IGNORED

Which ethernet port?

audiobomber

Question

The manufacturer of my 8-port gigabit network switch says to connect the router LAN to port 1. I don't understand why this might matter. I've heard someone else say not to use adjacent ports. What is the reasoning? Is there any strategy for which Ethernet ports to use?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

9 answers to this question

I was puzzled by this too, my current switch informs about priority of  ports on the front 

(it's sitting idle 'on the bench' while building the second rail of the linear power supply for router and switch)

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6b052e83f1a966c03f41218a0e74de.jpeg

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 3/6/2023 at 5:00 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is no hard and fast rule about switch ports, that works across brands and models. Some have hard coded uplink ports, others split the bandwidth between two sets of four ports (8 port switch), some slow down all ports of X number of devices are at a slower speed, etc… It really depends on the exact switch. 

The only instruction I can see regarding my switch is to use port 1 for the router LAN cable. Why might that be? Is there's something different about port 1? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

I suppose if there was somebody here with the answer, then it might help them to know which switch you refer to (& even add a photo ?). Without any further info it’ll all be a bit of guesswork.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

10 minutes ago, krass said:

I suppose if there was somebody here with the answer, then it might help them to know which switch you refer to (& even add a photo ?). Without any further info it’ll all be a bit of guesswork.

Silent Angel Bonn N8

https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/_files/ugd/74d562_549a9831af5d4cc3b05a9f92023afd3d.pdf

The Silent Angel line are not standard switches, but built for audio (as you know).

Maybe they included some galvanic isolation to isolate port 1  from the other ports, such that all your downstream audio connections are isolated ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

10 hours ago, krass said:

The Silent Angel line are not standard switches, but built for audio (as you know).

Maybe they included some galvanic isolation to isolate port 1  from the other ports, such that all your downstream audio connections are isolated ?

All the ports are galvanic isolated if you use UTP cables. In the past, Some MIT student had connected 10BASE2 to AC mains to break down all the computers of the network! Subsequent Ethernet standards provide galvanic isolation of all the ports for recurrence prevention.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

I emailed the manufacturer for an explanation. They suggested to use port #1 for the router, even though it is not in my critical music chain, and port #8 for the DAC connection. I requested an explanation as to why the ports may be different, but did not receive a reply.

that is weird, so either there is nothing to it, or they are not willing to share proprietary info or they just don't want to explain...at least they should let you know WHY they don't say why (IMO)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps.