IGNORED

JPlay IOS Questions

Just now, stefano_mbp said:

Actually if you select PCM in Output mode HQPlayer will convert everything to PCM

this is my HQPlayer embedded configuration that works fine with dsd from Minimserver 

IMG_3128.png

IMG_3129.jpeg

No that’s not the case , in my case hqplayer converts everything to dsd because I set output to sdm. What I was referring to is when I play a dsd file, with minimserver, hqplayer will convert a pcm 32/384 file into dsd

with minidlna, no conversion took place, hqplayer will convert the original dsd into dsd 

I cannot understand … can you elaborate? 

Say I have a .dsf file. Now that I am running minimserver connected to jplay ios, when I play the file, it gets converted to pcm which hqplayer then converted to dsd512

if I run minidlna connected to jplay iOS, when I play the same .dsf file, the original .dsf file gets sent to hqplayer for upsample to dsd512

4 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

Say I have a .dsf file. Now that I am running minimserver connected to jplay ios, when I play the file, it gets converted to pcm which hqplayer then converted to dsd512

if I run minidlna connected to jplay iOS, when I play the same .dsf file, the original .dsf file gets sent to hqplayer for upsample to dsd512

Very strange ….

In this example I’m playing right now a DSD64 from Minimserver and HQPlayer receive a DSD64 file that upsample to DSD512

IMG_3130.png

IMG_3131.png

Stefano

My audio system

On 3/23/2024 at 5:11 AM, stefano_mbp said:

@dericchan1 try eventually to restart HQPlayer and then close (swipe off) JPlay and relaunch it

So turns out Miska had confirmed the USB input NAA is currently for pcm only and will convert DSD to PCM so has nothing to do with Minimserver VS Minidlna. 

As to how to organize digital tracks with minimserver, I think I have come up with a temporary solution. It appears minimserver is not properly picking up my Chinese albums in Chinese characters, for example, a Chinese album with 10 tracks, 9 of which in Chinese character while maybe track has the English name say "Sorry, I love you". Minimserver only picked up that 1 track in the entire album. 

So now I installed minidlna for sharing my Chinese albums and Minimserver for other English albums and that worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Another New Follow-Up

I purchased a NAS and installed a 2 TB SSD that was lying around. Added my ripped CD's (aiffs) and then installed the free version of Minimserver yesterday.  JPlay IOS picked it all up with one update and has been very responsive with this configuration.

It's all just settling in but might well be the end of a dedicated player.

Thanks to all for the insight bestowed upon me after posing my initial question.

John 

@Marcin_gps 

hi, I come across 1 issue I would like to report and hopefully the upcoming update with the “stop” function may address this.

so I use jplay iOS upnp to upmpdcli/mpd in my RPI4. When I press “pause” in the middle of a track, jplay iOS could not “pause” completely, and still spitting out sound every few seconds. 

Tried with mconnect and bubbleupnp - no issue with pausing

cheers

Deric

4 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

so I use jplay iOS upnp to upmpdcli/mpd in my RPI4. When I press “pause” in the middle of a track, jplay iOS could not “pause” completely, and still spitting out sound every few seconds

I have a very similar setup (JPlay/rpi4/RoPieee/UPNP) and I’ve never faced that issue … which kind of upmpdcli/MPD are you using?

Stefano

My audio system

I do understand, but trying another Upmpdcli/MPD “flavor” can help to troubleshoot your issue … maybe there is some delay in your specific setup

Agreed. It is a really odd issue. Not sure why other upnp control apps can pause cleanly but not jplay iOS.

i also tried jplay iOS to embedded hqp (no rpi4) and that works fine too