IGNORED

Setup HQplayer NAA

RCDingen

Hello,

I want to setup one PC with Roon and HQplayer and a second PC as an endpoint with NAA from HQplayer.

The second PC uses Jcat USB an Net card XE with a Supermicro MB X11SSL-F

The DAC uses usb input with Amanero with native DSD512 Linux/Windows firmware_2006be1x Windows 10 Driver Setupuac2 1.1.0.81 

There are 3 types of image files on the Signalist website which one do I need?

naa-430-x64

naa-430-x64ramfs-uac2

naa-430-x64ramfs

Can someone help me with a step by step instruction to get it working.

The Roon and HQplayer Win 10 setup is done and working I only need to get the NAA working.

Rob

Hello Rob, 

is this a T+A DAC 8 DSD? If so I would be interested to know how it will sound under DSD512 Linux compared to Windows. 

If I am correct the naa-430-x64 is the more "general"one which allows you to change for example the endpoint name, with the others you can not. And again if I am correct, you can "put" the naa-430-x64 on a USB stick and plug it in and restart you endpoint PC. Perhaps this will get you started and others can jump in to help. 

Robert

Hello Robert,

No I build a DSD dac and use Roon with HQplayer to output DSD512.

I tried 2 Images naa-430-x64 and naa-430-x64ramfs-uac2.

Both boot the PC but are not visible in HQplayer.

The startup screen goes very fast and I think there are errors.

Is there a way to view those errors?

If I use the exe version under windows it works.

Rob

1 hour ago, RCDingen said:

Both boot the PC but are not visible in HQplayer.

If the pc has two or more Ethernet ports that can be the issue.

Using the NAA image you must have only one Ethernet port on the pc.

The “workaround” is to use the HQPlayer embedded OS image, boot, then login as root (no password) and disable HQPlayer with these commands

systemctl stop hqplayerd

systemctl disable hqplayerd

… on HQPlayer embedded OS there are both Player and NAA

Stefano

My audio system

21 hours ago, Miska said:

You can also use the naa-430-x64 image, and then edit /etc/systemd/network/wired.network file and change the interface match rule to a specific ethernet port instead of the default generic "e*" which matches all ethernet ports.

Hi Miska,

I'm a noob in this area.

I can edit the file no problem but what do I need to put in there and how do I know which interface I need to use.

Rob

25 minutes ago, RCDingen said:

I can edit the file no problem but what do I need to put in there and how do I know which interface I need to use.

You can run "ifconfig" to see which interface id to use. I cannot know what your machine has.

Alternatively you can use the HQPlayer OS image as instructed above by @stefano_mbp.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 12/19/2022 at 4:11 PM, Miska said:

You can run "ifconfig" to see which interface id to use. I cannot know what your machine has.

Alternatively you can use the HQPlayer OS image as instructed above by @stefano_mbp.

I look at ifconfig and the network name was  enp3s0f0 and change the letter e to the network name in the wired.network file.

It didn't help.

Now I want to try HQPlayer OS image, but which one do I need to install on a regular computer?

Rob

10 minutes ago, RCDingen said:

I look at ifconfig and the network name was  enp3s0f0 and change the letter e to the network name in the wired.network file.

It didn't help.

Now I want to try HQPlayer OS image, but which one do I need to install on a regular computer?

Rob

If your computer support AVX2 then download the x64avx2 version, if the computer is an old one use x64sse42 version

Stefano

My audio system

This "old" category also includes Atom/Celeron/Pentium branded chips which all use Atom cores. These don't support AVX2 (yet).

Although I'd expect AVX2 to appear on Atoms, because the efficiency cores in 12th Gen and newer Intel Core are Atom cores and they do support AVX2. It just takes time to trickle down.

4 hours ago, RCDingen said:

I have a ASUS WS C246M PROSE whit a Intel Xeon E-2104G - 3.2 GHz4 cores - 4 threads - 8 MB cache.

Which settings in HQplayer is optimal for this combo?

DAC is the DSC2

I don't have experience with this particular CPU. But I believe it should be able to do the default settings to DSD256 which is my recommendation also for DSC2.

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator = ASDM7ECv2

18 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't have experience with this particular CPU. But I believe it should be able to do the default settings to DSD256 which is my recommendation also for DSC2.

1x = poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator = ASDM7ECv2

I tried this settings and the processor load was around 80% and sometimes the audio paused for a second.

If I switch to DSD128 I have no dropouts and processor load was around 50%.

So is the processor not strong enough?

On 12/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, stefano_mbp said:

If the pc has two or more Ethernet ports that can be the issue.

Using the NAA image you must have only one Ethernet port on the pc.

The “workaround” is to use the HQPlayer embedded OS image, boot, then login as root (no password) and disable HQPlayer with these commands

systemctl stop hqplayerd

systemctl disable hqplayerd

… on HQPlayer embedded OS there are both Player and NAA

This NAA setup works perfect.

Thanks Stefano.

Rob

1 hour ago, RCDingen said:

I tried this settings and the processor load was around 80% and sometimes the audio paused for a second.

If I switch to DSD128 I have no dropouts and processor load was around 50%.

So is the processor not strong enough?

Try with Multicore DSP set to grayed and set to checked. I would expect it to work with the setting grayed. But could be that you run out of CPU power. But I have i5-7600T doing those settings which is not as powerful as your CPU. But it is running HQPlayer Embedded on Ubuntu Server 22.04. So it is slightly different.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, RCDingen said:

It didn't help.

Just to check, you rebooted after the change? I didn't remember to mention that detail...

18 minutes ago, RCDingen said:

I tried again changed the network name and reboot.

I can ping the device but it keeps invisible in HQP setting.

OK, I guess "systemctl status networkaudiod" still shows the service waiting for the dependencies.

You can just use the HQPlayer OS image instead if it works, no need to burn more time on this. These are regular problems with multi-homed devices.