IGNORED

PGGB and HQPlayer Discussion

MLL

I liked your post (be rude not to) but you're only fueling my impatience to get my hands on the finished release of PGGBDSD. I heard a few test tracks but without the EQ which would have made evaluation quite a bit more useful to Zaphod and to me. 

(Good to know there's more than one PGGB fan in the UK too!)

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Miska said:

Transients in PGGB:

ring-long-s.thumb.png.9e774dc8f5b4922c2ff505f6ee50d3ea.png

ring-long.thumb.png.f355901f27fd41639b7df5f905c208ca.png

Same transients with poly-sinc-gauss-long:

ring-medium-s.thumb.png.ba26404147ed9a39419d9bb350742e54.png

ring-medium.thumb.png.590451b9593e4e20a14348a220fd878f.png

In particular, the Gaussian filters give the most correct transient response.

P.S. Your conclusions in your article are pulled out of your sleeve and have so many errors and misconceptions that it is not even worth trying to correct those. For example it doesn't take into account that the original samples of clipped waveform are wrong to begin with, and need correction. Also for example any samples containing aliasing from the source are wrong to begin with. I'm more interested in reconstructing the signal that once entered the ADC, without the ADC introduced errors. If you want to preserve original samples, HQPlayer offers number of halfband-filters, which don't touch the original samples, but also don't correct any of those errors contained there.

P.P.S. But props for you demonstrating massive noise floor modulation in PGGB on your pages!

You just don't seem to be able to not pollute this thread with unnecessary trash, @MIska. There was another thread for this kind of discussion.

My only question (apart from the obvious) is this: If PGGB is so much worse than your Poly Sinc Gauss filter, why does it sound sooo much better?

I have to agree with @austinpop. Everyone here has huge respect for what HQPlayer has brought to our tiny, almost fetishistic corner of audio and the quality on offer with HQPlayer 5 (and PGGB) are testament to the many years of passionate effort @Miska has invested in showing that separating the reconstruction filter from the D-A engineering piece is a beneficial approach to getting quality audio out of digital.

Certainly I would think that HQP at this stage in its product cycle is hugely more widely used than PGGB. And probably everyone who has a PGGB license has HQP too. I use it for streaming and replay all the time.

The opportunity to discuss and explore the relative benefits of the different approaches without the entrenched and defensive attitude on display by some parties would be illuminating and beneficial to us all (I say "all" but really we are a tiny band of individuals all stuck at the bottom of a conceptual well, seemingly resenting each other for stealing our oxygen!).

Hey ho - as Chris' illustration depicts - the internet runs on this misalignment of views.