IGNORED

HQPlayer settings for specific DACs

smooring

I am very new to HQP (2nd day) and have been reading hundreds of posts here trying to learn about the capabilities of HQP. One thing I have not seen, but could have easily missed it, is a place where people can list their favorite HQP settings for different DACs. I know everyone is different and their preferred settings might be different than mine but it would be nice to have a starting point(s) from which to begin exploration….especially with a program such as HQP which has so many possible options. If something like this is not posted elsewhere I’m going to suggest that people post a screenshot of their HQP settings starting with a listing of the DAC being fed by HQPlayer.  You could also include a brief description of why you chose the settings you did.

I currently have a Mac Mini M1 running both Roon and HQPlayer feeding a Benchmark DAC3B. I would love to hear what settings other Benchmark DAC owners are using. I also have a Holo Spring 3 KTE coming in about a week so I would be interested in what settings other Holo Spring or May owners might be using…but please don’t limit your responses to these DACs as I’m sure there are many people like me out there who are just starting out and feel a little overwhelmed at the myriad of setting in HQP!

Ethernet -> EtherREGEN (w/Afterdark LPS & Master Clock) -> Cat-8 Ethernet -> MacMini M1 16GB -> Roon -> HQPlayer-> (USB) -> Holo Spring 3 KTE -> (XLR) -> MiniDSP SHD -> (XLR) -> Benchmark ABH2 -> B&W 802 D2

My understanding is also that HQPlayer "plays math" with our DACs in order to generate the SQ advantages that it does - and of course all DACs are different.

I have a Pro Audio Dangerous Convert 2, upsampling Redbook to 176.4 kHz/32-bit via Sinc-S/Gauss1.

RME adi-2 in direct dsd mode, 256, asdm7ec2, ext 2.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:05 AM, Mark Labbett said:

well from the tittle of the thread and the reply i just thought that there would be DAC specific best settings and if there is then i am inquiring as to what those might be.

Yeah, that is what I had hoped for when I posted. Sadly no such luck

Ethernet -> EtherREGEN (w/Afterdark LPS & Master Clock) -> Cat-8 Ethernet -> MacMini M1 16GB -> Roon -> HQPlayer-> (USB) -> Holo Spring 3 KTE -> (XLR) -> MiniDSP SHD -> (XLR) -> Benchmark ABH2 -> B&W 802 D2

In HQplayer the filter settings (for PCM, whether upsampling to PCM or to DSD) and the modulator settings (for DSD) are often quite personal.  Why?  Like any other component in your signal path stack, the decisions you make for sound quality have everything to do with your own:

* room acoustics

* speaker (or headphone) capabilities

* listening preferences and hearing issues

* music styles and recording qualities

* (and in the case of HQPlayer) cpu/server power and demands

It is, therefore, somewhat superfluous to take others' recommendations when you know nothing of their systems or preferences.  Listen for yourself and make filter and modulator decisions, just as you would sample rate decisions, based on the equipment, room and listening preferences you are "stuck with".

OTOH, setting things like dac bit depth can be cataloged by dac.  In the case of the Holo May, for example, setting bit depth to 20 bits is the May's best setting for linearity and least noise. 

14 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

for  the minimax supreme what would be the best bit depth setting?

As Ted mentioned above, I set my DAC Bit to "Default" and easily got the best sound.  This sets the DAC to 32 bit.  Definitely start there.  I've tried many other settings, and none were nearly as good.

As far as other settings, I find poly-sinc-guass-long with NS5, and poly-sinc-guass-long with ASDM7ECv2 to be the best for me so far.  I venture out with other settings, but when I switch back, I seem to prefer the sound.  Too many choices!

I am currently having issues though.  I've emailed Jussi about it.  I ordered another DAC to test and compare just to be sure it's not a DAC or driver issue with my Eastern Electric DAC.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:50 PM, ted_b said:

In HQplayer the filter settings (for PCM, whether upsampling to PCM or to DSD) and the modulator settings (for DSD) are often quite personal.  Why?  Like any other component in your signal path stack, the decisions you make for sound quality have everything to do with your own:

* room acoustics

* speaker (or headphone) capabilities

* listening preferences and hearing issues

* music styles and recording qualities

* (and in the case of HQPlayer) cpu/server power and demands

It is, therefore, somewhat superfluous to take others' recommendations when you know nothing of their systems or preferences.  Listen for yourself and make filter and modulator decisions, just as you would sample rate decisions, based on the equipment, room and listening preferences you are "stuck with".

OTOH, setting things like dac bit depth can be cataloged by dac.  In the case of the Holo May, for example, setting bit depth to 20 bits is the May's best setting for linearity and least noise. 

For modulator choice, one big determining factor is also DAC architecture, but mostly in terms of choosing between 5th and 7th order modulators. And as special case the M-modulators.

DAC Bits is purely choice based on DAC hardware.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I am using T+A DSD. I have been using poly-sinc-xtr-lp with 48x512 and ASDM7 512+fs for long time and was happy with it.

I just found out about the EC modulators. With my current HW I cannot use the ASDM7ec versions.

After trying a few options, I am able to use either ASDM5ec or ASDM7ec 512+fs at DSD256. Not sure what is the difference.

I also trying to decide between ext3 and xtr-lp. Still not sure which one is better.

I will be happy to get some technical explanation or what people prefer to use with T+A.

24 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

After trying a few options, I am able to use either ASDM5ec or ASDM7ec 512+fs at DSD256. Not sure what is the difference.

Those 512x+ versions are AMSDM, which makes those completely different from the others. Only recommended for DSD rates of 512, 1024 and so on. Although allowed for 256 rates too.

If you can use ASDM5EC, I'd recommend using it at DSD256. Will give you very good performance.

24 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

I also trying to decide between ext3 and xtr-lp. Still not sure which one is better.

There's no clear better for choosing between these, which ever sounds better to you. Technically both are very good, but different.

I would recommend to pay attention to the "apodizing count" in the GUI. It is running analysis on the source as the playback proceeds. If the counter increases to values over 10, I would strongly suggest choosing one of the apodizing filters (refer to the manual table).

1 hour ago, sbenyo said:

Update. Waiting longer it does get to high number with ext3 which currently sounds better to me.

Filter choice doesn't affect Apod counter value, as it result of analysis run on the input data before any DSP is applied by HQPlayer. Analysis proceeds together with the playback, so you know final figure at end of the track.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 12:42 AM, sbenyo said:

I am using T+A DSD. I have been using poly-sinc-xtr-lp with 48x512 and ASDM7 512+fs for long time and was happy with it.

I just found out about the EC modulators. With my current HW I cannot use the ASDM7ec versions.

I will be happy to get some technical explanation or what people prefer to use with T+A.

Did some testing and in my system I am now using sinc-M + AMSDM7 512+fs, all upsampled to DSD 512. In my system better separation of instruments and more fluid high frequencies, to pick a few differences.