IGNORED

Release of Sonic Orbiter Operating System v2.9 for the Rendu Series

On 8/30/2023 at 8:11 AM, dknk said:

I have an ultraRendu running v2.9 and running NAA as an hqplayer endpoint only. I get occasional stoppages in playback if I switch tracks quickly, especially if the bit rate is different, i.e., going from 44.1k to 48k material. The only fix is to reboot the ultraRendu.

I dug a little deeper into this when the stops happen and found some interesting clues. The relevant details have been sent to Sonore.

Can you post the information here?

On 8/31/2023 at 7:21 AM, juniorbudel said:

I don't know if it's exactly the same problem but occasionally I have crashes when using Roon + HQP with the OR, it gives a warning “Roon has lost connection with the device” and just comes back by doing a full reset. This happened with UR 2.7 and 2.8 and it happens with OR in version 2.8. I realize that most of the time it happens when I change tracks within a few seconds of playing a song. I don't know where the problem is, whether in the network, in the OR or in the Matrix spdif.

Please post the complete output of Dac Diagnostics for your device.

3 hours ago, PhMZ4 said:

Have as well some interruptions since the 2.9, especially with 48k based material (24/96 PCM last weekend)… sometimes there is a quite random 2 to 3s timeout and music is playing again, sometimes it crashes. in these cases, my OR is loosing connection to my Gustard U18 DDC and I need to reboot the OR.

i hope you’ll be able to find the root causes, as it is becoming annoying and I’m struggling not to rollback to 2.8.

The issue in your case appears to be different as you describe it as random. The others are having issues when playback starts. I would try 2.8 for a while. 

3 hours ago, esmit said:

Sometimes, when changing from 44 to 48 (or a multiplication of that) sound is sttange/distorted, a little high pitched. Pause and restart solves this. Not frequently enough to be fully reproducible, in my opinion. I use SRX-DX, not the usb of my Mscaler. 

Post the output of Apps DAC Diagnostics for me.

I hope those people who criticized our decision to update via new microSD cards now understood the benefits of having a spare card to revert back to and test things. If you updated over the air on our competitions unit to a 6.x kernel you will have similar issues and you are now stuck there until a fix makes it’s way into the kernel. Yes, you can burn a new image, but that makes things cumbersome for you. Sonore is not a DIY project…we are customer centric. 

2 hours ago, esmit said:

Missed that part:

DAC Diagnostics

This is a list of audio output devices attached to this player.

USB output

DAC description: SRC-DX      2fc6:6013

Diagnostic information for this DAC

AudioWise Inc. SRC-DX at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Endpoint: 0x01 (1 OUT) (ADAPTIVE)

These units are Adaptive USB!

Email me at [email protected]

I have something better for you to try.

Also they report as if they suport DSD which is wierd becuase it cant...it can only support DoP. 

For those of you having issues with Roon and/or HQP streaming with SO 2.9...I want you to try adjusting the buffer settings on the server side. One customer reported that he was using a high buffer settings and was able to fix things with a lower buffer setting.  

On 9/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, Cormorant said:

I've got 2.9 installed and it does seem like it offers slightly increased clarity over 2.8, which is great.  I notice a touch more clarity across the frequency spectrum including a tad tighter and more dynamic bass.

It looks to me like you do have top notch gear!

I looked at a Stereophile review of the KEF Ls50 Anniversary Edition.  Measurements are here:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

Here is the spatially averaged frequency response of the Ls50 speakers in John Atkinson's room (red line):  

image.png.90109dbf48f4e42f32a2a0cfc617ff30.png

I don't know what your in-room response looks like, but the JA room frequency response isn't really going to make most of our ears and brain happy at all, particularly in the treble.  Most listeners prefer a down-sloping frequency curve from bass to treble.

If your in-room response looks anything like the chart above, using Acourate or Audiolense room/speaker correction software could fix your prominent treble issues.  Most speakers need EQ to shine, in my opinion.

Nice post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, jiminlogansquare said:

Hey, all. I wanted to report back that, after lots of hair pulling and tooth gnashing, I eventually found the answer to my problem. Briefly, you gotta hit “Apply” on the HQPlayer Configuration page even though the name of the Rendu/DAC pathway are appearing in the NAA field, looking all to the world as if HQPlayer had recognized them. There is literally nothing about the UI of HQPlayer that would make you realize this intuitively. I just eventually tried hitting “Apply” even though there was no obvious signal to do so. AND IT WORKED. End of saga. 

I appreciate you posting this. 

For those of you having issues with SO 2.9 (Linux ARM Kernel 6.x) I need to go though this post and emails to filter things. I'll separate user error and known issues and post as much information as possible. There are a few devices that are having issues such as glitches or dropouts, playback stops randomly, and/or playback does not start properly. We are going to enable a new feature on sonicorbiter.com that will allow us to gather information about the specific issue you are having.

The fall back position for listening to music is your SO 2.8 (Linux ARM Kernel 5.x) micro SD card.

5 hours ago, topside3 said:

I updated my opticalRendu (2.9) via the web interface and now nothing will play via Roon. It just keep skipping tracks then says too many failures, stopping playback.

I have seen this with SO 2.9 updated in the last few days (Linux ARM Kernel 6.1). We have disabled that update until we can trace the issue. Luckily I have a DDC here that exhibits the issue and can test any new prospect versions. I'll be testing Linux ARM Kernel 6.2 soon.   

2 hours ago, dknk said:

Can you allow me to test the 6.2 kernel using my Denafrips dac? I have an UltraRendu and an OpticalRendu. I have backups for v2.8 and v2.9 so not worried about breaking something. Just a thought.

Yes. Let me work out a delivery method with Andrew at SGC. 

On 10/2/2023 at 1:21 PM, amsco15 said:

I posted this in the incorrect thread (Sonore opticalRendu....apologizes).  I think this belongs in the OS 2.9 thread.  I believe there is a gapless playback issue with OS 2.9 in MPD/DLNA.  Below is based upon a couple steps over the last few days:

First

I have a new issue using JRiver over DLNA.  This has ALWAYS worked on my network/system until now.  My first play (after switching from Roon) was white noise.  Cleared the queue and started play again, all seemed good.  Now, there is a very brief pause at the 20 seconds to remain mark of each song. 

OS 2.9 (latest), JRiver/jremote (latest), signature rendu SE, PS Audio DSD mkii DAC.

Second

I believe the issue is a gapless problem.  Only occurs on live music (or I assume abbey road) using JRiver/dlna.  Gapless works fine in Roon.  Ug, who knows where the problem is.  

Think the issue revolves around the SetNext function.  JRiver allows me to disable SetNext (for broken renderers).  Disabling SetNext moves the pause (tick) to the beginning of the next track (right at the transition), from the 20 seconds left point.

Finally

I just re-installed 2.8.  gapless play works as it should.  None of the issues described above.

Thanks, Dale

We are in the process of updating the Kernel on SO2.9 so I would hold off on testing and troubleshooting until the new release comes out.

14 hours ago, MikePid said:

I've been using 2.9 in my ultraRendu for a couple of weeks now.  Sounds great!  My use-case is limited to using ultraRendu as HQPlayer NAA.  After I got the card, I did several updates (including HQP NAA) which went smoothly.  I still get the occasional "broken pipe" or "FIFO" error in the HQPlayer desktop, but power-cycling the DAC seems to fix it.  It was happening on 2.8 too, and too early to tell if it is less frequent on 2.9

Thanks to Sonore for the update!

Which DAC do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

When you do these updates you have to check that you USB device is listed in DAC Diagnostic and then press Save in Setting or set the unit to NAA mode. 

You also need to go to Roon, HQPlayer, and/or mConnect to reset things there. 

If you are having boot issues email me directly at [email protected]

FYI 

Red status LED = no boot

Orange status LED = no internet / network issue

Green status LED = unit can be managed

7 hours ago, topside3 said:

I just made sure that my DAC was recognized by the OS, went to settings and hit save, rebooted, and still the same issues. Roon will just skip tracks until it says "Too many failures. Stopping Playback"

Did you go to Roon Audio and select the Rendu? 
Also, have you synced your music collection and Roon storage?