IGNORED

Best Version of Bach Cello Suites?

I don't find Ma or Rostropovich versions particularly remarkable, even though they are probably the most popular and most often mentioned. 

In my opinion, nothing on record surpasses Pablo Casals' readings. Of course, the quality of his recording is very far from audiophile requirements. I like his versions on Pearl or Opus Kura more than the EMI reissues, however recent EMI was easier to listen than earlier ones.

Some very good archival versions include those by Pierre Fournier (he has at least four) and Janos Starker (most seem to like the Mercury version more).

From the newer ones, I recommend to try Anner Bylsma, Jaap ter Linden, Pieter Wispelwey, various sets.

Watkin is not bad either and recorded well. Heinrich Schiff is interesting.

Having said that, and having mentioned several choices, I would like to recommend that you try and listen to any one that catches your attention. Surely every interested listener will find recordings that are more appealing among the considerable number of versions of Bach's cello sonatas available. Happy listening!

34 minutes ago, Dandou said:

There were always been different kinds of transcriptions of the works of Bach. Violin concertos that were transcribed for keyboard, the Art of the Fugue, transcribed for string quartet or for orchestra… There's nothing wrong in that. 

Of course. There are dogs and there are cats. Do you want cats to pretend to be dogs or do you want dogs to act like cats? Bach's repertoire for violin is quite extensive by the way. If there are 50 or 100 pretty fine renditions of Cello Suites performed on the cello, what should encourage interest in arrangements for other instruments? Maybe a lack of interest in a proper performance? I can't help you there. 

12 minutes ago, Dandou said:

Had you read my full post, you would have noticed that I said that I have a half a dozen of recordings of the Cello Suites, and that one of my favorites is the 2007 recording by Jean-Guihen Queyras. 

I guess I remember your post. Was there any mention of a violin version? I recently saw a poster for a performance of the Goldberg Variations in a transcription for piano and drums. I guess I still haven't come to my senses thereafter. But someone likes it, for sure. The world is hopeless even without Bach on drums, so relax.

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

Don't get that. Composers have done transcriptions for other instruments or other groupings of instruments from an original composition for hundreds of years.  Including Bach, who often wrote versions of his cello, violin, flute, and lute works for piano.

Other composers also do it to their own works. 

It can add interest or other layers of understanding to a known work. The orchestration of "Pictures at an Exhibition" is one of the favorites of the classical repertoire.

As are small orchestra versions of Shostakovich's quartets. 

Segovia would have had an abbreviated career if he hadn't done versions of works not intended for guitar. 

There are many other examples.

As I said I have nothing against it. If someone prefer transcriptions of well established scores, let be it. I have no problem to imagine someone enjoying Wagner's Der Ring performed on mouth harp. But I will stay with orchestra and singers, sorry for being so traditional.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Funny you should mention mouth harp. I had a friend who would perform this theme song from an American TV western on mouth harp, and it was terrific. 😄

Jud, I have no reason to doubt...) Of course, there are people who are experts at playing the mouth harp. Or the bagpipes, or any other thing that can be used to produce sound. There's nothing one can do about it. One can mentally ask what the fuck, and go about one's business. 

The original question was about which versions of the Cello Suites are the best. I think the question is very clear and suggests a clear answer. What do transcriptions for other instruments have to do with it? Perhaps I'm being too blunt, in any case obfuscating clear questions with crooked answers doesn't seem to be the point.

11 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

@AnotherSpin Maybe good to realize that even you prefer transcriptions. Isn't your favorite version the Casals? Who actually played the suites on an instrument quite unlike the one Bach wrote them for (larger, different strings etc.). A special case is the fifth suite which is written for a 5 string instrument, possibly a violoncello piccolo or a type of viola (which makes the Kim Kashkashian version more credible). Things are not so cut and dry as you make them appear :-)

Things appear as they appear and I have nothing to do with it. Cello is cello, violin is violin. You may continue to split the hair, and I'd better listen to some Bach. No, not on a wooden spoons, I am too dry and lazy for such experiments.

Just now, Dandou said:

If you really want to be pedantic, the instrument for which the suites were written is actually a matter of controversy. 

Quote from wikipedia: 

Recent research has suggested that the suites were not necessarily written for the familiar cello played between the legs (da gamba), but an instrument played rather like a violin, on the shoulder (da spalla). Variations in the terminology used to refer to musical instruments during this period have led to modern confusion, and the discussion continues about what instrument "Bach intended", and even whether he intended any instrument in particular. Sigiswald Kuijkenand Ryo Terakado have both recorded the complete suites on this "new" instrument, known today as a violoncello or viola da spalla;[11] reproductions of the instrument have been made by luthier Dmitry Badiarov.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cello_Suites_(Bach)

Bach, himself, transcribed the fifth suite to lute. 

Pedantic? I only prefer to listen Cello Suites performed on cello... :-) No need to tell modern instruments are not the same as in Bach's lifetime, but we're not going to re-ignite an endless dispute about modern vs HIP again, are we?