IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of... Muddy Waters’s Folk Singer

5 hours ago, PeterG said:

A great piece on what is undoubtedly one of the best sounding CDs of all time.  Thanks!

Now I just need to get busy on your recs in footnote 1...

Thank you! Blues Hoot is probably the one most likely to appeal to Folk Singer fans, and overall I think the Hooker album is the best sounding of the three. The Dixon albums is great, but has some early-stereo hard panning that sounds awkward now.

4 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Josh, you truly have the patience of Job. I do not know how you do it. The only version of this recording I have is the MoFi gold CD and it is indeed superb. 

Thank you for the kind comments. Each TBVO is a labor of love!

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Amazing job, Josh. Is this the MFSL CD being reviewed: 

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– UDCD 593, Chess ‎– UDCD 593?

Yes, that's the right MFSL. Unlike some albums that MFSL has transferred/mastered/issued a few times, so far they've only done Folk Singer once, and it was on Moffat's original GAIN system.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Hi-

I've listened to this several times  in the last few days.

Can I say something sacrilegious?

I think there's too much echo and reverb on this. Especially on Muddy's voice. Makes him sound at times like he's singing from that basement, as it were.

I think it would sound better if Muddy was a little less echoey, and a bit more unaltered, present and up front. 

Not saying it isn't really good sounding overall - great tone, space of instruments, etc. 

Sorry if this offends someone.

There’s a link in the article where Steve Hoffman expresses the same thing. I wouldn’t mind a remixed version without the echo, but the echo was part of the Chess sound, and I enjoy it. 

If you like a drier acoustic blues sound, listen to the Blues Hoot album mentioned in the first footnote. 

I just published a brief update. I didn't wait to receive my own copy of the 2002 Discovery CD from overseas, since images online showed that it shared the same liner notes as the 2010 Master SACD that I already owned, as well as nearly identical catalog numbers. The 2002 Discovery CD arrived yesterday, and it's a different mastering. It's not good, but it's different. So, for completeness's sake, I've changed a few paragraphs in the TBVO to reflect this.

• 2 weeks later...