IGNORED

Running Network Audio Daemon (NAA) images on the Rendu Series

Note that all full versions of Sonic Orbiter OS on the Rendu series already include the NAA Application. The APP is kept up to date and you just need to press update in Apps / Software Manager. If you have NAA selected in APP Switcher as the output protocal that is the only active protocal running on the Rendu at that time. On our system we turn off all the protocals except the one selected for output. 

The naa-###-cubox-i-rendu images that Jussi provides are a seperate operating system maintained and updated by him and not developed by Sonore. These images can run on some of our Rendu hardware, but there are some issues worth noting.

1. The following is the current known campatibility of the naa-###-cubox-i-rendu images with the Rendu series:

1a. Sonic Orbiter SE (Cubox based units) - the hardware is compatible. USB, HDMI, SPDIF are identified as outputs and these are avaialble on the device.

1b. microRendu (all hardware versions) - the hardware is compatible. However, USB, HDMI, SPDIF are identified as outputs while only USB is included in the hardware design. I believe this is for backwards compatibilty with the Cubox based units. FYI Sonore has hardware specific operating systems to avoid this issue. Also, on certain versions of the unit with an ultra low noise Crystek oscilator it is not property utilized and thus the performance of the unit can be adversly affected.

1c. ultraRendu (all hardware versions) - the hardware is compatible. However, USB, HDMI, SPDIF are identified as outputs while only USB is included in the hardware design. I believe this is for backwards compatibilty with the Cubox based units. FYI Sonore has hardware specific operating systems to avoid this issue. The LED is not properly working as intended and this will affect providing support on the unit. Also, the unit's with ultra low noise Crystek oscilator and their corresponding ultra low noise regulator are not property utilized and thus the performance of the unit can be adversly affected.

1d. opticalRendu (all hardware versions) - the hardware is not compatible. 

2. The naa-###-cubox-i-rendu images that Jussi provides do not have a web interface to update or manage the App.

2a. This means you will need to do the work on a sepearter computer and then tranfer the card to the rendu.

2b. This means that there is no feedback on the connected USB device or on the status of the unit.

2c. SonicOrbiter.com will not find and/or allow you to mamage the unit. 

2d. Sonore will not be able to properly provide you with support for your purchase.  

3. While you are encouraged to experiment...you should be aware of the potencial issues. 

As I use my ultraRendu exclusively as an HQPlayer NAA, I find a couple of advantages to using Jussi's NAA images over the "standard" software. First, I get updates to the NAA software the moment they become available. I don't have to request and wait for Sonore to provide the update on their schedule. I don't ever have to pay for a new microSD to get an updated OS so I can get the latest version of NAA.

If anything, the ultraRendu sounds better running Jussi's NAA image. It's certainly not worse....

The downsides you list or really not an issue. If I believe I am having a problem with the ultraRendu, I can always put the Sonore microSD card in it and then get support.

56 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

As I use my ultraRendu exclusively as an HQPlayer NAA, I find a couple of advantages to using Jussi's NAA images over the "standard" software. First, I get updates to the NAA software the moment they become available. I don't have to request and wait for Sonore to provide the update on their schedule. I don't ever have to pay for a new microSD to get an updated OS so I can get the latest version of NAA.

If anything, the ultraRendu sounds better running Jussi's NAA image. It's certainly not worse....

The downsides you list or really not an issue. If I believe I am having a problem with the ultraRendu, I can always put the Snore microSD card in it and then get support.

Sure you have access to his image as quikly as you want it. However, we hold the warranty on all units globally and we need to go through our process to verify new builds of any app. We also bundle updates to make things efficient on our end. All the apps are on a rotation and we would only give priority to one if there is blaring issue.

Your statement about having to pay to get the latest OS to get the latest NAA is very much overstated. SO 2.8 has been under continuous update for free for a long time. 

YMMV, but as noted above you may not be getting all the hardware features enabled using Jussi's NAA image. The lack of proper LED support is just annoying for support, but some of the other issues go against the very reason you bought the unit. 

Sure you can always swap the micro SD card back, but if the issue is with Jussi's NAA image which is a whole different OS...

45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sure you have access to his image as quikly as you want it. However, we hold the warranty on all units globally and we need to go through our process to verify new builds of any app. We also bundle updates to make things efficeint on our end. All the apps are on a rotation and we would only give priority to one if there is blaring issue.

Your statement about having to pay to get the latest OS to get the latest NAA is very much overstated. SO 2.8 has been under continuous update for free for a long time. 

YMMV, but as noted above you may not be getting all the hardware features enabled using Jussi's NAA image. The lack of proper LED support is just annoying for support, but some of the other issues go against the very reason you bought the unit. 

Sure you can always swap the micro SD card back, but if the issue is with Jussi's NAA image which is a whole different OS...

Hey, I stated what I find to be advantages. I did not overstate anything. It appears you do not want your customers to experiment after all. 

Yes, there has been only one paid upgrade to the OS from you guys since I bought my ultraRendu, but it seems rather arbitrary. Almost like you decide you need a revenue boost so you come out with a new version of the OS requiring people to buy a new microSD card from you. There certainly was no noticeable change in the how the ultraRendu functioned after the last paid for upgrade. At least not for Roon or HQPlayer NAA. All I know is that I had to pay for the upgrade if I wanted to get new versions of NAA software moving forward.

20 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Hey, I stated what I find to be advantages. I did not overstate anything. It appears you do not want your customers to experiment after all. 

Yes, there has been only one paid upgrade to the OS from you guys since I bought my ultraRendu, but it seems rather arbitrary. Almost like you decide you need a revenue boost so you come out with a new version of the OS requiring people to buy a new microSD card from you. There certainly was no noticeable change in the how the ultraRendu functioned after the last paid for upgrade. Sat least not for Roon or HQPlayer NAA. All I know is that I had to pay for the upgrade if I wanted to get new versions of NAA software moving forward.

You may have had to buy a card to update from SO 2.5 or lower, but SO 2.8 has been around for some time with free updates.

The sale of the replacement cards are done at a loss of revenue. They are primarilly used for out of warranty support for units that have stopped working due to a currupt OS. Since this is not a DIY project we are commited to provding a new micro SD cards to our customers with the latest version of our OS on them.

The main reasons for new version numbers are to allow for support of more devices, keep Apps working, hardware support, and/or some new software feature that requires it. The reasons are numerous, but they are primarilly updates and not upgrades.  

You are free to experiment. However, I have to keep my customers informed of potencial issues as I see them.