IGNORED

Sitting at my desk in home office - switch to active monitors?

Thanks.

I'll check into KingRex with the USB input. I do wonder how good their DAC is. I'll guess that the HRT is better and intend to keep it though I can easily return it unopened.

The 32Ohm ALO people said that they prefer their ALO Panda speaker to the Jon Blue 3 as it is warmer though less detailed, and they recommended it paired with their MiniWatt N3.

Decisions, decisions....it's a good thing to have.

Again, VagabondJ thanks for your help.

UL

• 1 month later...

I am using Genelec 6101 bi-amp active speakers from V-dac from HiFace converter.

The speakers can be set to various frequency cut option to suit different set up situation. I find it effective for desk top use.

It lacks volume control that bigger siblings have and also input is only RCA instead of balanced.

The casing made with aluminum looks like it would last for decades. It also come with adjustable rubble base stand which save the cost and trouble of using isolating supports.

I auditioned bigger version using balance input in the same setting in my office but I finally chose this smallest one because I find the high pitch sound of string music is more defined and space saving.

The flac classical music files sound good with the set up. I can hear the detail sound from the sound box of cello and violin quite more clearly than the tube amp/B&W speaker system at home. Because of the lack of bass output from such a small speaker, I was ever tempted to add the subwoofer of the same brand name when listening to more contemporary music. But then it will take up space under my desk.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Folks,

I wanted to start this thread up again. I am new to the forum and have been reading everything as I am now bitten by the computer audiophile bug.

My situation is that my home office is in a ridiculously small room.

The wall that my desk is against is a mere 62 inches, my desk is 48 in wide x 30 inches.

I've been using a Jamo active speaker and sub with JR Media Center They definitely need to be replaced. I have a CA DAC (another story) and have also been rummaging through some of my old speakers trying them out on the desktop.

I sit a mere 40 inches from a wall mounting and I've notice as I try some of my old speakers (mirage omnisat) that the pressure level becomes fatiguing to me.

So I guess the question is would a passive like the recommended Peachtree D5s in wall brackets be too much? Are the D4.5s enough?

I'd even consider Gallo Stradas on the wall but I am so close.

I have Gallo Ref speakers in my main room and really love them.

And the active speakers are allover the place in price.

So do you have any more thoughts on optimizing a very small space?

I am not a headphone guy.

Do any of you have a similar situation?

Again many thanks for this awesome site and dialog.

Best,

Brad (aka sspiper)

I have had an issue with space before. I am not a fan of active monitors, though the new generations of active monitors could change my mind on that. Still, something like a NAD 715 receiver and a pair of PSB Alpha B1s hung on the wall would be one of my first choices. Very budget friendly.

Going upscale, a set of the Maggie Minis, with a bit more amplifer power, say a Peachtree Nova, would be where I would probably land. ;)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

It seems like you are looking for speakers only, but here is my 2 cents ...

After spending a small fortune on a home setup, which now is used primarily by my children while watching Nickelodeon TV shows (SpongeBob sounds great on my B&W's), I decided to upgrade the sound system in the location where I actually listen to music .... in front of the computer in my office.

I did a fair amount of research on dacs, amps and speakers suitable for a desktop, and then I picked up the the CEntrance Audiophile Desktop, which consists of the CEntrance DACmini PX dac/amp and a pair MasterClass 2504 speakers ($2K total). The PX is connected to Vista machine, running Media Jukebox 14, with the equalizer is set to the pre-configured “Rock” setting. I added speaker stands (Audioengine DS2 stands). I've been using it for almost 2 months and couldn't be happier.

CraigS

I ended up going with the Mini Maggies as the speakers for my home office setup. I am using a Rega Brio-R (powerful and small) to drive them. DACs have been an interesting adventure and I have been through a bunch of them. That is the only "undecided" part of my system, but it sounds fantastic.

[br]iMac 27 --> WireWorld Ultraviolet USB 2.0 --> Peachtree Audio DAC iT --> Morrow Audio MA 1.1 --> Rega Brio-R --> Anti-Cables ---> Mini Maggies

Good advice and it looks like they have a 30 day trial available.

You mention the Nova and I've been thinking about the Nova pre and amp.

Wanting to give the 24/192 Asynchronous USB Input a try to see where I fall in the various discussions on that topic... So far I only been able to listen to 24/96. This is because I can't for the life of me get the CA USB Class 2 driver to work properly on my laptop running Windows 7..... more fun! ;-)

So as mentioned I thought the speakers would offer quick gratification.

Brad

Actually I already started down the path with a CA DacMagic Plus which I believe I'll replace/upgrade. I expected to hear a huge difference even with my little Jamo setup but didn't and that's what started me fiddling with speakers since I had the omni sats to compare.

In defense of the DacMagic it does have a nice impact when used with my other setup.

The speakers seemed like the easiest thing to tackle for immediate gratification....

I am intrigued by the Peachtree Audio soon to be released nova Pre but would have to go for an amp as well,possibly matching peachtree 220 Power Amp.

I hadn't heard of the Centrance and will definitely check it out.

So that was why I was considering Actives. Then all i would have needed was the nova Pre.

So many choices so little time and money DOH!

Brad

Brad,

Let me save you a phone call. DO NOT put the Mini Maggies anywhere near the wall! They are like the "regular" Maggies and need some room to breathe. In fact, if you desk is right up against the wall, that will likely be an issue.

[br]iMac 27 --> WireWorld Ultraviolet USB 2.0 --> Peachtree Audio DAC iT --> Morrow Audio MA 1.1 --> Rega Brio-R --> Anti-Cables ---> Mini Maggies

I am also looking for an active speaker. I have the A2s, but I want a bit more. I like the look of the Audioengine line, clean looking, not busy, or distracting LEDs on the front. If the Emotiva Pro Airmotiva 4s didnt have the blue LED, I would have already ordered them.

Same with the Adams I searched on, as well as the Dynadio BM5A. Way to 'techie'. It' not just the wife acceptance factor, its also mine!

I listened to the Aktimate Minis at a local dealer, I liked the high end of the speakers. No need for an iPod dock and all the other bells and whistles though.

I think I want to move away from the typical silk dome tweeter, and either a ribbon or metal tweeter. I don't mind a bright sounding speaker with not over powering bass.

I'd like to stay under $600 dollars, any other suggestions?

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Hmm, focal CMS 40's may fit the bill. Now if I can find a dealer selling them in the Chicago area..

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

So many great suggestions. Focals, Audio engine,paradigm,Adam,PSB, Peachtree D5,4,4.5.....Gallo Strada. Heck I almost pulled the trigger on the Maggie Minis but my setup won't allow for them. Small desk pushed right against the front wall.....

So my next question would be do any of you use wall mounts for your office desktop listening? That is what I am forced to. Thoughts and comments appreciated on any of these or other wall mounted speakers. I am sitting at about 40 inches from where they will have to be mounted.

Cheers,

Brad

One other setup I had about 7 or 8 years ago were the Blueroom speakers. They were by far the coolest looking wall-mounted speakers I have ever owned. It looks like they have been taken over by Scandyna - http://www.scandyna-speakers.com/

Yet another option......

They are a real upgrade and come in nice finishes. I personally like the bamboo, but the A5s look like "real" speakers and not a pro/techie device.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well, I ended up buying the Adam A3x nearfield monitors.

My listening area is about three feet to the right and slightly behind my computer desk. I listen to music mostly seated at the computer diesk, which will change as soon as I can find a chair that is acceptable to the wife. Then it will be a more traditional triangle situated behind the computer desk. My system sits on top of a bookshelf, and the idea is to have my main listening area double as a reading nook.

They sound nice, should be even better after break in.

Good for you. I am very curious as I've never listened to professional audio monitors as opposed to loudspeakers. I believe I can check them out at a local guitar center. How do you find them? In other words to you find the nearfield sound pleasing, optimized for lower volume etc? Enjoy!

I also use active monitors in my office setup and i'm very satisfied with the results.

iMac > Mytek DSD 192 DAC > Genelec 8020

Simple and great sound.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

@sspiper-

I searched online for active speakers, and was seriously looking at the focal CMS 40's. There were no dealers near me, so I looked for other alternatives. Noticed that ADAMS are carried at Guitar Center, drove down Sunday and gave them a listen. Bought on faith and reviews really, as the sound in their demo room (for home/small studio mixing) left a lot to be desired. They also had a 100 dollar off coupon, so bonus!

They do look 'techy', but not as bad when sitting on my shelf (its darker, as they are back lit by a lamp). I like the nearfield sound a lot, and for now, I am happy with them (wished I had never seen these http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/sm6-line/solo6-be.php..)

One issue I am battling with is the low volume setting, jRiver with volume disabled -> DAC -> speakers. My DAC has no volume control, and I cannot set the volume low enough on monitors alone. I have to use the digital volume control in jRiver to go -8 db with volume at lowest setting for nighttime listening when wife is asleep in the other room, or when we want to fall asleep to music.

@sspiper

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that there is a wall mounted Maggie available, and it's very inexpensive. $325 the pair. If they're suitable for as small a room as yours, I don't know. They have their direct demo program, so you could try them for 60? days. They may need a sub as they only go down to 100hz, but....

Here's a link to them: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMGW.

-Chris