IGNORED

Soekris 2541, should I buy one?

Hi all,

Its time again to try another DAC. Last year, I tried a Schiit multibit Gungnir and a Denafrips Ares II, both nice DAC's but they could be outdone in

some areas by a Chord Mojo or a Metrum Octave so I chose to move on. The tambre prowess of the NOS Octave is more my cup of tea, trading off a bit on dynamics,

transients and resolution to a Chord Mojo. The weakness with both seems to be brittleness in the treble with some 44/16 recordings. While I'd like to go the Spring KTE route,

thats $3600 with pre option vs $1300 for the Soekris 2541. I do want/need to change to XLR now that my amplifier solution requires XLR and a physical volume control

avoids buying a separate XLR pre

Thoughts/opinions? Will a Soekris 2541 still be brittle in the upper treble for 44/16 recordings?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Hi all,

Its time again to try another DAC. Last year, I tried a Schiit multibit Gungnir and a Denafrips Ares II, both nice DAC's but they could be outdone in

some areas by a Chord Mojo or a Metrum Octave so I chose to move on. The tambre prowess of the NOS Octave is more my cup of tea, trading off a bit on dynamics,

transients and resolution to a Chord Mojo. The weakness with both seems to be brittleness in the treble with some 44/16 recordings. While I'd like to go the Spring KTE route,

thats $3600 with pre option vs $1300 for the Soekris 2541. I do want/need to change to XLR now that my amplifier solution requires XLR and a physical volume control

avoids buying a separate XLR pre

Thoughts/opinions? Will a Soekris 2541 still be brittle in the upper treble for 44/16 recordings?

If its only 'some' 16/44.1 recordings that sound brittle, its probably the recordings at fault.

Can offer no advice re the Soekris, but if you are looking at “R2R” approaches, I’d recommend also considering EC designs.  Current products are the PowerDACs R and S , both Toslink only but with onboard volume.  R for use with headphones or power amp, S is direct to (efficient) speakers.  See https://www.ecdesigns.nl and the extensive thread on this site.  I’m a v. happy owner of the previous generation(s) from ECD.