviously offers so much as well.

Sound Minds Mind Sound