IGNORED

I am looking for a good asynchronous USB DAC for max $1500

That thang is sooo purty.

Maybe a shoot-out between the Calyx & the Mytek. Beauty vs. the Beast. Man that Mytek stinks it up.

Anyone know what flavor of asynch the Calyx is running (ie, Wavelength, etc)?

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

m903, as redxiii mentioned.

Gets very high praise, kill headphone section, runs Wavelength's asynch version.

But only if you have an extra $300.

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

Calyx uses the new XMOS chip, which with the latest firmware can connect asynchronously up to 32-bit/384kHz, with included drivers for Windows, and native on the Mac OSX. However I believe XMOS truncate bits down to 24 before sending off to the DAC chip.

XMOS is a relatively new chip, and will starts to show up in products. The new soon-to-be-launched Stello U3 will use the same chip. And I am also testing another box from a new manufacturer with the same chip.

XMOS async USB 2.0 connections are super reliable and I had no issues with them.

The Calyx fit and finish is first rate. The Young on the other hand, is quite handsome in pictures, but in person the aluminum finish is quite rough and feels a bit "raw".

Mac Mini ? Weiss DAC202 ? ML 326s ? ML 532h ? Wilson Sophia3

Hi Rascal,

They're using ASIO over USB and a full XMOS implementation (like Ayre). Software is licensed from http://www.thesycon.de/ AFAIK

Firmware can be upgraded (there were few updates so far). For Mac OS, no drivers are needed - plug and play up to 32/192

PS

There is another nice DAC and a little lower priced, it's the Anedio D1, also ESS Sabre 9018, but supports only 16/48 max over USB now. There will be an upgrade of its USB input soon - new version of the DAC and external USB-to-S/PDIF converter. One guy at head-fi says it's better than Audio GD Reference 7!

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Says "Do not move the unit, while it is powered on. This can cause harm to the unit."

What did they mean, like move it to another state or something?

Didn't see where it said the warranty would be invalidated, but still, that's odd enough.

Since the unit is powered by USB port (5v). It then regenerates a 12v rail using a "charge pump". Moving the unit may disconnect the USB power and may harm the unit.

This will not be a problem if one powers it from the included power supply or outboard PSU. There's a switch to select this at the back of the unit.

Hi...

The DAC-2 sings, especially when outfitted with a Triode Wire Labs power cable and a Locus-Design Polestar USB cable. You are also way ahead of the game if you're driving it with a Mac Mini running Fidelia. These extra notes are indeed the secret sauce (imho). These extras are so worth it.

Good Luck & Happy Listening

I do not think that they stated that it will void the warranty, but you're generating 6.8v on its XLR output from 5v USB power, better be safe than sorry I guess.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. One thing is pretty clear: there are a LOT of interesting DAC's out there!

I have decided to purchase one of the Audiolab 8200CD CD/DAC units, as it has the added versatility of still being able to play CDs. The fact it uses an asynchronous USB connection was the clincher for me. I will predominantly be using Redbook CD material in WAV format from my PC, and want to get everything I can out of it within my budget. The 8200CD appears to give good value for the money, uses one of the newer ESS Sabre DAC chips, and appears to be pretty well designed. I note from a few owners feedback that a few components (mostly capacitors) are upgraded inside the Audiolab 8200CDQ compared to the 8200CD model, and they sound a bit better.

I need to replace all of my audio equipment, so I can't aim as high for a DAC as I might want. The $999 Canadian price for the Audiolabs 8200CD unit is $500 less than the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2, which was what I was leaning towrds. By buying the Audiolabs 8200CD, I save enough money that I can now order a pair of Magnepan MG 1.7 speakers, so I am pretty happy all in all.

What I plan to do eventually is send the Audiolab 8200CD to Chris at Parts Connexion so he can address any sonic limitations due to mid-level parts. I have used his services several times over the years, and the finished products invariably sound much better after he works his magic.

Custom Atom based music server running Windows 7 Professional OS>J.River Media Center 16>WASAPI Event Style>Mdht Labs Havana DAC>Wireworld Platinum Starlight .5 meter USB Cable>Atlas Navigator All-Cu Interconnects>Unison Research Unico Integrated Amp>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (two sets for bi-wiring)>Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v4 Speakers>Custom Oyaide Power Cables [br]

Not sure if it's of interest, but if you're replacing other equipment remember the CdQ version has a reasonable analogue preamp as part of it. That would enable you to get a power amp instead of integrated which may be lower priced.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have what I believe to be an excellent integrated amplifier in my Unison Research Unico, which combines a tube preamplifier section with a solid state power amplifier. For that reason, I have decided the extra preamplifier section in the Audiolab 8200CDQ is unnecessary. This is one of the problems I had with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 too.

I grant that your idea is worth considering if a person doesn't have a good preamp or integrated amplifier, but I do, and I like to keep things simple.

Custom Atom based music server running Windows 7 Professional OS>J.River Media Center 16>WASAPI Event Style>Mdht Labs Havana DAC>Wireworld Platinum Starlight .5 meter USB Cable>Atlas Navigator All-Cu Interconnects>Unison Research Unico Integrated Amp>Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (two sets for bi-wiring)>Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v4 Speakers>Custom Oyaide Power Cables [br]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have an 8200CD, marvelous device…love it!

I only saw two weeks of use out of it. I only visit Poland a few times a year and that's where it is now. I will be there in a few days and can't wait to set it up again with the 8200A.

Audiolab makes elegant gear…very nice.

Don't you love their remote? :)

Take care

Best Regards[br]Alex