IGNORED

HQplayer 5 and Holo Audio

Bushikai

36 minutes ago, Schafheide said:

System as follows -

Mac Mini (DSD output) > LAN > EtherRegen > LAN > Holo Red (NAA v4.5) > USB > May (original USB module) > XLR > Mjolnir Carbon CC (or Blue Hawaii SE) > Audeze CRBN.

OK, so essentially Mjolnir is short of gain even when set to high gain mode?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 hours ago, Schafheide said:

Neither the Mjolnir or the BHSE have a gain selector - just the volume knob on front.

Ahh, OK, when I checked the Schiit site for Mjolnir front panel it looked like it had gain selector switch. My Jotunheim has gain selector low/high gain. Also my Ferrum Oor has three gain options, -6 dB, 0 dB and +6 dB. For example with AKG K601's I use +6 dB gain option.

On Jotunheim with low gain setting, suitable volume is roughly volume knob pointing up with low gain setting.

16 hours ago, Schafheide said:

Which Backend should I be using - CoreAudio, NetworkAudioAdaptor or NetworkAudiAdaptor IPv6 - at present I use the IPv6.

If you are using a NAA, then NAA IPv6 is best option.

8 hours ago, Schafheide said:

As a workaround for this gain problem - would there be any harm in adding 6dB gain in the Matrix Pipeline settings (or even removing the line "Preamp: -6.2 dB" in my headphone EQ txt file) ??

Yes, you will run into limiting/clipping when music content happens to hit the boosted frequencies at high level. The preamp gain is there for important purpose!

Solutions are pretty much to get either higher sensitivity headphones, higher gain headphone amplifier, or a DAC with higher output level (as long as it doesn't lead to clipping in headphone amp).

I didn't find any gain figures from the web page you referred to. But the manufacturer seems to be relatively small one, so you could ask if they could modify gain of your amplifier unit. In best case it only means replacing two resistors with a different value ones.

• 2 months later...

Does the new Red image 4.61 include NAA 5.0?  I've been having a lot of stops running HQP 4.22 into the Red with image 4.60 and I can get it going again by accessing the preferences page and hitting cancel or OK, which seems to reset the connection.  Hoping this new image stops the freezing.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok really need some help to get this working.
I had been running the Holo Red with the HQPlayer OS and Roon with no problems, but I got a new Macbook Air M3/16RAM and wanted to try running the PCM upsampling to 192/24 and the convolution filter on the Macbook, and then via NAA to the Holo Red.

At the Holo Red I have configured for Backend NAA:

image.thumb.png.0c8d119969ee31d1c8264a6beee05d85.png

but at the HQPlayer Desktop what settings should I use their to run the upsampling & convolution on it?

For output I guess it's:

image.thumb.png.8135736dd9426dda198c1ba16c61b3ad.png

But for input ?

image.thumb.png.54664f143e0c633d362b115833b3f745.png

I don't have any library, so just will be using Qobuz to stream.

2 hours ago, Markus8 said:

Ok really need some help to get this working.
I had been running the Holo Red with the HQPlayer OS and Roon with no problems, but I got a new Macbook Air M3/16RAM and wanted to try running the PCM upsampling to 192/24 and the convolution filter on the Macbook, and then via NAA to the Holo Red.

I recommend taking another microSD card and just flash NAA OS there instead. Shutdown the HQPlayer OS, power down Red, swap the card, power up and you are ready!

At the Holo Red I have configured for Backend NAA:

image.thumb.png.0c8d119969ee31d1c8264a6beee05d85.png

You should keep your HQPlayer Embedded doing ALSA output, is is not useful to set NAA output pointing to the same machine.

but at the HQPlayer Desktop what settings should I use their to run the upsampling & convolution on it?

For output I guess it's:

image.thumb.png.8135736dd9426dda198c1ba16c61b3ad.png

Here you should set output to the Holo Red's output, same as you have set in HQPlayer OS. But here you use NAA backend instead of ALSA, since the endpoint is remote.

However, the device may not appear here when you are running HQPlayer on the Red, because it is keeping the audio device reserved. Hence the suggestion to use NAA OS instead for this case. It is rather easy to swap the microSD card, and you don't need to touch the HQPlayer OS configuration.

But for input ?

image.thumb.png.54664f143e0c633d362b115833b3f745.png

I don't have any library, so just will be using Qobuz to stream.

So just "[none]" for input. Input tab is about input hardware devices, such as ADC or S/PDIF input or similar. (Or USB through RPi4 for example)