IGNORED

Stereophile's "Dolby Atmos: a Bleak Shadow?" - LOL

27 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

He can but he's unwilling to use the "nuclear option". 

Well, Chris could put him in Artic prison or just talk to him like they are another Minnesotan. 😁

Chris is living in the Artic now.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

33 minutes ago, PeterG said:

As a person on the sidelines of both MQA and ATMOS, I have to admit that I am confused:

MQA supporters told us not to worry that their system was proprietary and lossy.

Then MQA critics asserted that proprietary and lossy were so bad that MQA should not exist.

Now a prominent MQA supporter, Stereophile, has criticized ATMOS for being burdened by corporate control (ie proprietary) and lossy.  

And now MQA critics who are also ATMOS supporters, are telling us we should not be concerned about corporate control or lossy.

So the sides seem to have flipped 180 degrees 😳

I could understand saying the lossy format of ATMOS is partially mitigated by the mix and/or more than made up for by the thrilling effect of the extra channels.  But when we don't acknowledge a medium's weakness as a weakness, we risk the rest of the discussion sounding like rhetoric rather than an earnest explanation 

*A fungus' take on this* 🤣

Not quite the same. In m-QAnon's case, they wanted control from front to end, and they get a little piece all the way through. This was about control

ATMOS, is more like the USB standard -Everyone that wants their cable to be called USB needs these things. That is what ATMOS is. Just like Dolby HT was before. This is about STANDARDIZATION.

I am not in it one way or the other, currently (I mean into ATMOS). I think it could be just another form, like vinyl CD, DSD, etc. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects