IGNORED

HQPlayer settings for specific DACs

smooring

10 hours ago, AudioExplorer said:

Do modulator settings matter when upsampling to DSD with ESS DACs since these DACs seem to be remodulating the input DSD signal anyway? 

Yes, IME modulator settings significantly matter. Don't ask me why. We have only information which ESS provides and what Miska wrote.
I personally did not find a difference in sonic behavior of DACs with direct DSD and DACs with ESS chip when they are used with HQPlayer. My experience is that DACs with ESS chip react to change of HQPlayer filters and modulators in the same way as DACs with direct DSD.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
On 5/7/2023 at 12:27 PM, sumitc said:

@Miska In my HT config the surround processor is limited to 192kHz PCM input/output.  When using an Okto DAC (8-channel) with my SSP what PCM settings do you recommend in HQPlayer for NS/Dither and DAC bits?  Thx.

Just reposting this.

At least for me, and Lampizator Big 7 MKII with JL Sounds USB card, I need to keep 48k DSD unchecked and auto rate family unchecked to prevent intermittent background tics/pops/crackling.  I have tried everything I can think of to “fix” this issue, but have come to the conclusion that this DAC simply does not fully support 48k DSD.   The DAC is a circa 2021 configuration.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, Escarbille said:

Thank you, so if I understood correctly, modulator 5 is for ES chips and 7 is for AK chips, is that correct?

Yes, it depends on how the DAC is implemented. For ESS, the 5th order modulators work better due to how DSD support is implemented there.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Run it at DSD256, with it's DSD filter frequency set to the lowest corner.

what do you mean by lowest corner ?   the SML D300 have a 13K  26K  or 52K cutoff 

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I would need setting recommendations for the SMSL D300 as well.

Cutoff at 13khz, fixed mode. And I want DSD256.

Running on a M1 MacBook Air that I don't want to max out. Because the CPU gets to 70+ degrees super fast.

Looking for some "light" settings.

I currently have this running and the CPU stays reasonable cool and there is no skipping at all.

Screenshot_2023-05-18-14-35-44-653_com.roon.mobile.jpg

ASDM7EC light works as well.

you 

37 minutes ago, MarcMarc said:

I would need setting recommendations for the SMSL D300 as well.

Cutoff at 13khz, fixed mode. And I want DSD256.

Running on a M1 MacBook Air that I don't want to max out. Because the CPU gets to 70+ degrees super fast.

Looking for some "light" settings.

I currently have this running and the CPU stays reasonable cool and there is no skipping at all.

Screenshot_2023-05-18-14-35-44-653_com.roon.mobile.jpg

ASDM7EC light works as well.

you know you are not using polysinc short or DSD5modulator  with DSD source ?🙂

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

anyway   your dac your ears your choice .  but  Polysinc ext2 with ASDM5 x512   or ASDM5EC x 256 is what i use with the SMSL D300

4 minutes ago, juanitox said:

anyway   your dac your ears your choice .  but  Polysinc ext2 with ASDM5 x512   or ASDM5EC x 256 is what i use with the SMSL D300

Oh I'm just asking in case I mess something up and it wouldn't work and just display something that doesn't actually work etc.

If you could just screenshots of your settings that I can double check everything, that would be great 😅😅😅

If I'm not mistaken (but my dark mode might be playing tricks on me) you have direct sdm enabled for DSD sources, and they do not get upsampled. ?

Thanks for Ur settings.

I have to start writing down what I tried already.

*Using ASDM5-EC super now.

CPU stays cool still.

49 minutes ago, MarcMarc said:

If I'm not mistaken (but my dark mode might be playing tricks on me) you have direct sdm enabled for DSD sources, and they do not get upsampled. ?

No, it's only such a funny color in dark mode. He has those checkboxes cleared.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
5 minutes ago, bogi said:

No, it's only such a funny color in dark mode. He has those checkboxes cleared.

Thanks. I suspected that. Just wanted to double check.

I changed to 44.1x256.. and ASDM5-EC "light".  Is there a reason to use 48x256?

My pcm files are mostly Redbook CDs.

Is there a easy way to integrate Crossfeed, PEQ or convolution filters (headphone guy) into HQPlayer?

(MacBook M1 air cpu stays at 50 degrees Celsius with ASDM5-ec light)