IGNORED

Squeezbox / Sonos Software Music Players?

Are there any software music players for these systems that anyone would recommend?

I'm playing with a VortexBox (okay, thinking about a Sonore Music Server, but want to avoid spending dollars till I have a much better understanding. )

It actually looks great to me, and sounds very nice coming out of a Linux box with the MF V-Link. But remote music is a bit of a pain.

Of course, it cannot stream (so far as I know) to an Airport Express, which would be perfect to my way of thinking. I was thinking of just streaming it to a cheap PC or a couple old PowerPC Mac Minis, but cannot find a software player for either one that is reliable and appears to be bit perfect.

Thoughts? It's okay with me of the thought of the moment is - "crazy!"

It's just an interesting little thing to play with and investigate.

My best half is a wee bit annoyed at computers that don't work 100% of the time - to put it mildly! :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

the DAAP app in Vortexbox will allow iTunes to see and play files stored in Vortexbox. FYI even FLAC files:) Anyway, if iTunes can see and play the files you should be able to push the music to an airport express on the network. Here is a link that should help you setup iTunes and the Airport Express:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/setup.html

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Problem is two fold:

(1) I have to keep an iTunes server up to do this and

(2) When using a shared library, there isn't any artwork available for the shared files.

I know point number two sounds whiney, but hey! If I had my way, every album would come with at least an 800x600 cover art and a ton of liner notes.

:)

I was kind of hoping there was a way just to have VortexBox player stream to airport express units the same way it can to Squeezebox units (or Squeezeplayers).

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein