IGNORED

Article: Using Roon ARC on Vacation - I Hate It, I Love It, I'm Indifferent

On 3/18/2023 at 8:19 AM, charlesphoto said:

Looks like we just missed each other by a couple of weeks (if that). Honestly, when I'm on Kauai or elsewhere like it, I don't even bother with music, though at times I suppose it would be nice (like The Descendants soundtrack esp). We listen to a little bad island reggae on the car radio, and rest of the time it's the waves and birds and tucked into a good book or game of cards, taking photos (nearly 200GB this last trip) etc. I've never once thought the lack of music made my time there anything less than it should be. And the last thing I want on vacation are IT hassles. Of course, audio reproduction, or writing about it, is not my job. 

Was it still raining considerably there? What part of the island were you staying? Our favorite beaches are the "Sheraton" beach in Poipu, and the hidden Allerton Beach, or "Trespassing" beach as we call it (as one has to ignore the "No..." signs) past Spouting Horn. 

ARC actually frustrated me yesterday as it was playing when I didn't know it, therefore using up my data (I'm on Google Fi, pay as you go). I went to search for something I heard on the radio (my main use of ARC) and accidentally got a 'radio' stream going. How long for I don't know. Think I prefer Qobuz direct personally. 

Hi Charles! Yeah, we just missed each other. I saw some of your photos as I was preparing to leave :~)

When I'm on vacation, music is critical for me and my family. This year, Taylor Swift provided the soundtrack to much of the trip becuase my daughter is a hug fan. I'd say most of my frinds and family are in your camp and don't bother with much music on vacation. As you say, there is aso the factor of audio reproduction and writing about it as a job, that gives me an extra push. 

I used to bring a camera everywhere, but haven't felt like going through the hassle lately. Sound familiar? I count on professionals like you to shoot the good stuff I could never get anyway :~) Family photos are just fine on my iPhone for now. I'm sure some day I'll go back to by 503CW just because I enjoy using it and I love what the photos look like, not that they are more accurate than other options. 

It wasn't very rainy at all. We stayed half the time on the north side and half on the south. Hanalei is our favorite place. We love the vibe of the north side of the island, even though the beaches can be dangerous this time of year.  I love the one lane bridges while driving to Hanalei and all the way to Tunnels beach, and the little beaches along the way. 

On the south side we stayed in Poipu, but spent a considerable amount of time along the south coast each day. Talk Story bookstore, Japanese Grandma cafe, Waimea Canyon, etc... all fun stuff. The turtles Poipu were of course unforgettable. 

Thanks for the beach tips. Those are usually the best, rather than the most popular beaches. I can't wait to return.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...