IGNORED

Article: Immersive Music Favorites, Part 6

pausing to listen to a record

I know that works 😄

and hey !! I did get my Atmos discs ripped and can play them to my Trinnov via HDMI with Media Player so huge progress in just a few days. I'm calling that a win ...  

Now I need a player that will send my multichannel DSD files over as PCM and my multichannel DVD-A that I ripped to Flac. Roon will do that but hoping for something I don't have to subscribe to

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

problem solved almost

I decided to try UPnP since the Trinnov AL16 can use that. So I searched how to set that up on PC. I found info on how to turn on streaming and file sharing. I thought, why not try Media Player again and it now sends multichannel Flac files I ripped from DVD-A discs to the AL16? It won't play AIF or DSD files though. So I thought, I'll try JRiver again and now that works too. It will play all of my audio files, DSD converted to PCM, AIF, Flac, etc and multichannel if they are.

Also got it to import and play my mkv files but it isn't passing Atmos, the AL16 says they are PCM... tomorrows project

4 hours ago, bbosler said:

problem solved almost

I decided to try UPnP since the Trinnov AL16 can use that. So I searched how to set that up on PC. I found info on how to turn on streaming and file sharing. I thought, why not try Media Player again and it now sends multichannel Flac files I ripped from DVD-A discs to the AL16? It won't play AIF or DSD files though. So I thought, I'll try JRiver again and now that works too. It will play all of my audio files, DSD converted to PCM, AIF, Flac, etc and multichannel if they are.

Also got it to import and play my mkv files but it isn't passing Atmos, the AL16 says they are PCM... tomorrows project

Nice progress!

Make sure JRMC is set to import MKV files. In the options you can tell it which files to associate with JRMC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

16 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I found the bit streaming option in JRiver... I think maybe I have it all working

Fingers Crossed Png, Transparent Png - kindpng

I was also thinking about trying MKA files becuase it's audio, but I guess we can cross that bridge if necessary. 

You should try JRemote as well. Great remote app for JRiver. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I can play everything. The MKV as videos and the rest as music. I haven't figured out how to get it all to play natively. If I get it all set so the AL 16 sees the mkv as Atmos then it wants to play everything at 48K and says it is Atmos. If I get it set so the music files play natively it doesn't see the MKV as Atmos. There are so many possible combinations of settings in JRiver + settings in Windows Sound + settings in  the AL16 it is very easy to get it where it stops working at all. Sometimes the AL16 gets confused and I have to reboot it

so slow going

It is currently set so it plays MKV Atmos properly but the AL 16 says everything I send is Atmos, 2 channel AIF is Atmos 48K, DSD  converted to PCM is Atmos 48K, etc. It plays but I don't like that. 

I did get the remote to connect but haven't played with it

I think I got it, it is decoding everything properly, DVD-A , DSD, AIF, WAV all at their native rate or downsampled to the AL16 max rate (96 or 88,2) as appropriate and detects and plays Atmos. Correctly detects mkv encoded with DTS Master Audio = Los Lobos "Kiko Live" which is an awesome BluRay 

image.png

40 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I think I got it, it is decoding everything properly, DVD-A , DSD, AIF, WAV all at their native rate or downsampled to the AL16 max rate (96 or 88,2) as appropriate and detects and plays Atmos. Correctly detects mkv encoded with DTS Master Audio = Los Lobos "Kiko Live" which is an awesome BluRay 

image.png

Nice!

43 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

can the AL16 accept WAV files with more than eight channels, over any of its inputs?

I am thinking not but I don't know... what software can play them, and where can I get one?

I see a 352K 5.1.4 wav on TRPTK but don't want to spend € 60,00 just to try it

BTW I got the Los Lobos "Kiko" video to the AL16 by mirroring my PC screen. so I can see it on my 14 foot screen..   The performance is excellent and mesmerizing to see while listening in glorious surround. Of course you get the same thing by just playing the BluRay, but that would not have consumed 3 days of my life getting it to play from my PC  so well worth it 😂

2 minutes ago, bbosler said:

BTW I got the Los Lobos "Kiko" video to the AL16 by mirroring my PC screen. so I can see it on my 14 foot screen..   The performance is excellent and mesmerizing to see while listening in glorious surround. Of course you get the same thing by just playing the BluRay, but that would not have consumed 3 days of my life getting it to play from my PC  so well worth it 😂

Ha! 

I am thinking not but I don't know... what software can play them, and where can I get one?

I'll send you a test file. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll send you a test file. 

Won't play in Media Player, with JRiver it plays. I get 7 bed channels, the L-R rear plays in the L-R surround and vice versa, ( I could reassign the surrounds to fix that )   the subs play a tone from LFE,

but no height. I tried 7.1, then 7.1 with 4 extra channels, then 12 channels, with 12 channels it reverts to stereo

I'll ask over at the Trinnov forum at AVS Forums and see if anybody has pulled this off

image.png

Won't play in Media Player, with JRiver it plays. I get 7 bed channels, the L-R rear plays in the L-R surround and vice versa, ( I could reassign the surrounds to fix that )   the subs play a tone from LFE,

but no height. I tried 7.1, then 7.1 with 4 extra channels, then 12 channels, with 12 channels it reverts to stereo

I'll ask over at the Trinnov forum at AVS Forums and see if anybody has pulled this off

image.png

Thanks Bruce!

When I output to my Merging gear over Ravenna from JRMC I have it set to 12 channels on that screen. 

image.thumb.png.c3abc04aed1ddf75dbe27b041a82c799.png

from Trinnov support .....  Are you using the HDMI port for the PC? If so, you will automatically be limited to 8 channels (7.1). 
You would need a device that could convert in Atmos directly (which i don't think it exists at this point in time). 

Something you could do is using the DCI input (16 channels) but it would mean that you need an eternal sound card that can handle this... Not practical here.  Same for Roon but it's up to 8 channels (7.1) there as well... Sorry to disappoint... 

So the 7.1.4 file would need to be put into a form like Atmos (maybe DTS or Auro3D ?) that can be coded with more than 8 channels that the Trinnov  can decode. With a setup like yours it would be possible to use the AL32 as the 12 channel DAC using the digital inputs, not practical for us mere mortals, and I only have an AL16 which does not have the 16 channel digital input  port.

did you drop your plans to audition the AL32?

28 minutes ago, bbosler said:

image.thumb.png.c3abc04aed1ddf75dbe27b041a82c799.png

from Trinnov support .....  Are you using the HDMI port for the PC? If so, you will automatically be limited to 8 channels (7.1). 
You would need a device that could convert in Atmos directly (which i don't think it exists at this point in time). 

Something you could do is using the DCI input (16 channels) but it would mean that you need an eternal sound card that can handle this... Not practical here.  Same for Roon but it's up to 8 channels (7.1) there as well... Sorry to disappoint... 

So the 7.1.4 file would need to be put into a form like Atmos (maybe DTS or Auro3D ?) that can be coded with more than 8 channels that the Trinnov  can decode. With a setup like yours it would be possible to use the AL32 as the 12 channel DAC using the digital inputs, not practical for us mere mortals, and I only have an AL16 which does not have the 16 channel digital input  port.

did you drop your plans to audition the AL32?

Thanks so much for the info!

Plans for AL32 aren't dropped compeltely, but there is a hiccup. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bruce,

I understand you have Kodi passing Atmos in a Windows environment via HDMI, is that correct?

I'm not sure I found anyone that could do that before. If so would you please share the Kodi & Windows config settings.

I use VLC to pass Atmos in Windows, but have no issues using Kodi to pass Atmos in my PCLinuxOS build. But still can't make VLC pass Atmos in Linux.  Strange.  LOL

For those playing with Auro 3D, I've had no issues running Auro embeded in flac files most anywhere. If only Atmos should be so easy.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

hmmmmm

it has been a month since those experiments and I tried a LOT of different things so my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but looking back through this thread I don't see where I ever said I got Kodi to properly play Atmos. I did say it played but I only got 2 channels. 

I did get Windows Media Player and JRiver to work properly. I am using JRiver