IGNORED

Article: Back From Axpona Update - Audirvana on Linux, Immersive Audio In Munich, and More

Regarding Audirvana, I hope Grimm Audio's next software update for the MU1/MU2 will facilitate using Audirvana.  Looking forward to your experiments and better understanding the benefits of headless applications.

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

59 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I did. Color me not impressed. The ones I heard were stand mounts and they were all treble, no bass.

implementation is everything.  Purifi only makes mid-range and bass transducers.  Wonder what driver was used for the treble.  

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You hit the nail on the head. Headless enables everyone such as Grimm, to implement Audirvana on their servers. 

So, an i3 processor can handle the headless Audirvana?

3 minutes ago, botrytis said:

My wife, who was with me, thought the midbass drivers were broken due to the way the suspension looks. 

Fastest way to build confidence in a product.  😆   They look weird to me too.  Like there weren't finished.  But maybe time to get back on topic...

8 minutes ago, maxijazz said:

I don't think they will show themselves off during MHE, but they should:

Purify + Bliesma tranducers at http://yb-audio.pl/realizacje/pulse/

interesting company and concept.  the photos show some drivers that seem very similar to those in high-end brands; however, those brands customize the stock drivers.  I wonder if YB does too.  

1 hour ago, mr_bill said:

I wonder how many older audiophiles (I'm older) are getting to the point where they:

A.  don't want so many boxes

B. don't want to have to deal with a computer when running your system

C.  useing your phone to operate your system -  I do have an Auralic Aries 1.1 streamer but I will put up with that but don't want to have to usee my phone all the time to operate my system other than the streamer.

D.  are getting sick of integrateds or pre/power amp that have room correction, digital complicated displays

btw - I am ok with a remote control for source and volume!

it is strange that if my internet service is down, there is no music to listen to (at least in the main system).  Of course, ISPs only survive if the outages are very short.  On the other hand, having access to "more than 240,00 albums in Hi-Res audio quality" in Qobuz is a joy.  

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

Hence why our main system has a Hegel H-190 and using JRiver (Android pad control - all music on server). SOmetimes my wife will just play music through a google speaker in her office - just background.

Simple systems are great.  It is unfortunate that Logitech no longer supports the Squeezebox Touch, which was the ideal interface.  My wife loved it.  But, fortunately, Roon has gotten easier to use and she continues to enjoy listening to music.  Once she got used to the search function (which thankfully has been improved) she can find songs and albums she likes.  

9 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Just install Logitech Media Server on a pc/nas and configure your Squeezebox Touch to use it instead of MySqueezebox and it will work as before

Thanks.  She mostly used it with internet radio channels.  I'm assuming the LMS solution only provides access to our library.  Is that correct?  

25 minutes ago, botrytis said:

My wife has tried Roon and she hates it with a passion. She has designed interface screens for computers that use specific software (LIMS software). She feels most audio software is not user friendly - I am trying. 

it isn't surprising that an IT professional who has designed interface screens will see it very differently from those of us who are users only.  

And some IT folks prefer the absolute minimum on the screen.  One fellow I worked with (brilliant coder) used a font that was so small I asked him if there were fonts smaller than 8 point or if he custom-programmed it.  He would always shrug and laugh.  Then I would specify the size and placement.  When you are used to writing very efficient code, why muck up the interface with a lot of unnecessary stuff? 🙃

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Funny you mention this. The Axpona hotel had major internet issues for about a day and a half. Nobody could stream for several hours.

wow.   dealers post about the high fees they pay for these events in addition to the prep time, transportation costs and lost time selling gear in their usual way.  They couldn't be very happy about a day and a half without internet service (or interruptions during that time).  Especially if this is one of only a very few events they use to publicize their gear.