There has been a bit of chat on the Antipodes users community forum about getting JPLAY to work with Squeeze server (LMS) and Squeeze Player by using a UPnP/DLNA plug in for Squeeze. Some have got this to work but say the plug in is limited to 16 bit. I personally haven't got it to work at all.

Has anyone any experience of getting this to work or another way of using JPLAY to control Squeeze because I would be VERY interested if JPLAY could be made to work with Squeeze because of the very much better (in my opinion) sound quality of Squeeze compared to MinimSever and MPN player (which does however run faultlessly on my Antipodes Oladra controlled by JPLAY on my iPad).

I attach screen shots from JPLAY trying to be used with LMS server and Squeeze player.

IMG_1281.thumb.png.a11013ba39d638df1fbba95a482dfa18.png

IMG_1282.thumb.png.72c58eb7338cb8ce956721bf0ffa1a1c.png

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

Unlike the similarly named (but not for same purpose) UPnP/DLNA Bridge LMS plugin, the old UPnP/DLNA Media Interface LMS plugin has not been supported for years, so you're likely to encounter bugs with it, unfortunately. Doubly so, as you appear to be using its (rarely used) UPnP/DLNA renderer emulation function for your Oladra's Squeezelite player, so not just its (better known) UPnP/DLNA media server function for the Logitech Media Server.

You'll probably get the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin to work much better with an actual UPnP/DLNA renderer, so using the Oladra's MPD (via upmpdcli) player instead of its Squeezelite player - though this is probably moot, given your opinion of Squeezelite's audio quality superiority over MPD. 

Can you not simply use LMS's built-in Squeeze player controller (via any web browser app) on your iPad, instead of JPLAY?

You should get a pretty decent UI via the popular & very well maintained Material Skin LMS plugin and the Music & Artist Information LMS plugin. 

Thanks for your time taken to reply. It is appreciated.

Indeed I am too heavily bought in to the superior (to my ears) sound of Squeeze compared to MPD that for the time being I will cancel my subscription to JPLAY and revert to using Material and iPeng with the LMS server and Squeeze player on my Oladra.

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:
5 hours ago, feelingears said:

but I think I find LMS sound better than Minimserver.

Unfortunately Minimserver doesn’t play … it is just a upnp media server, how can you say that Minimserver does or doesn’t sound better?

This impression goes back to when I had a microRendu and now with a Volumio Rivo. JPlay with LMS is better than Volumio too. 

Then the actual player was in MPD in the microRendu, so likely the issue was in microRendu MPD … in order to use JPlay with LMS you must have activated the UPNP server plugin in LMS, therefore you’re back to a UPNP setup.

I use LMS on my Synology and JPlay is also functionally more stable with that than Minimserver

Which is the actual player you’re using? I your dac directly connected to your NAS?

Long time Minimserver and LMS user here and I find Minimserver rock solid (more than 15 years on Minimserver managing a 8TB library without a single issue) while recently LMS (since 8.4.0) has some critical bugs … it was fine up to 8.3.1.

Due to a recent upgrade to AMS 5.0 on the Antipodes streamer/servers we can now use JPLAY with LMS on the server and MPD on the player. I am happily listening now to Led Zep IV with this configuration using the JPLAY app as a controller.

IMG_4499.jpeg

ATC150 active speakers.

9 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

It seems a very complex configuration that can be easily simplified using just Minimserver and the MPD renderer

Minimserver -> JPlay -> MPD

I am not a fan of the sound of MinimServer + MPD and was therefore interested to try LMS + MPD (I show below screenshots of this in the Antipodes set up. I have not intentionally invoked the ‘recursive’ set up. 
IMG_4502.thumb.jpeg.ab539191aacf40cc95a792a647b9d634.jpegIMG_4501.thumb.jpeg.48c79f89c50b496b260562e144a39844.jpeg

ATC150 active speakers.

@stefano_mbp Thanks. I guess the only way to decide is for me to listen and compare to LMS + Squeezelite (obviously that is without JPLAY app). For the moment and unless anything changes I have already decided against MinimServer + MPD on sound quality grounds (at least on my Antipodes Oladra, it may be different on other devices).

ATC150 active speakers.

3 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

Thanks Chris. I have now set it from 10 to 1000, not sure if I can really note a difference.

but I guess that’s just me…

I have mine set at 12000

ATC150 active speakers.

3 hours ago, feelingears said:

So I'm with Fourlegs who finds LMS+JPlay better. So maybe in the next few weeks I'll switch back over to Minimserver because I enjoy the exploration as part of my enjoyment of music, assuming the Minimserver config can hold my interest in both attentive and indirect listening. So far I am liking LMS.

My previous comments with regard to using JPLAY  was with using JPLAY as the controlling app on my iPhone and comparing the sound of using MinimSever + MPD vs Squeeze (LMS) + MPD.

I definitely preferred the sound with the latter, ie Squeeze (LMS) on the server + MPD on the player.

However I confess that was no match in sound quality for when I abandoned JPLAY and went back to  Squeeze (LMS) + Squeezelite controlled either by iPeng or the Material Skin web based controller (they both sound the same).

But then this morning I started wondering if I was missing a trick and whether I could use Squeeze (LMS) + Squeezelite but controlled by JPLAY. As I already had my Antipodes Oladra set up with the Squeeze (LMS) server app + Squeezelite player app I just went into JPLAY’s set up and sure enough there was an option to change from the upnp player to the Oladra player already laoded with Squeezelite.

IMG_4499.thumb.jpeg.c41fb7f6c7041e8a70a5cbd62c9299d4.jpeg 

IMG_4507.thumb.png.a831639c3c49fbe1987218bfe29e6098.png

So now I am listening to Squeeze (LMS) + Squeezelite controlled by JPLAY (the configuration with the 6.52 time shown top left in the screenshot above). And of course the iPeng and Material Skin also work with  this combination of Server and Player apps so I can compare and so far as I can tell they all sound the same but with the added advantage of some of the things that JPLAY does and the other two do not do.

Will I stay with JPLAY? Well the problem is that it does not give me access to the LMS plugins such as BBC Sounds but because I can also use iPeng with Squeeze (LMS) server that isn’t an issue because I just swop to iPeng when I want to listen to a BBC Radio 3 classical concert. So probably, yes, I will use JPLAY most of the time with LMS on my server and Squeezelite on my player.

For any that might be interested the Antipodes latest AMS v5.0 software release makes it very easy to swop between the various server and player app combinations offered and preloaded on their streamers. The pull down menu below shows the combinations available. Where there is just a single name shown such as Roon it loads both the server and player options from them.

IMG_4511.thumb.jpeg.a539cdfdad99ecfb85f857014f81dfb6.jpeg

ATC150 active speakers.

30 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

I have just tried 10000 but don’t know if it actually makes any differences.

did it make any differences to you? If so what differences did you notice?

I have to admit that I haven’t really been able to tell any difference so far! But setting it to 12000 makes me feel better!  😂

Perhaps now I am using JPLAY with LMS and Squeezelite the extra fine quality detail available might let me hear any difference? For sure though there is a significant and very noticeable sound quality upgrade in changing from MinimServer + MPD and going to Squeeze (LMS) + Squeezelite as mentioned in my other post.

ATC150 active speakers.